Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras feasts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
We are just a few days away from Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras.

Then comes Lent, which doesn't change my eating habits, at all, but I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

Does anyone have any special plans? Any traditional meals?

I have not made any gumbo this winter, mainly because we haven't really had a winter. I like to make gumbo to eat when it is cold and nasty outside. But, I may need to make some for Fat Tuesday.

I'd love to do a big crawfish boil, but I'm about to get VERY busy with work, so even making a pot of gumbo is going to be iffy. I'm not even sure where I will be next Tuesday.

CD

This the only time when Scottish tradition does mix with Swedish traditions.
So we start dinner with lots and lots of pancakes, sometimes Scottish , sometimes Swedish and then we go for the Swedish traditional treat which is semla.

Semla is a sweet wheat roll filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and dusting of powder sugar. I eat mine heatvägg style, that be in a bowl with milk and my husband loves it with coffee.

This the only time when Scottish tradition does mix with Swedish traditions.
So we start dinner with lots and lots of pancakes, sometimes Scottish , sometimes Swedish and then we go for the Swedish traditional treat which is semla.

Semla is a sweet wheat roll filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and dusting of powder sugar. I eat mine heatvägg style, that be in a bowl with milk and my husband loves it with coffee.

Very interesting. I never thought of a pre-lent celebration being a Swedish thing. I have always associated it with predominantly catholic societies. I learn something new every day.

CD

Well the semla is such iconic item, sadly it getting sold all year around but peaks at this time. It used to be lent only. I dont get them until fat Tuesday.

I'm not Catholic, but I celebrate Lent by giving up irritating Frank and Shrek. Rough time with that one, it's very difficult.

We are just a few days away from Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras.

Then comes Lent, which doesn't change my eating habits, at all, but I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

Does anyone have any special plans? Any traditional meals?

I have not made any gumbo this winter, mainly because we haven't really had a winter. I like to make gumbo to eat when it is cold and nasty outside. But, I may need to make some for Fat Tuesday.

I'd love to do a big crawfish boil, but I'm about to get VERY busy with work, so even making a pot of gumbo is going to be iffy. I'm not even sure where I will be next Tuesday.

CD

They would be very expensive and possibly hard to come by right now. I'll wait till May before I get any.

They would be very expensive and possibly hard to come by right now. I'll wait till May before I get any.

I haven't talked to any of my cajun friends about the outlook for crawfish season this year. It is always pricey for me to get live crawfish here in Dallas, but I'm okay with that as long as they are good and meaty.

CD

My Hawaiian-Portuguese heritage is strong, but I am, oddly enough, not Catholic. DH is, but chooses not to follow the doctrine.
My Great Grandmother would save her rendered fat through the year and on Fat Tuesday make Malasadas, Portuguese Donuts.
IMG_2370.jpg
Now you can buy them everyday.
On our last trip back home, I ate an entire box, BY MYSELF! :ermm::ohmy::rolleyes::pig::ROFLMAO:
IMG_2369.jpg

We used to be Catholics but when we became Lutherans some traditions stayed. Same as when we became christian some traditions stayed, like Easter and eating eggs. Hens used to not lay egg until the sun returned and the days got longer and that happened around Easter. Now for something more odd, our word or Easter comes from the Jewish word pesach.
Remember state and church are separated in Sweden. Politics and religion doesnt match and we have religious freedom for all religions as long as you dont harm people.

We used to be Catholics but when we became Lutherans some traditions stayed. Same as when we became christian some traditions stayed, like Easter and eating eggs. Hens used to not lay egg until the sun returned and the days got longer and that happened around Easter. Now for something more odd, our word or Easter comes from the Jewish word pesach.
Remember state and church are separated in Sweden. Politics and religion doesnt match and we have religious freedom for all religions as long as you dont harm people.

I'm of Italian heritage, but was raised Lutheran. There is a funny story behind that change, if anyone cares to hear it. It involves my grandfather punching a priest. I really miss him.

Wendy's has a Cod Filet sandwich during lent that is actually quite good. I don't eat fast food much, but I do like that fish sandwich.

Otherwise, being a hard core smartass, I like to eat pork on Fridays during lent. My catholic friends are cool with it -- it's all in fun.

CD

Last edited:
I'm of Italian heritage, but was raised Lutheran. There is a funny story behind that change, if anyone cares to hear it. It involves my grandfather punching a priest. I really miss him.

CD

Geez, your grandpa must hit really hard, casey...:cool:

Geez, your grandpa must hit really hard, casey...:cool:

I don't know how hard he hit the priest, but it was the end of my immediate family's Catholicism. Knowing the whole story, I would have done it, too. Hearing my grandfather tell it in his generation's lingo makes me chuckle.

My ex-wife and her family gave me a Live Oak tree to plant when he died. It is a majestic oak tree now -- 14-inch diameter trunk. I call it Grandpa's Tree.

CD

Lol, I was only joking (that you miss the priest - your grandpa hit him so hard - pronouns are a beeyotch).

Nevermind. :angel:

Did the same priest come back and punch the tree?

Lol, I was only joking (that you miss the priest - your grandpa hit him so hard - pronouns are a beeyotch).

Nevermind. :angel:

Did the same priest come back and punch the tree?

LOL, you are right, pronouns can change the meaning of a sentence.

I never met the priest. Grandpa's tree was attacked by a sapsucker about five years ago. It became a man vs bird war. Maybe the priest was reincarnated as a sapsucker. Wouldn't that be something (Catholic priest reincarnation joke).

CD

I haven't talked to any of my cajun friends about the outlook for crawfish season this year. It is always pricey for me to get live crawfish here in Dallas, but I'm okay with that as long as they are good and meaty.

CD

It's always pricy for us too since we live further away than you do and have to pay for same-day air, or make the drive to Slidell, which is pushing 12 hours 1 way. When my dad was alive and I drove to north central Mississippi to see him, I used to stop in Slidell and bring home 70-80 pounds, as well as a bunch of pecan wood from a family member's land for Craig to use in the smoker. Craig would cook them, we'd eat what we wanted, and then would twist the heads off, bag and freeze. I found out you don't have to take the tail shell off, just the head. Saved our fingers from having to do that many at one shot.

We aren't Catholic but SIL is. The only time he remembers he is a Catholic is when he wants seafood (generally shrimp) on Friday and DD doesn't want to mess with it, or when they really couldn't afford it when they first got married. :rolleyes:

It's always pricy for us too since we live further away than you do and have to pay for same-day air, or make the drive to Slidell, which is pushing 12 hours 1 way. When my dad was alive and I drove to north central Mississippi to see him, I used to stop in Slidell and bring home 70-80 pounds, as well as a bunch of pecan wood from a family member's land for Craig to use in the smoker. Craig would cook them, we'd eat what we wanted, and then would twist the heads off, bag and freeze. I found out you don't have to take the tail shell off, just the head. Saved our fingers from having to do that many at one shot.

We aren't Catholic but SIL is. The only time he remembers he is a Catholic is when he wants seafood (generally shrimp) on Friday and DD doesn't want to mess with it, or when they really couldn't afford it when they first got married. :rolleyes:

So, do you and Craig "suck the heads," or just eat the tail meat? I honestly enjoy both.

As far as availability, I can get live crawfish here, but I have to order them a week or two in advance, and pay out the wazoo for them. But, they are almost 100 percent alive. I only have to throw away a very few dead ones.

CD

So, do you and Craig "suck the heads," or just eat the tail meat? I honestly enjoy both.

As far as availability, I can get live crawfish here, but I have to order them a week or two in advance, and pay out the wazoo for them. But, they are almost 100 percent alive. I only have to throw away a very few dead ones.

CD

Is there any other way?:ermm:

Since the air freight is the same, the total price is based on the cost per pound of the mud bugs. I have paid $1.99 to $2.99 per pound. They are shipped airport to airport and I have to pick them up. A Cajun friend turned me on to Sal's Riverside Seafood in Kenner, LA. In a 40# sack, the worst I've ever had was maybe a pound of DOAs.

Is there any other way?:ermm:er,

I seriously like to suck the heads... up to a point. It tastes so good, but it is pure fat, so I can only handle a certain amount.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
So caseydog, you are weird form of zombie since you like to eat muddydaddy brains?

Back
Top Bottom