"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Father's Day plans?

is anyone planning anything special for father's day this sunday? any good eats on the menu? cooking at home or going out to eat?

the bonehead managers at my job decided it was a good weekend for a massive project that will take all saturday night into sunday morning.

but i hope to get home early, catch an hour or so of sleep, then head down the shore with my family to go out on a party boat (the dorothy b. out of highlands, nj Dorothy B. - Fishing Atlantic Highlands New Jersey and Cruises New York Harbor ) for an afternoon of fishing. then we're going out for japanese hibachi for dinner before heading home.

i have no idea what to do for or give my dad for father's day. what does an 89 year old man possibly need or could use? i'll be sure to get a nice card off in the mail by tomorrow.

what are your father's day plans?

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
My two daughters are coming here for a cookout. (That's really my Father's Day gift) One will bring our SIL and grandson, the other will bring a new boyfriend for us to meet. Both will bring food.

I'll be grilling HB and HD along with kielbasa. We'll have potato and tossed salads, SO is making a chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting. I'll have some ice cream to go with it. I'm also going to try making some macaroons. If they turn out good, I'll serve them up.

I'm also smoking a bacon wrapped fattie as an appetizer/burger alternative.

I would have liked to do more smoking and such but the younger generation mostly prefers beige food.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac
For me Father's Day will be very quiet. It is the first without my Dad, and even Tony's Dad is in Edmonton so we won't be celebrating with him. But I am not going to make it a sad day either.

It is a busy weekend with a cake order due for Saturday afternoon, and, while I am not organizing the food this year, I will be attending our church's banquet for all grads. It is a highlight of the year - they all dress up and there are photo tributes, words from parents, skits, etc. I think it will be great to take my mind off Father's day.

I am planning to make DH a nice dinner as he is "Dad" to our furbabies. Not sure what it will be yet, but something he doesn't normally have.

Thanks for starting this, Bucky....and you are one of the best Dads I know!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I plan on calling my dad and wishing him Happy Father's Day in Norwegian. I can't be there, but I know he will be tickled pink to hear me wish him Happy Dad's Day in Norwegian. He keeps forgetting I know how to say some things in Norwegian...
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm planning to do some pounded chicken coated with goat cheese and a multitude of fresh chopped herbs of which I plan to use thyme,parsley,cilantro, a leaf or 2 of sage, tarragon, chives,green onions or shallots.. then wrap the rolled chicken in chicken skin brown it and finish it off in the oven. Andy's mom's pilaf it was ordered along with buttered noodles, A great big green salad with home made crutons, avocado, thin sliced sweet onion, escarole, homemade rolls, lots of fresh fruit.
deviled eggs, a platter of shrimp icy cold with cocktail sauce. Melon wrapped in prosciutto
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks very much, lp. i'm sorry about your dad, but i'm sure you know he'll be with you in spirit, and in your heart.

andy, your day sounds fun.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
My daughter just asked me if I had made any plans for Sunday. It didn't occur to me right off that it is Father's Day. She said they want to take me out to the Jamaican restaurant for lunch on Sunday. I like the idea, although Mrs Hoot is kinda leery of any place that serves goat meat.
I 'spect we will have a great time.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Master Chef
No real plans here. Have to work, come Monday we are going to Chicago. Pick up our son from boarding school. After work I will have to cook some food for the road. There are no kosher restaurants on the way, heck there is one lousy place here anyways. I wish I could find a good food thermos. Like my mom used to have. It was real big, wide mouth you can store enough food for the big family and it kept it hot the whole day. But in Chicago we are going to celebrate all the occasions at once. Fathers’ day, son’s graduation, our wedding anniversary and son’s birthday. Shh, don’t tell anybody, I ordered flowers, a huge bucket to be delivered to the table of the restaurant during dinner for my wife, it is surprise.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Our girls are dancing in recital Sunday afternoon AND Sunday evening so likely we will be doing a Dad's breakfast in bed. Then we'll watch our girls dance and come home to make dinner by ourselves and wait for the call to go pick 'em up after the last show. Ken's requested a roast chicken dinner. I'm thinking beer butt.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Half Baked
Taking the family on a hike near the coast in the redwoods. The weather on this side of the mountain will be pushing 90-100. Might try a little mushroom foraging while there. I will be very careful identifying any if we decide to bring some home and eat them.

I haven't even thought about about food yet. If I am not cooking we should probably go out if you know what I mean.

Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote