For a romantic meal what would you serve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Anyone care to share what they would serve for a romantic meal for just the two of you? Recipes would be nice also :)
After the Thanksgiving holidays I'd like to surprise hubby with a quiet evening for two.

OYSTERS, and plenty of 'em! That should get things Sizzlin', SizzlininIN.
animhearts.gif

Depends...is he home all day or does he come home drunk?? LMAO...ok ok ok

My hubby really enjoys his steak, and not often enough do I make one of his favorite dishes.....

Staeak Sandwich and Fries.....Not too elaborate but if i wanted to make it romantic JUST for him, I would chose his favorite meal and spice it up alittle.

my idea of what your hubby might like: to start, a bottle of coppola blue label merlot. smoked trout on buttered toast points, with a creamy dill sauce for appetizer. a small mesculun salad with sumpreme of oranges and red grapefruits, goat cheese, and pine nuts. a rack of rosemary lamb, salt encrusted baked potato, and evoo/butter sauteed string beans and shiitakes...

for dessert, some fresh berries, whipped cream, and a pot of earl grey, with a snifter of gran marnier... oh, and leave the can of whipped cream on the table ;)

Yes Steak will def. be a good choice for hubby tan and middie. Think I'll through in a few of those oysters too WayneT.
Bucky.... hubby is a pretty simple kind of guy. But heck you can fix that meal for me anytime and he can just sit and watch me inhale it :LOL:

Foods that you eat with your fingers are always romantic, especially if you feed each other.

depends on how hungry you are, or you might end up missing a few digits... :shock:

dw was feeding me some bread at a family picnic while i was holding the baby. i hadn't eaten all day, so i nearly took her fingernail off...

GB said:
Foods that you eat with your fingers are always romantic, especially if you feed each other.

Ya beat me to it. :)

Yes, anything that's eaten with your fingers is sexy. How about chocolate fondu with fruit for dessert?

Beef Stroganoff, Grand Marnier Souffle and Cabernet Sauvignon. Candles. Best of the Kendalls album in the background.

no prob. if i get a few minutes later, i'll finish straightening out the columns so you can print it out easier. i had it all typed out neat and everything, but when i submitted it, it eliminated all of the spaces and crammed all of the words together.

buckytom said:
no prob. if i get a few minutes later, i'll finish straightening out the columns so you can print it out easier. i had it all typed out neat and everything, but when i submitted it, it eliminated all of the spaces and crammed all of the words together.
Don't bother re-typing, it's workable for me in its present format. The recipes from that little book always seem to work best for me.

I do the fingerfood route on romantic evenings. This has the meat he likes - what we do is slice a baguette and slice the meat really, really thin and eat it that way -

Flank Steak w/Chimichurri Sauce

Modified Chimichurri sauce:

1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sherry
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 flank steak, 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb..
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Method
You can make this in a bowl and add the meat to it but I made it in a bowl and marinated the meat in a large freezer zip lock bag. Either way, add the olive oil, vinegar, sherry, cilantro, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, and some salt in pepper into a bowl and stir it together. Remove about 1/3 of the mixture and reserve for adding at the end.

Add the flank steak and what's left of the mixture to a zip lock bag and refrigerate for several hours. About 3 hours would be great but 2 will do (all day is ok too). Be sure to remove the steak from the refrigerator 20 -30 minutes before you start grilling. It's always better to grill meat at room temperature.

Grill the meat directly over the heat. Depending on your grill and how you like your meat, cook for about 5 minutes per side turning the meat over only once. (if the piece of meat is over an inch thick you might want to grill it 6-7 minutes on each side) If the meat looks like it is cooking too fast and is starting to burn, just move it over to a cooler spot on the grill. I brushed a little of the marinade on the steak before turning over.

Remove the steak from the grill, slice it across the grain into thin pieces. Place 1 or 2 slices on a sliced baguette and top it with a little Chimichurri sauce.

My husband's favorite romatic-type meal is a pot of steamed mussels (white wine, fresh rosemary and thyme, and tons of chopped shallots with just a touch of butter) and some fresh bruschetta. Don't ask me why but that meal is his favorite!

It's all basically finger food - and you could add the flank steak recipe above as the meat - you still have the baguette for both the bruschetta AND the meat.

Tell hubby in a very casual way that you were reading an article in a magazine about romantic dinners. Ask him what his idea of a romantic dinner is and what he would eat. Take note! :)

Then, spring exactly what he told you on him. Trust me, by then he will have forgotten all about it. Men are kinda stupid that way :D

Back
Top Bottom