"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
No real plans here. Have to work, come Monday we are going to Chicago. Pick up our son from boarding school. After work I will have to cook some food for the road. There are no kosher restaurants on the way, heck there is one lousy place here anyways. I wish I could find a good food thermos. Like my mom used to have. It was real big, wide mouth you can store enough food for the big family and it kept it hot the whole day. But in Chicago we are going to celebrate all the occasions at once. Fathers’ day, son’s graduation, our wedding anniversary and son’s birthday. Shh, don’t tell anybody, I ordered flowers, a huge bucket to be delivered to the table of the restaurant during dinner for my wife, it is surprise.
that's a blast from the past charlie.when we were kids we used to go to oulton park which was only 15 miles away to watch the motor/motorcycle racing,stirling moss,graham hill,john surtees,giacomo agostini etc,and mum used to take a wide neck food thermos packed with big fat frankfurters from the polish deli in chester.kept them hot all day.....happy days
back to fathers day i'm hoping to meet ben & his mum in manchester,hit china town then go & watch the new sci fi movie prometheus in 3D at the imax in the printworks

Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't know what the Father's Day menu is, but I will spend it with Shrek at Rehab. Get home in time to call my Daddy. I still haven't decided what to get him for Father's Day...some geeky toy most likely.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hope to do some Qing or grilling. However its June in So. Florida, so more than likely we'll be dodging donner und blitzen mit regen.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Head Chef

So nice to hear everyones plans, I didnt know we had it on the same day as the States, Mothers Day is different isnt it?

I'm making a roast dinner - its my boys favourite meal and some kind of fruity traybake cake maybe, love the soft fruits out at the moment, maybe something with nectarines. Then I suspect much lounging around and a bit of quaffing of wine.

For my Dad, we keep it simple, he loves a huge bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut, and I got him a personalised mug, I have one and he thinks its magic, like voodoo, as its blank then you put hot liquid in it and it reveals a photo (of him and my Mum). Its like Groundhog Day watching him fill it up like he's never seen it before......

Have a good day everyone and special thoughts to those who have lost their Dads, celebrate their memory. x
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Father's Day this year we're taking dad (DH) to Six Flags New England. When we used to live in southern Connecticut we'd always go to Great Adventure, but now we live close to the Mass. border so the park is only 30 minutes away. Unfortunately with amusement park prices, Father's Day dinner will be a $9 hot dog or $10 slice of pizza. He'll have fun though and DS promised him he'll ride a coaster this time.

Happy Father's Day!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Not sure what the four-legged kids are doing this year, we were supposed to be in Upstate NY for the weekend but that fell through. I guess what ever happens I'll be grilling something for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I still haven't decided what to get him for Father's Day...some geeky toy most likely.
Think Geek has a bunch of new Dr Who and Star Trek stuff...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Master Chef

My father is in Florida, my FIL died years ago, and we don't have children. However, a very dear friend turns 80 on Sunday. She's frail and blind (I read to her twice a week), and her kids are doing a party next month when they can all come. So Sunday hubby and I will go over for a bit with a bottle of bubbly and a comfort-food special from when I was a child that I haven't made in years (butterscotch graham cracker pudding).
Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Not sure what the four-legged kids are doing this year, we were supposed to be in Upstate NY for the weekend but that fell through. I guess what ever happens I'll be grilling something for dinner.

Think Geek has a bunch of new Dr Who and Star Trek stuff...
Yes, I was checking out what they had, but not quite satisfied with what Dad might like. I went to Lehmans.com and was thinking some gardening stuff or a gift card. Dad is a hard sell on presents, I have to be clever...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I went to Lehmans.com and was thinking some gardening stuff or a gift card. Dad is a hard sell on presents, I have to be clever...
Quote:
I still haven't decided what to get him for Father's Day...some geeky toy most likely.
Garden + Geek = Garden Geek Gifts, T-Shirts, & Clothing | Garden Geek Merchandise

How about this one ... http://www.cafepress.com/+the_gnomes...shirt,93200474
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Baby Bro is the last father left on my side of the family. We plan to descend en mass (our mother is showing up too, oh the horror. Thankfully, my sister can't make it, a house fell on her) and make his life miserable for awhile. Will see the darling niece. My SIL is incubating a new nephew, should make for an interesting time!