Easter menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
What are your food plans?

I posted this at LP's salmon thread but thought I'd share it here too....

My older son is serving salmon for Easter dinner. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Steve and I don't like salmon, but believe me, we'll eat it and keep quiet.

He purchased two very large salmon fillets at Costco and he's making a crab cake type stuffing to go between them. He's going to tie the whole thing together with butchers twine, bake it and serve hollandaise sauce over the sliced portions. Bless his heart, it sounds like a very ambitious and expensive undertaking to me! My easy contributions to the meal will be my special rice pilaf and bacon wrapped fresh asparagus.

The real celebration is the family all together at the table.

You are good parents to appreciate your son's dinner and the effort he puts into making it, even if it isn't your favorite fish.

One year I brought asparagus cooked just right. Later I was in my SIL refrigerator getting a new can of soda pop and I spied a whole tray of prepped asparagus. She didn't say a word, and neither did I.

This year I am asked to bring a hors de appetizer. I'm thinking cheddar thumbprints with pepper jelly centers.

We don't have family close by and aren't religious, but I like to take any opportunity to splurge a little ;) I'm thinking of getting some lamb chops and searing them with a garlic-herb-evoo paste, along with roasted asparagus topped with crispy prosciutto and aged balsamic vinegar and some potatoes TBD. Maybe creamy scalloped potatoes, or I might roast them with the asparagus. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

In the morning we've invited our neighbors and their kids over for an Easter celebration that usually involves an egg hunt. This year, the main event is a piñata. We'll have mimosas and vegetarian appetizers for the adults. Candy for the kids.

I have mentioned the various food issues members of my family have. I got tired of trying to figure out what I could cook that everyone would be happy with so, this time I put it on them. I emailed them and told them to tell me what to cook for dinner that everyone would be OK with. The common denominator was chicken marsala, an old favorite of theirs, so the menu is set. It's chicken marsala, rice pilaf, tossed salad and cast iron rolls.

SO was going to make paklava but sprained her thumb along with a hairline fracture Wednesday morning so she's going with a bundt cake and brownies.

Last edited:
No body voted on Dessert?

Dessert is easier and SO is in charge of that. Chocolate and ice cream are perennial winners. My eldest is OOK as long as fruit isn't involved. For whatever reason, she doesn't like any desert with fruit in it.

There was also no voting on appetizers. I just asked them each to bring one.

Dessert is easier and SO is in charge of that. Chocolate and ice cream are perennial winners. My eldest is OOK as long as fruit isn't involved. For whatever reason, she doesn't like any desert with fruit in it.

There was also no voting on appetizers. I just asked them each to bring one.

You is too fast Andy, and I am slow on the up-take. I hadn't read your last sentence, hence, I deleted my question/ comment. Whew. I wouldn't want anyone to forget dessert.

And I am sorry to read that SO had a bit of an accident. I hope it heals quickly.

Last edited:
Only been home from the hospital for a week after getting my knee replaced so we're going at Easter quite leisurely. It will only be the two of us, which will also make the event more manageable.

We bought a nice bone-in ham and some sweet potatoes this week, along with some beautiful fresh strawberries.

I'll bake the ham overnight and make bakechef's praline yams to go along with. Add some steamed Italian green beans and turn the strawberries into a pie for dessert. That's all we'll need. My appetite hasn't gotten back to normal yet so I don't require much. Glenn's been making noises about "cutting back" to lose some weight, not that he really needs it but he thinks so.

The good thing about this meal is that there, no doubt, will be plenty of leftover ham. Now...that rings my chimes. I see lots of possibilities.

In the morning we've invited our neighbors and their kids over for an Easter celebration that usually involves an egg hunt. This year, the main event is a piñata. We'll have mimosas and vegetarian appetizers for the adults. Candy for the kids.

I have mentioned the various food issues members of my family have. I got tired of trying to figure out what I could cook that everyone would be happy with so, this time I put it on them. I emailed them and told them to tell me what to cook for dinner that everyone would be OK with. The common denominator was chicken marsala, an old favorite of theirs, so the menu is set. It's chicken marsala, rice pilaf, tossed salad and cast iron rolls.

SO was going to make paklava but sprained her thumb along with a hairline fracture Wednesday morning so she's going with a bundt cake and brownies.

I really gotta hand it to you Andy for your patience with your picky eater family. Great idea you had for putting it on them this year. Maybe now they'll get the hint that they are one hard bunch to please. I would suggest that one of them do the cooking next time for a change, and you'll bring the sides they request. Us seniors need to cash in on some well deserved perks now and then. ;)

I really gotta hand it to you Andy for your patience with your picky eater family. Great idea you had for putting it on them this year. Maybe now they'll get the hint that they are one hard bunch to please. I would suggest that one of them do the cooking next time for a change, and you'll bring the sides they request. Us seniors need to cash in on some well deserved perks now and then. ;)

Not likely Kayelle. Neither is very interested in cooking. It will continue to fall on me. I really don't mind as it's another reason for us to get together. My sister is 78 YO and she's cooking for 19 people. She still would prefer every holiday at her house if she had that choice. She should be letting her next generation take over but won't. I guess that's normal, my mom didn't give it up easily either.

A mixed bag at my house.

Kielbasa, ham, pickled eggs etc... early in the day, vegetable lasagna and a salad late in the day. A few pieces of chocolate, made with alcohol sugars, from a raggedy old rabbit. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Not likely Kayelle. Neither is very interested in cooking. It will continue to fall on me. I really don't mind as it's another reason for us to get together. My sister is 78 YO and she's cooking for 19 people. She still would prefer every holiday at her house if she had that choice. She should be letting her next generation take over but won't. I guess that's normal, my mom didn't give it up easily either.

I understand your point Andy but here's another. At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons. I don't mean to sound "preachy" but it's certainly something to think about.

Whatever they're serving at the airport :(

Have to say goodbye to our beautiful Cozumel on Sunday.

I understand your point Andy but here's another. At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons. I don't mean to sound "preachy" but it's certainly something to think about.

I understand your point. But that's something you and I have no control over.

Family customs change over time. My daughters are close. That will continue after I die. If they choose to celebrate holidays in a slightly different way, I can't complain. What's important is that they continue to keep the family togetherness alive.

My Mom always did a big, celebratory dinner for any occasion, and I've continued on in that vein. We still kept up when we moved to MA even though it was just the two of us. When my SIL and her hubby moved here they joined us even though my MIL never did anything special for Easter. I've pretty much gotten tired of being the one always inviting/shopping/cooking/cleaning up since then so it will be just the two of us this year. Going to mix things up a bit. Himself will be grilling a small-but-thick steak and a couple of boneless chicken breasts. Salad, veggie, and baked potato to go along side. No dessert...our waistlines don't need it per our doctor. :(

...At this stage in our lives we need to know that family dinners will continue after we're gone. I'd roll in my grave if our family dinners died with me, and I've made that clear with my sons...
I'm so happy our two kids cook and eat together since we moved. For Christmas the last couple years her guyfriend's family has had our two over for the "family" dinner and traditions. I cannot wait until we're all back together in OH so the kids can come over along with their friends, and their friends friends, and anyone else who wants to join us. I miss big dinners.

We used to have big family get togethers for Easter dinner, but things have changed over the years. There's not many of us left, and I'm pretty much at the top of the ladder. :)

I'm so excited about this Easter weekend. Daughters, grandchildren and I are meeting bright and early in the morning for our yearly visit to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It's only an hour away. Easter dinner may be at In N Out, or wherever, but as many of you have said, it's all about family. :wub:

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Last edited:
After having a horrible winter here in The Finger Lakes of New York.
We are change it all up and barbequing.
Ribs, potato salad, coleslaw, pies for dessert, thinking cherry and apple.

We're not religious, but Easter weekend is still the big spring get together for our family. We're having 13 people for dinner today, which will be around 2:00. I'm doing rotisserie lamb on the grill and a ham in the oven.

I have a rosemary cream gravy I'll serve with the lamb, and blackberry balsamic sauce for the ham. Everyone else is bringing the sides, so I don't know what those will be..

This is my favorite eating holiday. :yum:

Last edited:
We're going to a baseball game. Hot Dogs and a beer for us. We were invited to a friend's house, but already had the tickets.

We used to have big family get togethers for Easter dinner, but things have changed over the years. There's not many of us left, and I'm pretty much at the top of the ladder. :)

I'm so excited about this Easter weekend. Daughters, grandchildren and I are meeting bright and early in the morning for our yearly visit to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It's only an hour away. Easter dinner may be at In N Out, or wherever, but as many of you have said, it's all about family. :wub:

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Cheryl, I'm green with envy over your day in the California poppy fields!
For breathtaking beauty it rivals any other sight in this whole country!!
It's just one more reason to love our beautiful state. Have a glorious day making breathtaking memories with your family!

Breakfast will be colored hard boiled eggs and homemade Italian Meat Pie (Pizzagaina)

Stuffed mushrooms
Smoked ham shank
Mashed potatoes
Baked sweet potato
Fresh asparagus topped with melted butter and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheeses
Homemade garlic bread
Homemade cheesecake with cherry topping

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom