"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Depending on the guest, sometimes they get tackled and frisked as soon as they are in the door, never mind the coat! In our house, the cats steal everyone's shoes as soon as they are taken off, so jackets don't usually get stolen :crazy:

You have lovely dishes, which with the rest being more neutral, makes for a pleasing and inviting table to look at. I'm sure your parents are looking toward to seeing your home, and spending much time with you. I will see if I can find some pictures of table set ups to share with you.

Toff
Oh thank you so very much!

That is very funny! You must be very proud of your cats for making visits to your home memorable for your guests! Ha!

With love,
~Cat

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Cat, what color are your tablecloth, napkins and placemats? Are you going to use both the blue and the red dishes at the same time? (I think they are lovely and you should mix-n-match them. Your table will be beautiful with just your pretty dishes and a simple vase of flowers or even branches. Try to relax, you are probably right that your parents will be tired and may just want a light meal and then to get some sleep. As long as you provide something to eat and a place to rest you will be a perfect hostess. Since you likely know what your mother and father each like to eat for breakfast, if you have that available for the next morning you will again have done your duty as hostess. Really, since this is family you are entertaining there isn't a need for a lot of formality. Your parents expect you to be your sweet self, all they really want is your love and respect and to know that you are happy. Cheers my dear!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Cat, what color are your tablecloth, napkins and placemats? Are you going to use both the blue and the red dishes at the same time? (I think they are lovely and you should mix-n-match them. Your table will be beautiful with just your pretty dishes and a simple vase of flowers or even branches. Try to relax, you are probably right that your parents will be tired and may just want a light meal and then to get some sleep. As long as you provide something to eat and a place to rest you will be a perfect hostess. Since you likely know what your mother and father each like to eat for breakfast, if you have that available for the next morning you will again have done your duty as hostess. Really, since this is family you are entertaining there isn't a need for a lot of formality. Your parents expect you to be your sweet self, all they really want is your love and respect and to know that you are happy. Cheers my dear!
Thank you so very much! I have 2 tablecloths. One is a beige lace tablecloth, and the other is a plain white linen tablecloth.

I do plan to use the dishes in an alternating pattern, one blue, one red, and so forth. The placemats are some red and some blue, alternating.

Thank you for helping me! Yes, I thought of a very nice breakfast when they are rested, and perhaps a simple plate of boursin cheese, cocktail rye bread, and tea may be for them upon their arrival.

Thank you! My parents are so kind and they are happy with anything. Mamma and Papa know I do love them and I respect them.

You are so very kind to me. Thank you again. I will keep your advice.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

A light meal like that sounds perfect. Some juicy grapes always go well with cheese and bread/crackers. And if you want to do something special, you could make your own crackers. I made the Rosemary, Cheddar and Walnut Icebox Crackers on this page once and they're easy and delicious: Crazy for Crackers | The Daring Kitchen
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

Katie, may I please copy your photos of your tables? Can anyone else show me ideas for decorating the table also, please? I'm running out of time to put this all together.

With love,
~Cat

Yes, Cat. You may copy the photos of the tables. Just use them as a guide and set your table to reflect "you."
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Sous Chef

If it were me arriving to you from where I live here in Europe I would much prefer something light and tasty on arrival at that sort of time Cat..Grilled cheese on toast perhaps or a good soup with lots of crusty bread. I genuinely don't think that I could do a big meal the justice it should deserve. A cup of tea and lots of hugs with my daughter would be a total joy in itself so in my humble opinion, I would be thrilled if you said that 'in a day or two' you were going to cook something special for us. One tip in general, I always ask if I am cooking for someone the first time if there is something that they can't or would prefer not to eat. I jot that down in my mini notepad so i always know in the future if I need to avoid something.
Have fun Cat

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, do a search for "fall table settings" on Google Images. Then you can add other words to the search to narrow the results, by color or style, and get lots of ideas that way. Here's one I found that is nice and simple so it would go nicely with your brightly colored plates:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Proud American

Oh my! I have received such good advice! I'm very grateful for this.

I know Mamma and Papa love cheese and crackers, especially Boursin. I'll look at the website; I think it would be a nice touch of welcome to make my own crackers for them.

That table and Katie's tables are so very pretty. Perhaps also a Horn of Plenty as the centerpiece for the Thanksgiving table? I like the pumpkins. Oh, I do love this website! You all have given me so very much support, help, and ideas. I promise I'll make you all proud of me also!

I know Mamma and Papa will be very tired from their journey on the plane. I was. DA gave me a nice bowl of her cinnamon-apple oatmeal and tea, and I went to bed! I arrived here on the very last flight at 11:00pm. It was 6:00am Romanian time.

I learned from this to serve something light. The oatmeal is very heavy and I just could'nt finish it. All I wanted was a few mouthfuls and the tea, and I went straight to my bed. I did'nt unpack; I slept in my underwear.

It does take about two days to adjust to the local time. Mamma and Papa are older, so they may need a longer time to adjust. I know what their favorite breakfast is and I'll make this for them! They love a lot of fruit, bacon, toast, and grapefruit juice. That shall be their breakfast when they finally crawl out of their beds. I remember dragging myself from bed the first day. I felt as if someone had fastened a boat anchor to my butt.

I thought of a fresh fruit bowl of cut oranges, green and red grapes, pitted cherries, cut pears, sliced banana and cut up apples. We all love whipped cream, so I can put this on the top of the fruit. Then some very nice bacon, whole wheat toast with honey and butter, and the grapefruit juice and coffee. I do not like coffee. I went today to the Walmart and bought a nice coffeemaker for them. Also, Lakisha and Tyler and DA like coffee. DA drinks the instant coffee, and this makes my taste buds on my tongue to protest! Uckkkk!

How am I doing so far? What are better ideas? Thank you all so very much for your help! Please tell me if there is something amiss of this, or something I can do better.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
Sous Chef

That sounds wonderful Cat. I think making the crackers is a great idea, maybe buy a jar of mixed pickles to go on the side?
Also, what a fabulous breakfast you have planned. I think I would prefer the cream in a separate dish so that I could help myself or even a good creamy yoghurt to go with that fresh fruit salad as it's breakfast.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, keep something in mind. If you were going home to visit your parents, what would they be doing for you? Just turn it around and do for them, what they would do for you. I know you want to impress them. And that is admirable. Just don't lay so much on yourself that you can't enjoy your visit with them. Relax and enjoy your visit with them.