Easter menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easter Menu

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere and usually it's posted a week or so in advance.

Even though I've cancelled the family dinner due to my husband's illness, I am still cooking on a small scale. We still have to eat. I roasted a turkey breast today which we will have for dinner, with leftovers tomorrow. I'm also baking a half ham tomorrow since DH wants ham and I want him to eat to keep his strength up. I wasn't going to make my Easter Cheese or Beet Horseradish since the family wasn't coming, but I did it at the last minute. I'm so glad I made it because I tried it and it tastes so good. It's just not Easter without it. There's no reason I can't make it throughout the year, but it's usually just on Easter.

No colored eggs or candy. We don't need that. I will just cook some vegetables to go with our meat and we will have a quiet dinner together. The dog sure was happy that I cooked that turkey!

My daughter is making dinner. Her chemo medicine never arrived for this month's session. She was supposed to be on it this week. There was a major screw up at the hospital. Needless to say, she is very upset and cooking is her way of handling the problem.

So she decided to cook after all. She is having raviolis and a half baked ham. There will only be the four of us. I had planned on just staying home and having a quiet day all by myself. :angel:

Last year we did the big meal with almost the whole family at our place, a full spread with a leg of lamb as the star. This year we have a lot going on and my parents will be down in a couple weeks, so it's just me, DH and the Sproutlets.

We're having broiled fish and honeycomb. My dad bought us some honeycomb a while back that we haven't broken out yet, so my mind ran with it. I just picked up a few cod fillets, will broil them with lemon, lime, paprika, cumin, s&p and I'm making bread and a veg of some sort to round things out.

Next year I'll have to make a ham, as DH grew up with an Easter ham.every year.

I don't know how I missed this thread either. Must "old-timers" setting in. LOL

After my mother-in-law passed away I took up making the dishes everyone expected from her Slovak ancestry, such as the Easter Cheese and Beet Horseradish. They all like it, and I will make it as long as I'm able, but somebody else better learn how to do it. My step-daughter is probably the only candidate. She wants it but doesn't want to take the time to learn how to make it. In my laziness, I have really short-cut the recipe so it's now so easy to make. To us, it tastes the same as the original so that's what really matters. Someone here, I forget who, makes the Beet Horseradish from fresh beets and horseradish root and that's the way my MIL made it. I use canned sliced beets and BL Extra Hot Horseradish in a jar. Same results as far as we are concerned, but so much easier. I'm sure my step-daughter could handle that if she would just come over when I'm making it and the Easter Cheese, which is just eggs and milk cooked until the whey separates and formed into a ball. My newly acquired SIL who is 20 years my junior will probably take over the family dinners after I'm gone.

Since I don't eat sweets, I never think about dessert, but my DIL always remembers and brings something.

Having dinner at my mother's. Three out of four siblings will be there and keeping with tradition we will be having baked ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies, and some kind of dessert. We dropped a ham off there a couple of days ago so my mother could get it going in the afternoon. Were going to bring more, but seems like everybody has things covered. There will only be 5 of us in total so we don't want to bring too much. Going to do a bit of yardwork for her before dinner. Things have finally dried up so I can get some raking done...

One of the most important things to my family is taking home leftovers. If I didn't have leftovers for them to take home they would be so disappointed. My DIL even brings her own containers to every family dinner! So I make sure I make double of what I think we're going to eat. Sometimes it's a struggle to get to keep some leftovers here for DH and me. They really don't like to cook. LOL

One of the most important things to my family is taking home leftovers. If I didn't have leftovers for them to take home they would be so disappointed. My DIL even brings her own containers to every family dinner! So I make sure I make double of what I think we're going to eat. Sometimes it's a struggle to get to keep some leftovers here for DH and me. They really don't like to cook. LOL

That's why I never enjoyed eating at a restaurant on a holiday and coming home to a "cold" kitchen.

Holidays are all about leftovers and a cluttered kitchen filled with things to pick at.

My problem is that each holiday tends to last for a month or so! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Just us this year but still making a full dinner... ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, honey-glazed carrots and biscuits. No dessert unless I get inspired. :)

We had colored eggs and Italian Easter Meat Pie (Pizzagaina) for breakfast

(I didn't take new pictures but here are some pictures I have with my recipes. They usually always look the same. LOL)

img_1358313_0_8fc874b484a802bc56b80c0ee7af7948.jpg

img_1358313_1_7e24083e385aeee5612c196fa49d783e.jpg

Dinner will be stuffed mushrooms, smoked ham shank, asparagus, mashed potato, baked sweet potato and garlic bread. I will try to get some pictures of dinner tonight.

Dessert will be cheesecake with cherry topping.

img_1358313_2_a02b5b4069f8b097c30f058f40c071c4.jpg

img_1358313_3_e83be842f83bdd8859b2ecd712f83a32.jpg

We're getting together with my GF's family this afternoon.
I smoked a turkey breast this morning and have a green chili hominy casserole ready to go in the oven soon. I believe her cousin is bringing a ham, not sure about the rest though. It will be nice to see everyone again as we only seem to get together during the holidays.

I just finished a big chocolate sundae with Spanish peanuts.
Apparently DQ is closed on Easter... but fortunately the town store isn't.

Cheryl, I'm green with envy over your day in the California poppy fields!
For breathtaking beauty it rivals any other sight in this whole country!!
It's just one more reason to love our beautiful state. Have a glorious day making breathtaking memories with your family!

Thank you, Kayelle! Your post made me smile. :) We did indeed make beautiful memories. As luck would have it, it is one of the best poppy displays I've seen in a few years, and my little 3 yr. old grandson Tyler walked the whole 3 miles with us - what a trooper. :wub: I'll put a couple of pics in the random photo thread.

I've never had pickled eggs. Are they easy to prepare, and how do you use them? Can you eat them as is?

Breakfast will be colored hard boiled eggs and homemade Italian Meat Pie (Pizzagaina)

Stuffed mushrooms
Smoked ham shank
Mashed potatoes
Baked sweet potato
Fresh asparagus topped with melted butter and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheeses
Homemade garlic bread
Homemade cheesecake with cherry topping

Is there a recipe here for Pizzagaina? Please?

Thank you!

No big dinner this year. There's not many of us and we chose to go on a road trip yesterday, so there was no time to cook a big dinner. I miss the ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagus so lived vicariously through many of your dinners here. :yum: Maybe next weekend we'll have a belated ham dinner. :)

I'm going to take a couple garlic/parm thighs from last night's dinner and shred them, skin and all. This will be mixed with cooked bacon and warmed in the grease with cooked pasta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom