"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,499
Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras feasts...

We are just a few days away from Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras.

Then comes Lent, which doesn't change my eating habits, at all, but I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

Does anyone have any special plans? Any traditional meals?

I have not made any gumbo this winter, mainly because we haven't really had a winter. I like to make gumbo to eat when it is cold and nasty outside. But, I may need to make some for Fat Tuesday.

I'd love to do a big crawfish boil, but I'm about to get VERY busy with work, so even making a pot of gumbo is going to be iffy. I'm not even sure where I will be next Tuesday.

CD

__________________

__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,878
This the only time when Scottish tradition does mix with Swedish traditions.
So we start dinner with lots and lots of pancakes, sometimes Scottish , sometimes Swedish and then we go for the Swedish traditional treat which is semla.

Semla is a sweet wheat roll filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and dusting of powder sugar. I eat mine heatvägg style, that be in a bowl with milk and my husband loves it with coffee.
__________________

__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:45 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
This the only time when Scottish tradition does mix with Swedish traditions.
So we start dinner with lots and lots of pancakes, sometimes Scottish , sometimes Swedish and then we go for the Swedish traditional treat which is semla.

Semla is a sweet wheat roll filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and dusting of powder sugar. I eat mine heatvägg style, that be in a bowl with milk and my husband loves it with coffee.
Very interesting. I never thought of a pre-lent celebration being a Swedish thing. I have always associated it with predominantly catholic societies. I learn something new every day.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,878
Well the semla is such iconic item, sadly it getting sold all year around but peaks at this time. It used to be lent only. I dont get them until fat Tuesday.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,857
I'm not Catholic, but I celebrate Lent by giving up irritating Frank and Shrek. Rough time with that one, it's very difficult.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Very interesting. I never thought of a pre-lent celebration being a Swedish thing. I have always associated it with predominantly catholic societies. I learn something new every day.

CD
There are Catholics in Sweden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cath...urch_in_Sweden

We don't do Lent.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
We are just a few days away from Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras.

Then comes Lent, which doesn't change my eating habits, at all, but I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

Does anyone have any special plans? Any traditional meals?

I have not made any gumbo this winter, mainly because we haven't really had a winter. I like to make gumbo to eat when it is cold and nasty outside. But, I may need to make some for Fat Tuesday.

I'd love to do a big crawfish boil, but I'm about to get VERY busy with work, so even making a pot of gumbo is going to be iffy. I'm not even sure where I will be next Tuesday.

CD
They would be very expensive and possibly hard to come by right now. I'll wait till May before I get any.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
They would be very expensive and possibly hard to come by right now. I'll wait till May before I get any.
I haven't talked to any of my cajun friends about the outlook for crawfish season this year. It is always pricey for me to get live crawfish here in Dallas, but I'm okay with that as long as they are good and meaty.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,596
My Hawaiian-Portuguese heritage is strong, but I am, oddly enough, not Catholic. DH is, but chooses not to follow the doctrine.
My Great Grandmother would save her rendered fat through the year and on Fat Tuesday make Malasadas, Portuguese Donuts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	26268
Now you can buy them everyday.
On our last trip back home, I ate an entire box, BY MYSELF!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2369.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	26269
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,878
We used to be Catholics but when we became Lutherans some traditions stayed. Same as when we became christian some traditions stayed, like Easter and eating eggs. Hens used to not lay egg until the sun returned and the days got longer and that happened around Easter. Now for something more odd, our word or Easter comes from the Jewish word pesach.
Remember state and church are separated in Sweden. Politics and religion doesnt match and we have religious freedom for all religions as long as you dont harm people.
__________________

__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.