"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
German Christmas Meal(s)

in my introduction-thread Alena asked for traditonal german Christmas meal. So I decided to write something about it here.

Originally Posted by Alena
Hi Marcus! I have been searching for German recipes so we'll have to trade! I am most interested in what is a traditional Christmas meal. We would love to visit your country at Christmastime. Both my husband and I have ancestors from Germany.
First of all you should know germans celebrate christmas quite different to americans, as i know.

In Germany we normaly celebrate all THREE days of christmas, and gifts were exchanged on christmas eve. For that reason many familys do only eat something that's easy to cook, and don't let them stay in the kitchen the whole day. As I was a little boy we often had "Saussages with potatoe-salad" on christmas eve.

For the first and second day of christmas most familys celebrate cooking and eating.

Typical Christmas Meals are:

-Carp with salted potatoes and Cucumber salad, citron and "Remoulade" (sth. like salad cream) and/or potatoe salad. In south germany the carp often is made with bread crump (?)
-Goose with "Rotkohl and Knödel" (red cabbish and dumpling ? ) with
a bound Sauce from the roast juice

More modern but very liked is "Schweinebraten" (Pig Roast/Ham (?)), Fondue or Raclette (don't know english words for that...do you know this?) For me, Fondue and Raclette is typical for new years eve... i won't have it for christmas anyway...

There are so many different recipes for the two traditional meals, i don't know where to start. But I'll try to translate my favourite recipes, hope it don't take to long.

Greetings, Markus

hmmm... taste interesting...
HectorSamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
And don't forget Christ Stollen... my stand out favourite from Germany in recent years, ganz güt!! We made this last year Planning to go for the second round in a couple of weeks!!

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
And don't forget Christ Stollen...
Yes of course... christmas and the time before christmas is a real sweet time. It won't be advent season without cookies, Christ Stollen and Baumkuchen (do you know "tree cakes"?). And never forget gingerbread and marzipan dominos...

Next weekend we'll start with cookie-season... :)

I didn't mentioned all theese sweet things, because they are more for advent than chistmas... and also you normaly don't have them for meal or dinner...
hmmm... taste interesting...
HectorSamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Master Chef
This line is making me smile. One year I bought food gifts for everyone in my family. They arrived without names. One of my sisters was born in Germany, one in France. I sent stollen and a chocolate yule log. I sent an exotic nut butter. I sent maple syrup and licorice. No one had any problem figuring out whose gift each was. I still buy food gifts, but that particular year was a favorite, all around.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote