"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Easter Menu

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere and usually it's posted a week or so in advance.

Even though I've cancelled the family dinner due to my husband's illness, I am still cooking on a small scale. We still have to eat. I roasted a turkey breast today which we will have for dinner, with leftovers tomorrow. I'm also baking a half ham tomorrow since DH wants ham and I want him to eat to keep his strength up. I wasn't going to make my Easter Cheese or Beet Horseradish since the family wasn't coming, but I did it at the last minute. I'm so glad I made it because I tried it and it tastes so good. It's just not Easter without it. There's no reason I can't make it throughout the year, but it's usually just on Easter.

No colored eggs or candy. We don't need that. I will just cook some vegetables to go with our meat and we will have a quiet dinner together. The dog sure was happy that I cooked that turkey!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
Master Chef

Not sure how you missed it, but here it is Carol.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...enu-89583.html

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter is making dinner. Her chemo medicine never arrived for this month's session. She was supposed to be on it this week. There was a major screw up at the hospital. Needless to say, she is very upset and cooking is her way of handling the problem.

So she decided to cook after all. She is having raviolis and a half baked ham. There will only be the four of us. I had planned on just staying home and having a quiet day all by myself.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Last year we did the big meal with almost the whole family at our place, a full spread with a leg of lamb as the star. This year we have a lot going on and my parents will be down in a couple weeks, so it's just me, DH and the Sproutlets.

We're having broiled fish and honeycomb. My dad bought us some honeycomb a while back that we haven't broken out yet, so my mind ran with it. I just picked up a few cod fillets, will broil them with lemon, lime, paprika, cumin, s&p and I'm making bread and a veg of some sort to round things out.

Next year I'll have to make a ham, as DH grew up with an Easter ham.every year.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I don't know how I missed this thread either. Must "old-timers" setting in. LOL

After my mother-in-law passed away I took up making the dishes everyone expected from her Slovak ancestry, such as the Easter Cheese and Beet Horseradish. They all like it, and I will make it as long as I'm able, but somebody else better learn how to do it. My step-daughter is probably the only candidate. She wants it but doesn't want to take the time to learn how to make it. In my laziness, I have really short-cut the recipe so it's now so easy to make. To us, it tastes the same as the original so that's what really matters. Someone here, I forget who, makes the Beet Horseradish from fresh beets and horseradish root and that's the way my MIL made it. I use canned sliced beets and BL Extra Hot Horseradish in a jar. Same results as far as we are concerned, but so much easier. I'm sure my step-daughter could handle that if she would just come over when I'm making it and the Easter Cheese, which is just eggs and milk cooked until the whey separates and formed into a ball. My newly acquired SIL who is 20 years my junior will probably take over the family dinners after I'm gone.

Since I don't eat sweets, I never think about dessert, but my DIL always remembers and brings something.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Having dinner at my mother's. Three out of four siblings will be there and keeping with tradition we will be having baked ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies, and some kind of dessert. We dropped a ham off there a couple of days ago so my mother could get it going in the afternoon. Were going to bring more, but seems like everybody has things covered. There will only be 5 of us in total so we don't want to bring too much. Going to do a bit of yardwork for her before dinner. Things have finally dried up so I can get some raking done...
Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
Executive Chef

One of the most important things to my family is taking home leftovers. If I didn't have leftovers for them to take home they would be so disappointed. My DIL even brings her own containers to every family dinner! So I make sure I make double of what I think we're going to eat. Sometimes it's a struggle to get to keep some leftovers here for DH and me. They really don't like to cook. LOL
Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
One of the most important things to my family is taking home leftovers. If I didn't have leftovers for them to take home they would be so disappointed. My DIL even brings her own containers to every family dinner! So I make sure I make double of what I think we're going to eat. Sometimes it's a struggle to get to keep some leftovers here for DH and me. They really don't like to cook. LOL
That's why I never enjoyed eating at a restaurant on a holiday and coming home to a "cold" kitchen.

Holidays are all about leftovers and a cluttered kitchen filled with things to pick at.

My problem is that each holiday tends to last for a month or so!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking a couple BLT's are in my very near future.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm thinking a couple BLT's are in my very near future.
Bunny , lettuce and tomato?

Tags
menu