Easter/Passover Menu/Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You give them a choice of bacon or sausage. Not both.
How do you stop people from taking both?

My point is that you're suggesting she buy and pay for the equivalent of five pieces per person, which I think is excessive and will result in a large quantity of waste. When you cook for this number of people, you never know what's happened to the food in the serving line, so it would need to be thrown out.

My point is that you're suggesting she buy and pay for the equivalent of five pieces per person, which I think is excessive and will result in a large quantity of waste. When you cook for this number of people, you never know what's happened to the food in the serving line, so it would need to be thrown out.

For large cookouts, we encourage taking leftover/overstocked food to one of the local shelters.. It truly works well.. That is NOT to suggest that any person or organization should not learn facts about serving sizes, etc.. Just a way to not waste food left after an event... :)

For large cookouts, we encourage taking leftover/overstocked food to one of the local shelters.. It truly works well.. That is NOT to suggest that any person or organization should not learn facts about serving sizes, etc.. Just a way to not waste food left after an event... [emoji2]

If food is left out for more than two hours, it could be contaminated and be a vector for food-borne illness. Especially at an informal family event, there can be people touching the food, sneezing in the vicinity of the food, etc. It shouldn't be given to anyone.

Last edited:

Anytime I have been involved in this type of meal, there has always been someone behind the table passing out the food. One person to two foods. Just seeing someone holding a pair of tongs in their hand, tells a person it is not take what you want, but let the server ask you. Bacon or sausage? One or two eggs? Two pieces of toast or just one? Two, three or four pancakes? The only thing that was always self serve was at the coffee urn or tea pot. With plenty of milk, cream and sugar. The one area that could not be controlled was the artificial sweeteners. You would always see someone grab a handful and put them in their pockets. And those are expensive when you are on a tight budget.

At the church where I worked, it was always the old folks who would come back for seconds. Lots of napkins stuffed with food went home with them. And I understood. No one ever said a word to them. If there should be any leftovers, we always offered it to them first.

At the church up the street from me, they conduct a food bank every Saturday. The bank opens at ten a.m. But the workers are there at eight in the morning. They start to pack the bags and mark each one with a big number. You have to register before you receive a bag. The information includes the number of people in the family. So they get your name, pull your card out from their little file box and know right away how many people they are serving. They also have fridge foods. So as they get their bags, someone is getting out the milk, meat, etc. It is called "portion control." Even for a breakfast or luncheon function.

If food is left out for more than two hours, it could be contaminated and be a vector for food-borne illness. Especially at an informal family event, there can be people touching the food, sneezing in the vicinity of the food, etc. It shouldn't be given to anyone.

Okie Doke... :)

Anytime I have been involved in this type of meal, there has always been someone behind the table passing out the food. One person to two foods. Just seeing someone holding a pair of tongs in their hand, tells a person it is not take what you want, but let the server ask you. Bacon or sausage? One or two eggs? Two pieces of toast or just one? Two, three or four pancakes? The only thing that was always self serve was at the coffee urn or tea pot. With plenty of milk, cream and sugar. The one area that could not be controlled was the artificial sweeteners. You would always see someone grab a handful and put them in their pockets. And those are expensive when you are on a tight budget.

You're assuming this is a catered event with servers. I was assuming it was a family event with a self-serve buffet.

All I know is if I were there, when it comes to bacon, there would be no leftovers. I would be the last person in line telling the servers to just get rid of it on my plate. To me, there are certain foods that are their own food group: potatoes, cheese, and bacon. :LOL:

For Easter, I have a friend who would like me to come up and eat with her family, but I really don't like going out to eat with a large group of people I don't know. So I'm just going to stay home and find something here to eat. Not sure what though. I don't plan meals that far ahead.

Last edited:
Does that mean you don't believe me, or you don't care?

Children, the elderly and people with chronic diseases (cancer, diabetes, etc.) have weaker immune systems and are less able to fight off infections. You might want to reconsider.

It is absolutely your right to state the beliefs and facts you present... I certainly would not say that I don't believe you.. That would be petty and argumentative and this forum is no place to be such... :)

BTW, I am not sure what the proper greeting would be, so I will go with what someone would say to me for Easter.

Happy Passover to all our Jewish members and friends.

Back
Top Bottom