"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Beef Stroganoff, Grand Marnier Souffle and Cabernet Sauvignon. Candles. Best of the Kendalls album in the background.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

besides the music, i want to date otter...lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
:oops:
Old 11-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
:oops: Thanks again for the Breadman recipes - really simplified my life.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

no prob. if i get a few minutes later, i'll finish straightening out the columns so you can print it out easier. i had it all typed out neat and everything, but when i submitted it, it eliminated all of the spaces and crammed all of the words together.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
no prob. if i get a few minutes later, i'll finish straightening out the columns so you can print it out easier. i had it all typed out neat and everything, but when i submitted it, it eliminated all of the spaces and crammed all of the words together.
Don't bother re-typing, it's workable for me in its present format. The recipes from that little book always seem to work best for me.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I do the fingerfood route on romantic evenings. This has the meat he likes - what we do is slice a baguette and slice the meat really, really thin and eat it that way -

Flank Steak w/Chimichurri Sauce

Modified Chimichurri sauce:

1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sherry
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 flank steak, 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb..
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Method
You can make this in a bowl and add the meat to it but I made it in a bowl and marinated the meat in a large freezer zip lock bag. Either way, add the olive oil, vinegar, sherry, cilantro, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, and some salt in pepper into a bowl and stir it together. Remove about 1/3 of the mixture and reserve for adding at the end.

Add the flank steak and what's left of the mixture to a zip lock bag and refrigerate for several hours. About 3 hours would be great but 2 will do (all day is ok too). Be sure to remove the steak from the refrigerator 20 -30 minutes before you start grilling. It's always better to grill meat at room temperature.

Grill the meat directly over the heat. Depending on your grill and how you like your meat, cook for about 5 minutes per side turning the meat over only once. (if the piece of meat is over an inch thick you might want to grill it 6-7 minutes on each side) If the meat looks like it is cooking too fast and is starting to burn, just move it over to a cooler spot on the grill. I brushed a little of the marinade on the steak before turning over.

Remove the steak from the grill, slice it across the grain into thin pieces. Place 1 or 2 slices on a sliced baguette and top it with a little Chimichurri sauce.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

My husband's favorite romatic-type meal is a pot of steamed mussels (white wine, fresh rosemary and thyme, and tons of chopped shallots with just a touch of butter) and some fresh bruschetta. Don't ask me why but that meal is his favorite!

It's all basically finger food - and you could add the flank steak recipe above as the meat - you still have the baguette for both the bruschetta AND the meat.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Tell hubby in a very casual way that you were reading an article in a magazine about romantic dinners. Ask him what his idea of a romantic dinner is and what he would eat. Take note! :)

Then, spring exactly what he told you on him. Trust me, by then he will have forgotten all about it. Men are kinda stupid that way :D
Old 11-16-2004, 03:50 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Yea, what Leaf Storm said........about the asking him that is......not "men are kinda stupid that way" LOL