"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Your plans sound great One thing I would say about table decorations is tha, while a tall vase looks nice from a distance, when you're sitting at the table, it's better to have a short vase, so everyone can see each other easily. A cornucopia would be pretty.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Your plans sound great One thing I would say about table decorations is tha, while a tall vase looks nice from a distance, when you're sitting at the table, it's better to have a short vase, so everyone can see each other easily. A cornucopia would be pretty.
Yes, I think you're right. I wouldn't like to try to talk around a tree in the middle of the table. Something flatter but pretty will do well.

Dressing up like Pilgrims and inviting Indians to dinner is a little bit too much, yes?

With love,
~Cat

Old 11-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Yes, I think you're right. I wouldn't like to try to talk around a tree in the middle of the table. Something flatter but pretty will do well.

Dressing up like Pilgrims and inviting Indians to dinner is a little bit too much, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Yeah, and it is a bit far for me to travel for dinner.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yeah, and it is a bit far for me to travel for dinner.
Ha! Also, while Mamma and Papa are having their grapes, cheese, and crackers, I'll unpack their suitcases and put everything away. They will be with DA, so I can do this. Then I'll make Mamma a hot bath. Papa will wish to go to bed very quickly after eating. He does this when he comes home from other countries from his business travels.

I'm thinking of lunch now for their first day. Perhaps some nice Reuben sandwiches and French onion soup? These are our favorites.

I bought a Keurig coffee and tea machine that uses the little cups for individual servings. DA loves this so very much! So we'll have coffee and tea, or milk or Pepsi. Papa likes Pepsi.

How is this so far? Am I missing anything?

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Sounds wonderful Cat! You are such a good daughter :)
Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #26
Cook

Quote:
Cat, keep something in mind. If you were going home to visit your parents, what would they be doing for you? Just turn it around and do for them, what they would do for you. I know you want to impress them. And that is admirable. Just don't lay so much on yourself that you can't enjoy your visit with them. Relax and enjoy your visit with them.
Addie's right, Cat. You don't have to be so perfect. They're not expecting anything from you, just a great visit. You know what they like and don't like, so the food's not a problem.

I've never seen so many different colors on a table before. Has anyone else? She says it's an eastern European thing. I really like it because it's different. Mom's got a set of Lenox china for special occasions, and it's plain with a gold band on them. She doesn't do a bunch of different colors, but don't get me wrong, I like hers too. I'm just no good at this decorating thing.

I'll be spending Thanksgiving with Mom and her idiot boyfriend. Mom has a turkey fryer thing. She deep fries the turkey in it and it is awesome! She makes a great sweet potato pie, too. I'll call her and get her recipe.

Relax, Cat! Remember -- these are the people you can belch and fart and scratch in front of. They changed your diapers. I can't wait to meet them.

Carl
Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, you are going to be so busy trying to make their visit so perfect, that you are not going to have time to spend with them. Relax. Leave something for your mother to do. Mothers need to be needed and wanted. It is in their blood. This is not the Queen coming to visit, it is your mother. It is not even the Queen of the Gypsies! It is your parents. Is this how you acted when you were living with them in Romania? Be yourself. Calm down!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Proud American

Quote:
Cat, you are going to be so busy trying to make their visit so perfect, that you are not going to have time to spend with them. Relax. Leave something for your mother to do. Mothers need to be needed and wanted. It is in their blood. This is not the Queen coming to visit, it is your mother. It is not even the Queen of the Gypsies! It is your parents. Is this how you acted when you were living with them in Romania? Be yourself. Calm down!
Yes, I tried to do well and make Mamma and Papa proud. I feel it is to show them I love them.

I think you are correct. So. No fussing. I think Mamma and Papa will know I love them no matter of the nice food.

We shall speak of food later. I may need more help there, for Christmas is coming also.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Yes, I tried to do well and make Mamma and Papa proud. I feel it is to show them I love them.

I think you are correct. So. No fussing. I think Mamma and Papa will know I love them no matter of the nice food.

We shall speak of food later. I may need more help there, for Christmas is coming also.

With love,
~Cat
They know you love them, just like you know they love you. If you don't calm down I am going to call the Queen of the Gypsies and have her come and take you away. So hang onto your tambourine! I have the big hoop gold ear rings for you ears.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
Proud American

Quote:
They know you love them, just like you know they love you. If you don't calm down I am going to call the Queen of the Gypsies and have her come and take you away. So hang onto your tambourine! I have the big hoop gold ear rings for you ears.
Oh please do! I'll need to ask them how much they would pay for me just for in case I blow up the kitchen. I do have a GAS stove, and this is not the same gas which emits from Azia.

That only melts paint and nostril hairs.

With love,
~Cat