"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #51
Master Chef

Charlie;
Just a thought; instead of the standard birthday cake for desert, what about a dramatic dutch baby, filled with a wonderful, cooked fruit filling, such as baked peaches, or spiced apple, with candles placed in the filling. The dutch babies could be made in a 6" Cast iron or similar pan, or even in a ramekin. Serve hot with ice cream on the side.

If the dutch baby was filled with something like Bananas Foster, the candles could be omited, and the whole dish flambe'd.

Seeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
Master Chef

Desert is really not my thing, not becasue I do not do it, but becasue i have to save something for my wife to do. She likes to make desert and I do not argue with her. Of course it means that I will have none, but that is another story.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #53
Master Chef

Thanks everybody for suggestions. Party went really well, thank G-d even weather cooperated yesterday. I did managed to get sunburn, but not really bad and only because I was grilling, standing in one place.
We ended up with about 80 women and girls plus few men, both of our sons were home, a rear treat for us nowadays, both of our fathers and a couple of rabbis whom we invited to give a speech on the account of Bat Mitzvah. About 40 pounds of beef and about 150 hotdogs were consumed. For the sides we had pretty standard fair: tomatoes, onions, pickles, lettuce, crunchy fried onion (store bought) sautéed mushrooms were a huge hit, I cooked about 10 pounds of mushrooms, it was all gone, salsa and guacamole, though guacamole did not go so well during the bbq, everybody took some home and that was also gone, that was about 80 avocadoes by the way, corn on the cub and bunch of condiments.
We had bunch of store bought cakes and a huge fruit salad, surprisingly fruit salad did not go so well, and neither did soda, people drank a lots of plain bottled water. All in all it was great. I’m tired like hell today and cannot get myself to work, but that shell pass.
Again thank you could not have done it without you.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wonderful, Charlie! So glad it went well, and I bet you are exhausted!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yay Charlie!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Great to hear the party went well Charlie
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #57
Head Chef

Well done Chazzers you are a star !
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #58
Master Chef

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thanks everybody for suggestions. Party went really well, thank G-d even weather cooperated yesterday. I did managed to get sunburn, but not really bad and only because I was grilling, standing in one place.
We ended up with about 80 women and girls plus few men, both of our sons were home, a rear treat for us nowadays, both of our fathers and a couple of rabbis whom we invited to give a speech on the account of Bat Mitzvah. About 40 pounds of beef and about 150 hotdogs were consumed. For the sides we had pretty standard fair: tomatoes, onions, pickles, lettuce, crunchy fried onion (store bought) sautéed mushrooms were a huge hit, I cooked about 10 pounds of mushrooms, it was all gone, salsa and guacamole, though guacamole did not go so well during the bbq, everybody took some home and that was also gone, that was about 80 avocadoes by the way, corn on the cub and bunch of condiments.
We had bunch of store bought cakes and a huge fruit salad, surprisingly fruit salad did not go so well, and neither did soda, people drank a lots of plain bottled water. All in all it was great. I’m tired like hell today and cannot get myself to work, but that shell pass.
Again thank you could not have done it without you.
Well done! But more importantly, the guest of honor will remember the day as a perfect day! Pat yourself on the back, you done good.