Entertaining Guests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your plans sound great :) One thing I would say about table decorations is tha, while a tall vase looks nice from a distance, when you're sitting at the table, it's better to have a short vase, so everyone can see each other easily. A cornucopia would be pretty.

Your plans sound great :) One thing I would say about table decorations is tha, while a tall vase looks nice from a distance, when you're sitting at the table, it's better to have a short vase, so everyone can see each other easily. A cornucopia would be pretty.

Yes, I think you're right. I wouldn't like to try to talk around a tree in the middle of the table. Something flatter but pretty will do well.

Dressing up like Pilgrims and inviting Indians to dinner is a little bit too much, yes?:LOL:

With love,
~Cat

Yes, I think you're right. I wouldn't like to try to talk around a tree in the middle of the table. Something flatter but pretty will do well.

Dressing up like Pilgrims and inviting Indians to dinner is a little bit too much, yes?:LOL:

With love,
~Cat

Yeah, and it is a bit far for me to travel for dinner. :angel:

Yeah, and it is a bit far for me to travel for dinner. :angel:

Ha! Also, while Mamma and Papa are having their grapes, cheese, and crackers, I'll unpack their suitcases and put everything away. They will be with DA, so I can do this. Then I'll make Mamma a hot bath. Papa will wish to go to bed very quickly after eating. He does this when he comes home from other countries from his business travels.

I'm thinking of lunch now for their first day. Perhaps some nice Reuben sandwiches and French onion soup? These are our favorites.

I bought a Keurig coffee and tea machine that uses the little cups for individual servings. DA loves this so very much! So we'll have coffee and tea, or milk or Pepsi. Papa likes Pepsi.

How is this so far? Am I missing anything?

With love,
~Cat

Cat, keep something in mind. If you were going home to visit your parents, what would they be doing for you? Just turn it around and do for them, what they would do for you. I know you want to impress them. And that is admirable. Just don't lay so much on yourself that you can't enjoy your visit with them. Relax and enjoy your visit with them. :angel:

Addie's right, Cat. You don't have to be so perfect. They're not expecting anything from you, just a great visit. You know what they like and don't like, so the food's not a problem.

I've never seen so many different colors on a table before. Has anyone else? She says it's an eastern European thing. I really like it because it's different. Mom's got a set of Lenox china for special occasions, and it's plain with a gold band on them. She doesn't do a bunch of different colors, but don't get me wrong, I like hers too. I'm just no good at this decorating thing.

I'll be spending Thanksgiving with Mom and her idiot boyfriend. Mom has a turkey fryer thing. She deep fries the turkey in it and it is awesome! She makes a great sweet potato pie, too. I'll call her and get her recipe.

Relax, Cat! Remember -- these are the people you can belch and fart and scratch in front of. They changed your diapers. I can't wait to meet them.

Carl

Cat, you are going to be so busy trying to make their visit so perfect, that you are not going to have time to spend with them. Relax. Leave something for your mother to do. Mothers need to be needed and wanted. It is in their blood. This is not the Queen coming to visit, it is your mother. It is not even the Queen of the Gypsies! It is your parents. Is this how you acted when you were living with them in Romania? Be yourself. Calm down! :angel:

Cat, you are going to be so busy trying to make their visit so perfect, that you are not going to have time to spend with them. Relax. Leave something for your mother to do. Mothers need to be needed and wanted. It is in their blood. This is not the Queen coming to visit, it is your mother. It is not even the Queen of the Gypsies! It is your parents. Is this how you acted when you were living with them in Romania? Be yourself. Calm down! :angel:

Yes, I tried to do well and make Mamma and Papa proud. I feel it is to show them I love them.

I think you are correct. So. No fussing. I think Mamma and Papa will know I love them no matter of the nice food.

We shall speak of food later. I may need more help there, for Christmas is coming also.

With love,
~Cat

Yes, I tried to do well and make Mamma and Papa proud. I feel it is to show them I love them.

I think you are correct. So. No fussing. I think Mamma and Papa will know I love them no matter of the nice food.

We shall speak of food later. I may need more help there, for Christmas is coming also.

With love,
~Cat

They know you love them, just like you know they love you. If you don't calm down I am going to call the Queen of the Gypsies and have her come and take you away. So hang onto your tambourine! I have the big hoop gold ear rings for you ears. :angel:

They know you love them, just like you know they love you. If you don't calm down I am going to call the Queen of the Gypsies and have her come and take you away. So hang onto your tambourine! I have the big hoop gold ear rings for you ears. :angel:

Oh please do! I'll need to ask them how much they would pay for me just for in case I blow up the kitchen. I do have a GAS stove, and this is not the same gas which emits from Azia.

That only melts paint and nostril hairs.

With love,
~Cat

I've decided on Thanksgiving dinner:

Appetizers:
Celery and carrots with ranch dip
Smoked oysters on crackers

Dinner:
Turkey - crockpot(breast) or roasted (whole)?
Real mashed potatoes
Gravy
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower with melted cheese
Lakisha's seasoned green beans

Dessert:
Cherry pie (Papa's favorite)
Pumpkin bread

I can make the pie ahead and freeze it. I already have the pumpkin bread frozen. I've picked very simple recipes for this so I'm not having a hissy over such complicated other recipes.

Now, the turkey; should I buy a nice plump breast and use the crockpot for my first time? I'd love to do the whole turkey. Perhaps later, when Mamma can help me, yes? Is it best to use the crockpot this time?

Also, if I use the crockpot, there will be none of this running back and forth to baste the turkey. I'll be able to let the crockpot perform the work.

I thought it best to keep this simple.

With love,
~Cat

You know you're going to get a lot of opinions on this ;) I would not recommend using the crock pot for a turkey breast. Crock-pot cooking is long, low-temperature cooking for tenderizing tough cuts of meat. A turkey breast is already tender. You could roast it and get a better result.

There is no need to baste a whole turkey. That's an outdated technique that only results in rubbery skin. When the fat under the skin renders as the turkey roasts, that bastes the meat and as the fat melts into the pan, the skin becomes crispy. Then you have nice drippings in the pan with which to make your gravy. This method also helps the turkey to cook faster because you are not constantly opening the oven and letting heat out.

I like lots of turkey leftovers, so I will be roasting a whole turkey, just for the two of us :)

Turkey is a very easy thing to cook just follow the directions on the wrapper, remember to remove the bag of giblets and the neck.

You can bake the biscuits while the turkey is resting.

I agree with Aunt Bea and GG. Much as I love the CP, I wouldn't use it to roast a turkey breast. Oven roasted is the way to go. And if I could roast a turkey at your age, Cat, anyone can! As has been said, just read and follow the package directions and when in doubt, there's always DC and the Butterball Hotline! Roasting a breast or two would actually be even easier than roasting a whole turkey.

Your menu sounds perfect, by the way!

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I fix very nice roasted whole chickens in my roaster. I can put a turkey in it also. I've done some research and so I know of Butterball.

Perhaps, then, a nice smaller Butterball turkey and the hotline for Butterball on the top of my cellphone list, along with my little Acer computer in the kitchen so I can flee here for help?

With love,
~Cat

Oh, I see. I fix very nice roasted whole chickens in my roaster. I can put a turkey in it also. I've done some research and so I know of Butterball.

Perhaps, then, a nice smaller Butterball turkey and the hotline for Butterball on the top of my cellphone list, along with my little Acer computer in the kitchen so I can flee here for help?With love,
~Cat

You silly girl. Of course you can. And don't forget, you Mama will be there with you to help. As I keep telling you, make her feel that you still need her. And you know you do. I know how eager you are to let her know you are doing all right. And you are. But she still needs to feel that her little girl still needs her.

:angel:

You silly girl. Of course you can. And don't forget, you Mama will be there with you to help. As I keep telling you, make her feel that you still need her. And you know you do. I know how eager you are to let her know you are doing all right. And you are. But she still needs to feel that her little girl still needs her.

:angel:

Oh, I see. But I do need her. No matter of how old I am, I will always need my Mamma and Papa.

I'll do this. I'm her little one and I need Mamma and, of course, Papa.

Thank you for telling me. I need them. One day I won't have them and this is very frightening for me.

With love,
~Cat

All right, as Mamma says. I have everything for dinner. Lakisha, her Mamma and her uncle and DA's boyfriend and Gwen will be our guests.

Their room is ready. They are only bringing personal items on the plane trip. Mamma put money into my account for buying them clothes for here. I have all those now for them, according to her list.

I can't relax. I'm too excited!

With love,
~Cat

All right, as Mamma says. I have everything for dinner. Lakisha, her Mamma and her uncle and DA's boyfriend and Gwen will be our guests.

Their room is ready. They are only bringing personal items on the plane trip. Mamma put money into my account for buying them clothes for here. I have all those now for them, according to her list.

I can't relax. I'm too excited!

With love,
~Cat

I can feel your excitement, Cat. You must feel like a child trying to sleep on Christmas Eve awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus.

Try to get some sleep anyway so you can greet your parents fresh and rested.

You're going to have a ball!!!!

I can feel your excitement, Cat. You must feel like a child trying to sleep on Christmas Eve awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus.

Try to get some sleep anyway so you can greet your parents fresh and rested.

You're going to have a ball!!!!

Oh yes, I will! I bought them all the right clothes, and I bought good sheets and fluffy comforters for their bed. I'm worried, for there is nasty icy weather on Monday and Tuesday here. But I'll get to them! I drove in very nasty snowy, icy weather in Brasov in my little old Dacia so this won't be any problem.

I think, no matter that I am an adult now, I'll never stop needing my parents. Now I'm able to do for them what all they have done for me. One part of me feels very much in control, where I have everything planned and ready for them and our guests, and I know I can do this, and I'll do it well.

The other part of me is the child part. I still desire their approval and so it is why I've made sure everything is in order for them. It's sometimes difficult at my age, yes?

But I think all is well with this. I've done my best, and so it shall be.

As long as I don't poison anyone and put myself up for a lawsuit, I think it will all be all right.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom