Elegant Appetizers for 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I know we have discussed (no pan intended) appetizers many times here. But I have a special task.

I need to come up with Vegan or at least Vegetarian, but for sure no meat or dairy products, eggs are ok, appetizers for an Elegant party of 150 maybe a bit more:ohmy:.

They have to be easy to make, because there are all the other foods that have to be prepared. They do not have to be warm, but if they are, then they have to be made ahead of time and would be reheated right before the party. So keep in mind, that taste changes with re-heating.

Last edited:
Here are some suggestions:
Bruschetta with tomato, basil, garlic, etc.
Stuffed Grape Leaves with rice and herbs or finely chopped vegetables
Roasted Spiced Olives
Olive Tapenade with flatbread, baguette, pita wedges, pita chips, etc.
Hummus

Last edited:
Tea Sandwiches: You can make cucumber, dill, cream cheese or tomato mozarella or for vegan a roasted veggie with a pesto sauce. You can be creative with bread

I like to make a little potato balls. They can be made ahead of time and then fried and frozen. They reheat in the oven and are fabulous. To make you boil potatoes and mash them. Then do a tempering in oil, with some chopped green chilies, brown mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric, pour this tempering into the potatoes, add cilantro, salt, lemon juice (per taste). Make little balls, dip them in chickpea flour (seasoned with salt and chili powder) and fry them up. You can serve them with a tamarind or mint and cilantro chutney on a skewer. I have made them for 50 people

Puff Pastry Traingles or cups: I make mine filled with stir fried veggies (carrots, bell peppers, french style green beans, mushrooms, green onions and soy and sweet and sour type of sauce), fill ahead of time and freeze and bake last minute prior to serving

Rice Paper Rolls: Again fill with fresh veggies and mint and cilantro springs along with some glass noodles and you can make it the night ahead of time and then just put slightly moistened paper or cloth towels and they stay fine. I have made them and they are great with any sauce of your choice. Extremely pretty and elegant

Egg Rolls: Make ahead of time and freeze and reheat and fry and serve. You can even stuff them with black beans and corns to give it a mexican twist

Samosas - Filled with potatoes and peas (millions of recipes available online), you can use wonton wrappers to make them, freeze and fry several hours ahead of time before serving.

These are a few ideas. I am big on finger foods so these are a few of my ideas. There are many more but a lot of them I make last minute and are not practical for 150 people.

Goodluck.

A few I have done both catering and my own entertaining:

Pasta "chips" made from lasagna noodles, and white bean dip
tortilla roll-ups with bean, artichoke or spinach fillings
Phyllo cups filled with an Asian slaw
Tortilla triangles deep fried and dusted with sugar and cinnamon.

If you want any of these recipes, let me know and I will post them.

Guacamole or hummus or Caponata. If it's elegant, Doritos might not do, but Pita crisps brushed with olive oil and a little garlic might work for any of these.

Phyllo triangles. If the classic spinach/ feta has too much cheese. Make Fruit filled triangles with home-made apple pie filling, raisins walnuts. or Pears and Cranberries. I just read something about this as a pie or tart here somewhere. That sounds good.

You could cut the sugar down in the lefse, add some herbs, and have a savory lefse, fill with wildrice-mushroom-cheese.
I should've written, add some herbs to the dough and then keep the lefse warm and fill with a savory mix of wild rice, mushrooms, cheese (gooey enough to stick together). Or, try filling and reheating before serving. I think savory lefse filled with wildrice would be a hit in MN. I'm tempted to try it...

Last edited:
Thank you folks, a lots of good ideas here. Have to figure out what will work.
On the other hand, I tried to search internet for vegetarian/vegan appetizers. Million sites came up. You start searching them half of them are not even close to be vegetarian. I mean reall how stupid is it. Grrrr

I should've written, add some herbs to the dough and then keep the lefse warm and fill with a savory mix of wild rice, mushrooms, cheese (gooey enough to stick together). Or, try filling and reheating before serving. I think savory lefse filled with wildrice would be a hit in MN. I'm tempted to try it...

sorry, no cheese either.

I would do a huge platter of marinated vegetables. baby bell peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, snow peas or sugar snap peas, baby beets, strips of daikon radishes and tiny carrots...

Well, I think we have decided to make an appetizer hour. We will use mini pie shells and make kishes, not sure what they called in English. Fill them with different things. Sautéed mushrooms, spinach, corn chowder, and mashed potato. Plus light drinks. Then at the table will serve a simple green salad, and then will move on onto a main course.
Thank you everybody.

Back
Top Bottom