"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not likely Kayelle. Neither is very interested in cooking. It will continue to fall on me. I really don't mind as it's another reason for us to get together. My sister is 78 YO and she's cooking for 19 people. She still would prefer every holiday at her house if she had that choice. She should be letting her next generation take over but won't. I guess that's normal, my mom didn't give it up easily either.
I understand your point Andy but here's another. At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons. I don't mean to sound "preachy" but it's certainly something to think about.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Whatever they're serving at the airport

Have to say goodbye to our beautiful Cozumel on Sunday.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I understand your point Andy but here's another. At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons. I don't mean to sound "preachy" but it's certainly something to think about.

I understand your point. But that's something you and I have no control over.

Family customs change over time. My daughters are close. That will continue after I die. If they choose to celebrate holidays in a slightly different way, I can't complain. What's important is that they continue to keep the family togetherness alive.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

My Mom always did a big, celebratory dinner for any occasion, and I've continued on in that vein. We still kept up when we moved to MA even though it was just the two of us. When my SIL and her hubby moved here they joined us even though my MIL never did anything special for Easter. I've pretty much gotten tired of being the one always inviting/shopping/cooking/cleaning up since then so it will be just the two of us this year. Going to mix things up a bit. Himself will be grilling a small-but-thick steak and a couple of boneless chicken breasts. Salad, veggie, and baked potato to go along side. No dessert...our waistlines don't need it per our doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons...
I'm so happy our two kids cook and eat together since we moved. For Christmas the last couple years her guyfriend's family has had our two over for the "family" dinner and traditions. I cannot wait until we're all back together in OH so the kids can come over along with their friends, and their friends friends, and anyone else who wants to join us. I miss big dinners.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Master Chef

We used to have big family get togethers for Easter dinner, but things have changed over the years. There's not many of us left, and I'm pretty much at the top of the ladder.

I'm so excited about this Easter weekend. Daughters, grandchildren and I are meeting bright and early in the morning for our yearly visit to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It's only an hour away. Easter dinner may be at In N Out, or wherever, but as many of you have said, it's all about family.

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR
Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
Head Chef

After having a horrible winter here in The Finger Lakes of New York.
We are change it all up and barbequing.
Ribs, potato salad, coleslaw, pies for dessert, thinking cherry and apple.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Wine Guy

We're not religious, but Easter weekend is still the big spring get together for our family. We're having 13 people for dinner today, which will be around 2:00. I'm doing rotisserie lamb on the grill and a ham in the oven.

I have a rosemary cream gravy I'll serve with the lamb, and blackberry balsamic sauce for the ham. Everyone else is bringing the sides, so I don't know what those will be..

This is my favorite eating holiday.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Head Chef

We're going to a baseball game. Hot Dogs and a beer for us. We were invited to a friend's house, but already had the tickets.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
We used to have big family get togethers for Easter dinner, but things have changed over the years. There's not many of us left, and I'm pretty much at the top of the ladder.

I'm so excited about this Easter weekend. Daughters, grandchildren and I are meeting bright and early in the morning for our yearly visit to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It's only an hour away. Easter dinner may be at In N Out, or wherever, but as many of you have said, it's all about family.

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR
Cheryl, I'm green with envy over your day in the California poppy fields!
For breathtaking beauty it rivals any other sight in this whole country!!
It's just one more reason to love our beautiful state. Have a glorious day making breathtaking memories with your family!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Master Chef

Breakfast will be colored hard boiled eggs and homemade Italian Meat Pie (Pizzagaina)

Stuffed mushrooms
Smoked ham shank
Mashed potatoes
Baked sweet potato
Fresh asparagus topped with melted butter and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheeses
Homemade garlic bread
Homemade cheesecake with cherry topping

Tags
menu