"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Sous Chef

OMG - you guys are great. These are great ideas. I like the walking tostada idea but my sister is wanting everyone to be able to assemble their own. I'll definitely run it by her, though.

Great idea about assmble your own chicken salad sandwiches.

For the deviled eggs, can I make the deviled mixture ahead of time and keep in a ziplock and pipe it from there? I don't want to buy a lot of equipment.

For warm things we have two chafing dishes and two crockpots at our disposal. I was kind of trying to figure that into the menu. Let me know if you think that's not enough.

Thanks for the tips on keeping things cold. I've jotted it all down.

Again, any advice anyone has is awesome. I have my two sisters, my mother, and my dh to help me some, but most of the work is on me.

If anyone has ideas about putting together a plan "timeline", I could use some help with that.

THANKS!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Sous Chef

When you have your menu 'set in stone' list it and we can all help you with your 'timeline'.

"can I make the deviled mixture ahead of time and keep in a ziplock" - yes, but I wouldn't make this any more the 2 days ahead of time.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I think the menu is set:

*For the crescent rolls, I guess they are quite inexpensive, where actual croissants would be over our budget. Too bad I can bring some to her.

Chicken salad sandwiches on Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
BBQ meatballs

Crabbies (this is just like a Paula Deen recipe I saw on a DVD my mom sent me - thank God for my dual format DVD player!)
Parmesan-Rosemary pinwheels (again, made with these crescent rolls )

Nacho bar
-tortillas
-salsa (from a favorite local mex restaurant)
-queso
-black olives
-guacamole
-sour cream

vegetable tray

cheese tray

deviled eggs

graduation cupcakes

(if time and money permit, I might make my dh's Baklava... he's from Turkey and we have a very nice recipe for this tasty treat)

I'm going to have on-hand in case things run out: potato chips, peanuts, tinned fruit salad, and extra bread.

Help!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I think your menu sounds fun and different from the same menu party after party. I would stick with the nacho/taco bar idea. It will go over great with teens. What part of Indiana will it be in? I may have to stop by

Sher
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherin65
I think your menu sounds fun and different from the same menu party after party. I would stick with the nacho/taco bar idea. It will go over great with teens. What part of Indiana will it be in? I may have to stop by

Sher
'Terrible' Haute

Where are you?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
'Terrible' Haute

Where are you?
Crown Point, NW Region

If you belong to a warehouse club like Sams, check out the price on their mini croissants. I often buy those instead of the canned cresents. I think they're cheaper.

Sher