Girls night out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... But the bride and groom got special food,...

This is probably one thing I could never do … But that is irrelevant and is a topic for a completely different discussion.

As far as age group, note that it is party for girls and their mothers, so we will have all ages group. I am not going to worry about that, I think everybody eat hamburgers and salads.

Chips, looks like is going to be the choice.

Well, more like day time BBQ/picnic for 11-12 year old girls and their mothers. Main foods are hamburgers, maybe hot dogs. We will try to put out as many fixings as possible, here is tentative list:
Onions
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Pickles
Mushrooms
Peppers
Sautéed mushrooms
Sautéed onions
Crispy onions
Guacamole
Chili
Pesto
Ketchup
Mustard
Dijon mustard
Mayonnaise
Salsa
Thousand island dressing
Ranch dressing
Onion dip
BBQ sauce
Relish
Pineapple
Jalapenos
Question is like this, do we need to make salads? What kind of salads. The picnic is going to be in a part, so no kitchen, but we can make everything ahead of time, but I do not want to make too much stuff because I'm sure all the mommies are on a diet. Like I was thinking corn on a cub, but my wife doesn't think it will fly with ladies.
Please help me out. No Dairy please.

I sort of understand the no dairy not mixing meat w/ dairy, right?. Are your guests not permitted to mix the two, or is about preparing the two together?

If it is no dairy - eggs, milk, cheese, sour cream, be careful with the dressings & dips, & omit anything with mayonnaise.

Burgers - buns, condiments, (ketchup) & cheese (if allowed), lettuce & tomatoes are optional.

Same for hot dogs. Keep it simple.

I would serve salads. I posted a layered pasta salad with vinaigrette dressing, & (layered) fruit salad (w/ honey/lime dressing) ideas/recipes. No mayo or dairy.

I like kasha varnishkas or potato pancakes with my hot dogs.

Chips are not cheap for a crowd. You could go with restaurant-style tortilla chips & salsa, or even a potato pancake pie.

I like the idea of corn on the cob. (Guessing the butter ((dairy)) would be out.) You could make a corn salad tex/mex style.

Chile & onions is great on dogs & burgers. Guessing, no cheese is allowed.

Again, I would keep it simple, and forget about all the extra extra toppings.

Last edited:
The Salad Course:

1. Pasta salad

2. Antipasti without Cheese: artichokes, red or gold or green or all 3 bell peppers, Olives ( black and green ), capers, pickles, cherry tomatoes, Turkey Breast, Salami, Bologni = Deli Kosher Meats and asparagus sautéed in Evoo.

3. Potato salad: potatoes, mustard, basil, walnuts, hard boiled egg, salami or kosher turkey sausage, tomato cherry, asparagus green sautéed with a bit of scallion or onion sautéed or chive herb snipped.

4. Eggplant Capanata ( tomato, eggplant, olives, capers )

5. Sautéed chicken In Evoo, with garlic, basil minced, walnuts and / or pinenuts salad with mustard or Home Made Mayo: egg yolk whisked with Evoo Olive Oil and garlic

Kindest.
Margi.

I'd make a pasta salad with a vinaigrette type dressing. No mayo, since you will not have refrigeration. I think you have too many choices for condiments/toppings. Keep it simple, and you won't have to deal with too much leftover stuff.

Hi, Charlie

I was poking around & remembered...

Tyler's Ultimate Burger Bar:

The Burger Bar : Recipes and Cooking : Food Network

I'd go with the Brisket Burgers.

Maybe, it will give you some ideas.

Thank you, unfortunatelly for some reason all I can get to is one picture, maybe it is work thing, will try at home. Brisket burger for sure is not going to happen, kosher brisket coast in or around $12-15 a pound. :wacko:

Thank you, unfortunatelly for some reason all I can get to is one picture, maybe it is work thing, will try at home. Brisket burger for sure is not going to happen, kosher brisket coast in or around $12-15 a pound. :wacko:

Here ya go, Charlie...

Ultimate Burgers Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Ground beef works too. Since Memorial Day is coming up, maybe it will give you some more ideas to play with.

Here is the idea for the layered pasta salad w/ vinaigrette in a trifle bowl or clear glass bowl, I mentioned. (Use any ingredients ((pasta, veggies, dressing)) you like.) I do the same with fruit salad.

Recipes from Top Tastes

Melon and Mozzarella Salad

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/melon-and-mozzarella-salad-10000002003443/

Last edited:
Hummus with crudités and pita chips

Babaghanuj Tahine ( eggplant )

Sliced Beetroot & Triple Skin Orange Salad

Potato latkes to go with the Burgers - an alternative to the fries

Green Bean or Green & Red Cabbage Slaw & Red Sweet Bell

Just some last minute thoughts.

Hope all is running smoothly, and that your daughter´s day is very extraordinaire.

Kindest regards.
Margi Cintrano

Last edited:
Charlie;
Just a thought; instead of the standard birthday cake for desert, what about a dramatic dutch baby, filled with a wonderful, cooked fruit filling, such as baked peaches, or spiced apple, with candles placed in the filling. The dutch babies could be made in a 6" Cast iron or similar pan, or even in a ramekin. Serve hot with ice cream on the side.

If the dutch baby was filled with something like Bananas Foster, the candles could be omited, and the whole dish flambe'd.

Seeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Desert is really not my thing, not becasue I do not do it, but becasue i have to save something for my wife to do. She likes to make desert and I do not argue with her. Of course it means that I will have none, but that is another story. ;)

Thanks everybody for suggestions. Party went really well, thank G-d even weather cooperated yesterday. I did managed to get sunburn, but not really bad and only because I was grilling, standing in one place.
We ended up with about 80 women and girls plus few men, both of our sons were home, a rear treat for us nowadays, both of our fathers and a couple of rabbis whom we invited to give a speech on the account of Bat Mitzvah. About 40 pounds of beef and about 150 hotdogs were consumed. For the sides we had pretty standard fair: tomatoes, onions, pickles, lettuce, crunchy fried onion (store bought) sautéed mushrooms were a huge hit, I cooked about 10 pounds of mushrooms, it was all gone, salsa and guacamole, though guacamole did not go so well during the bbq, everybody took some home and that was also gone, that was about 80 avocadoes by the way, corn on the cub and bunch of condiments.
We had bunch of store bought cakes and a huge fruit salad, surprisingly fruit salad did not go so well, and neither did soda, people drank a lots of plain bottled water. All in all it was great. I’m tired like hell today and cannot get myself to work, but that shell pass.
Again thank you could not have done it without you.

Wonderful, Charlie! So glad it went well, and I bet you are exhausted!

Thanks everybody for suggestions. Party went really well, thank G-d even weather cooperated yesterday. I did managed to get sunburn, but not really bad and only because I was grilling, standing in one place.
We ended up with about 80 women and girls plus few men, both of our sons were home, a rear treat for us nowadays, both of our fathers and a couple of rabbis whom we invited to give a speech on the account of Bat Mitzvah. About 40 pounds of beef and about 150 hotdogs were consumed. For the sides we had pretty standard fair: tomatoes, onions, pickles, lettuce, crunchy fried onion (store bought) sautéed mushrooms were a huge hit, I cooked about 10 pounds of mushrooms, it was all gone, salsa and guacamole, though guacamole did not go so well during the bbq, everybody took some home and that was also gone, that was about 80 avocadoes by the way, corn on the cub and bunch of condiments.
We had bunch of store bought cakes and a huge fruit salad, surprisingly fruit salad did not go so well, and neither did soda, people drank a lots of plain bottled water. All in all it was great. I’m tired like hell today and cannot get myself to work, but that shell pass.
Again thank you could not have done it without you.
Well done! But more importantly, the guest of honor will remember the day as a perfect day! Pat yourself on the back, you done good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom