Easter Menu ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
We are doing a brunch for the family this year at my oldest son's house. There will be eight of us and my son is doing Crab Cakes Benedict. His wife will be doing "something sweet", and that's all I know. He wants me to bring the rest, and I'm stumped for something more creative than just a fruit salad. Ideas and recipes are most welcome. I told him I would ask you here. Two of the family members don't eat meat. TIA

We are doing a brunch for the family this year at my oldest son's house. There will be eight of us and my son is doing Crab Cakes Benedict. His wife will be doing "something sweet", and that's all I know. He wants me to bring the rest, and I'm stumped for something more creative than just a fruit salad. Ideas and recipes are most welcome. I told him I would ask you here. Two of the family members don't eat meat. TIA
Hmm, not much to go on there. Perhaps a phone call to D-i-L to get a bit more info? Men are notoriously bad at details.

Spanish omelette perhaps? It's very good (and authentically Spanish) eaten cold so could be cooked the night before and with the potatoes and onions it would be fairly substantial.

Last edited:
Young carrots ( the green topped kind) roast or steam and then glaze with a touch of brown sugar or honey and any herb-- tarragon, lemon, thyme, ginger are my faves. Add some quick steamed peapods before glazing. Travels well. Good at room temp.

Asparagus. yum yum.

Spinach strawberry avocado salad with poppy seed dressing. Assemble just before serving.

For some reason I keep thinking Greek salad. Maybe because I put lemon in the dressing.

Hashbrown or brunch potato casserole.

Or this one-- Baby reds, partially peeled, cut to uniform bite size. Roast in olive oil/ herb I use rosemary and fresh sage and Dijon. Bake until really back yard Sun tanned all over. Just when your kitchen is totally permeated in mustard, you go --WHAT did I do-- the smell dissipates and leaves a great flavor you can't quite identify. Serve warm/ re-heated or if made a day ahead and refrigerated, need to at least oven heat and bring to room temp.

And yes, fruit salad.

The fruit salad sounds great!

I vote for asparagus or broccoli to mop up the extra Hollandaise sauce!

Prep it at home, toss it into a zip lock bag, steam it or roast it at your son's house.

Some hot cross buns from the bakery.

Maybe a bottle or two of champagne!

I wouldn't be concerned with being creative, let the kid take center stage with his Crab Cakes Benedict!

Last edited:
Two suggestions, both "salads", one with a fruity twist.

1) Caprese salad. You could use whole cherry or grape tomatoes and mix them with basil leaves and ciliegine mozzarella. Pile them into a clear bowl, maybe a truffle bowl if you have one. You could even chop romaine lettuce and alternate layers of lettuce with the tomato/mozz mix. Just a thought.

2) Found this salad on the web: Orange and Avocado Salad. You may or may not want to tweak the dressing if you decide to go with this salad. I think the butter lettuces they used look nice, though. Maybe substitute fresh, halved strawberries for the onion slices? Looks like this one has options.

Good luck. You might need to contact the kids though to find out if they are happy with your ideas. ;)

Last edited:
Many thanks to all of you for taking the time. Asparagus something sounds like a great idea in addition to a fruit dish of some kind.

I wouldn't be concerned with being creative, let the kid take center stage with his Crab Cakes Benedict!

That's certainly good advice Bea. When it comes to cooking, he is my home grown shining star.:D

This is good made ahead and chilled. TNT

Ms. Mofet's String Bean Salad (click)

img_1415592_0_d1e8af67d96dcb73ff5a971e7a4dab53.jpg

Thanks!

That will make a great day 2 recipe for leftover green vegetables in my kitchen.

I'm gonna try it with asparagus.

I can mix it up while I'm cleaning up the kitchen after dinner and enjoy it the following day!
Glad you like it. You're welcome Bea. Never tried it with asparagus. Let me know how it is. I like to make omelets with left over asparagus (add fresh grated parm and romano to the eggs).

Back
Top Bottom