Father's Day plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
is anyone planning anything special for father's day this sunday? any good eats on the menu? cooking at home or going out to eat?

the bonehead managers at my job decided it was a good weekend for a massive project that will take all saturday night into sunday morning.

but i hope to get home early, catch an hour or so of sleep, then head down the shore with my family to go out on a party boat (the dorothy b. out of highlands, nj Dorothy B. - Fishing Atlantic Highlands New Jersey and Cruises New York Harbor ) for an afternoon of fishing. then we're going out for japanese hibachi for dinner before heading home.

i have no idea what to do for or give my dad for father's day. what does an 89 year old man possibly need or could use? i'll be sure to get a nice card off in the mail by tomorrow.

what are your father's day plans?

My two daughters are coming here for a cookout. (That's really my Father's Day gift) One will bring our SIL and grandson, the other will bring a new boyfriend for us to meet. Both will bring food.

I'll be grilling HB and HD along with kielbasa. We'll have potato and tossed salads, SO is making a chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting. I'll have some ice cream to go with it. I'm also going to try making some macaroons. If they turn out good, I'll serve them up.

I'm also smoking a bacon wrapped fattie as an appetizer/burger alternative.

I would have liked to do more smoking and such but the younger generation mostly prefers beige food.

For me Father's Day will be very quiet. It is the first without my Dad, and even Tony's Dad is in Edmonton so we won't be celebrating with him. But I am not going to make it a sad day either.

It is a busy weekend with a cake order due for Saturday afternoon, and, while I am not organizing the food this year, I will be attending our church's banquet for all grads. It is a highlight of the year - they all dress up and there are photo tributes, words from parents, skits, etc. I think it will be great to take my mind off Father's day.

I am planning to make DH a nice dinner as he is "Dad" to our furbabies. Not sure what it will be yet, but something he doesn't normally have.

Thanks for starting this, Bucky....and you are one of the best Dads I know!

I plan on calling my dad and wishing him Happy Father's Day in Norwegian. I can't be there, but I know he will be tickled pink to hear me wish him Happy Dad's Day in Norwegian. He keeps forgetting I know how to say some things in Norwegian...

I'm planning to do some pounded chicken coated with goat cheese and a multitude of fresh chopped herbs of which I plan to use thyme,parsley,cilantro, a leaf or 2 of sage, tarragon, chives,green onions or shallots.. then wrap the rolled chicken in chicken skin brown it and finish it off in the oven. Andy's mom's pilaf it was ordered along with buttered noodles, A great big green salad with home made crutons, avocado, thin sliced sweet onion, escarole, homemade rolls, lots of fresh fruit.
deviled eggs, a platter of shrimp icy cold with cocktail sauce. Melon wrapped in prosciutto
kades

thanks very much, lp. i'm sorry about your dad, but i'm sure you know he'll be with you in spirit, and in your heart.

andy, your day sounds fun.

My daughter just asked me if I had made any plans for Sunday. It didn't occur to me right off that it is Father's Day. She said they want to take me out to the Jamaican restaurant for lunch on Sunday. I like the idea, although Mrs Hoot is kinda leery of any place that serves goat meat.
I 'spect we will have a great time.

No real plans here. Have to work, come Monday we are going to Chicago. Pick up our son from boarding school. After work I will have to cook some food for the road. There are no kosher restaurants on the way, heck there is one lousy place here anyways. I wish I could find a good food thermos. Like my mom used to have. It was real big, wide mouth you can store enough food for the big family and it kept it hot the whole day. But in Chicago we are going to celebrate all the occasions at once. Fathers’ day, son’s graduation, our wedding anniversary and son’s birthday. Shh, don’t tell anybody, I ordered flowers, a huge bucket to be delivered to the table of the restaurant during dinner for my wife, it is surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our girls are dancing in recital Sunday afternoon AND Sunday evening so likely we will be doing a Dad's breakfast in bed. Then we'll watch our girls dance and come home to make dinner by ourselves and wait for the call to go pick 'em up after the last show. Ken's requested a roast chicken dinner. I'm thinking beer butt.

Taking the family on a hike near the coast in the redwoods. The weather on this side of the mountain will be pushing 90-100. Might try a little mushroom foraging while there. I will be very careful identifying any if we decide to bring some home and eat them.

I haven't even thought about about food yet. If I am not cooking we should probably go out if you know what I mean.

No real plans here. Have to work, come Monday we are going to Chicago. Pick up our son from boarding school. After work I will have to cook some food for the road. There are no kosher restaurants on the way, heck there is one lousy place here anyways. I wish I could find a good food thermos. Like my mom used to have. It was real big, wide mouth you can store enough food for the big family and it kept it hot the whole day. But in Chicago we are going to celebrate all the occasions at once. Fathers’ day, son’s graduation, our wedding anniversary and son’s birthday. Shh, don’t tell anybody, I ordered flowers, a huge bucket to be delivered to the table of the restaurant during dinner for my wife, it is surprise.
that's a blast from the past charlie.when we were kids we used to go to oulton park which was only 15 miles away to watch the motor/motorcycle racing,stirling moss,graham hill,john surtees,giacomo agostini etc,and mum used to take a wide neck food thermos packed with big fat frankfurters from the polish deli in chester.kept them hot all day.....happy days:)
back to fathers day i'm hoping to meet ben & his mum in manchester,hit china town then go & watch the new sci fi movie prometheus in 3D at the imax in the printworks:cool:

I don't know what the Father's Day menu is, but I will spend it with Shrek at Rehab. Get home in time to call my Daddy. I still haven't decided what to get him for Father's Day...some geeky toy most likely.

Hope to do some Qing or grilling. However its June in So. Florida, so more than likely we'll be dodging donner und blitzen mit regen.

So nice to hear everyones plans, I didnt know we had it on the same day as the States, Mothers Day is different isnt it?

I'm making a roast dinner - its my boys favourite meal and some kind of fruity traybake cake maybe, love the soft fruits out at the moment, maybe something with nectarines. Then I suspect much lounging around and a bit of quaffing of wine.

For my Dad, we keep it simple, he loves a huge bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut, and I got him a personalised mug, I have one and he thinks its magic, like voodoo, as its blank then you put hot liquid in it and it reveals a photo (of him and my Mum). Its like Groundhog Day watching him fill it up like he's never seen it before......

Have a good day everyone and special thoughts to those who have lost their Dads, celebrate their memory. x

Father's Day this year we're taking dad (DH) to Six Flags New England. When we used to live in southern Connecticut we'd always go to Great Adventure, but now we live close to the Mass. border so the park is only 30 minutes away. Unfortunately with amusement park prices, Father's Day dinner will be a $9 hot dog or $10 slice of pizza. He'll have fun though and DS promised him he'll ride a coaster this time.

Happy Father's Day!!!

Not sure what the four-legged kids are doing this year, we were supposed to be in Upstate NY for the weekend but that fell through. I guess what ever happens I'll be grilling something for dinner.

I still haven't decided what to get him for Father's Day...some geeky toy most likely.

Think Geek has a bunch of new Dr Who and Star Trek stuff...

My father is in Florida, my FIL died years ago, and we don't have children. However, a very dear friend turns 80 on Sunday. She's frail and blind (I read to her twice a week), and her kids are doing a party next month when they can all come. So Sunday hubby and I will go over for a bit with a bottle of bubbly and a comfort-food special from when I was a child that I haven't made in years (butterscotch graham cracker pudding).

Not sure what the four-legged kids are doing this year, we were supposed to be in Upstate NY for the weekend but that fell through. I guess what ever happens I'll be grilling something for dinner.

Think Geek has a bunch of new Dr Who and Star Trek stuff...

Yes, I was checking out what they had, but not quite satisfied with what Dad might like. I went to Lehmans.com and was thinking some gardening stuff or a gift card. Dad is a hard sell on presents, I have to be clever...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Baby Bro is the last father left on my side of the family. We plan to descend en mass (our mother is showing up too, oh the horror. Thankfully, my sister can't make it, a house fell on her) and make his life miserable for awhile. Will see the darling niece. My SIL is incubating a new nephew, should make for an interesting time!

Back
Top Bottom