"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Master Chef

Easter Menu ideas...

We are doing a brunch for the family this year at my oldest son's house. There will be eight of us and my son is doing Crab Cakes Benedict. His wife will be doing "something sweet", and that's all I know. He wants me to bring the rest, and I'm stumped for something more creative than just a fruit salad. Ideas and recipes are most welcome. I told him I would ask you here. Two of the family members don't eat meat. TIA

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One of these days I will try this: Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps Recipe | Epicurious.com

Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We are doing a brunch for the family this year at my oldest son's house. There will be eight of us and my son is doing Crab Cakes Benedict. His wife will be doing "something sweet", and that's all I know. He wants me to bring the rest, and I'm stumped for something more creative than just a fruit salad. Ideas and recipes are most welcome. I told him I would ask you here. Two of the family members don't eat meat. TIA
Hmm, not much to go on there. Perhaps a phone call to D-i-L to get a bit more info? Men are notoriously bad at details.

Spanish omelette perhaps? It's very good (and authentically Spanish) eaten cold so could be cooked the night before and with the potatoes and onions it would be fairly substantial.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

What about a potatoes gratin? That's a brunchy kind of dish, easy to make ahead, travels and reheats well. Most people like it, and I think it would go well with crab cakes.

This one says it serves 4, but you could easily adapt it. I'm thinking of Easter brunch meals myself.

Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Young carrots ( the green topped kind) roast or steam and then glaze with a touch of brown sugar or honey and any herb-- tarragon, lemon, thyme, ginger are my faves. Add some quick steamed peapods before glazing. Travels well. Good at room temp.

Asparagus. yum yum.

Spinach strawberry avocado salad with poppy seed dressing. Assemble just before serving.

For some reason I keep thinking Greek salad. Maybe because I put lemon in the dressing.

Hashbrown or brunch potato casserole.

Or this one-- Baby reds, partially peeled, cut to uniform bite size. Roast in olive oil/ herb I use rosemary and fresh sage and Dijon. Bake until really back yard Sun tanned all over. Just when your kitchen is totally permeated in mustard, you go --WHAT did I do-- the smell dissipates and leaves a great flavor you can't quite identify. Serve warm/ re-heated or if made a day ahead and refrigerated, need to at least oven heat and bring to room temp.

And yes, fruit salad.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

The fruit salad sounds great!

I vote for asparagus or broccoli to mop up the extra Hollandaise sauce!

Prep it at home, toss it into a zip lock bag, steam it or roast it at your son's house.

Some hot cross buns from the bakery.

Maybe a bottle or two of champagne!

I wouldn't be concerned with being creative, let the kid take center stage with his Crab Cakes Benedict!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
Master Chef

Two suggestions, both "salads", one with a fruity twist.

1) Caprese salad. You could use whole cherry or grape tomatoes and mix them with basil leaves and ciliegine mozzarella. Pile them into a clear bowl, maybe a truffle bowl if you have one. You could even chop romaine lettuce and alternate layers of lettuce with the tomato/mozz mix. Just a thought.

2) Found this salad on the web: Orange and Avocado Salad. You may or may not want to tweak the dressing if you decide to go with this salad. I think the butter lettuces they used look nice, though. Maybe substitute fresh, halved strawberries for the onion slices? Looks like this one has options.

Good luck. You might need to contact the kids though to find out if they are happy with your ideas.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Master Chef

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time. Asparagus something sounds like a great idea in addition to a fruit dish of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I wouldn't be concerned with being creative, let the kid take center stage with his Crab Cakes Benedict!
That's certainly good advice Bea. When it comes to cooking, he is my home grown shining star.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

This is good made ahead and chilled. TNT

Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad (click)

Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks!

That will make a great day 2 recipe for leftover green vegetables in my kitchen.

I'm gonna try it with asparagus.

I can mix it up while I'm cleaning up the kitchen after dinner and enjoy it the following day!
Glad you like it. You're welcome Bea. Never tried it with asparagus. Let me know how it is. I like to make omelets with left over asparagus (add fresh grated parm and romano to the eggs).

Tags
menu, menu ideas