"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Would you please share your recipe for the ramen slaw? I'd like to have something like that as a backup.
Ramen Slaw

1 pkg. uncooked Ramen chicken flavor noodles(crumbled)

1/2 head cabbage
1 bunch of chinese cabbage (or Napa cabbage)
***I use 2 bags of precut slaw mix instead of the two different cabbages

1 small bunch green onions

1pkg. sliced almonds
1 sm. pkg of sunflower seeds ****I use a couple of handfuls of the almonds and sunflower seeds until I like the amount
1 TBl sesame seeds

2TBL vinegar
1/2 cup oil
4 TBL sugar
1 pkg seasoning from Ramen noodle pkg.

Mix all together. Pour dressing over just before serving.

sherin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef
One thing I think you can eliminate is the potato casserole and just go with a really good potato salad it will go great with everything else.
If you do chicken wings instead of fried you could also use the little drummetes(more meat) I would do at least pounds 20 pounds they are a popular item and dissapear quick you can do the celery and carrot sticks with them and the blue cheese dressing.
I have made up to 10 pounds of chicken wings for girl parties of 20-25 and they are gone in no time.
Another thing you can do is serve chips and dip before the meal to fill them up a bit before they hit the buffet it will slow down their appetites a bit.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
I don't know, IMO I would keep the veggie tray. The veggies trays don't exactly disappear (except for the carrots!) but they are always appreciated by those watching their waistline. I always have a veggie tray - just not a huge one and I cut extra carrots to replenish as they dissappear.

I do agree that not as many come to Graduation parties as the kids expect, at least that has been my experience.
Actually one dish that I had recently (as a middle eastern favorite of all things) was simply sliced apples with honey to dip in. I thought it was kind of a healthy alternative kind of thing, but the kids were all over it. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

I liked the Buffalo Wings suggestion made earlier except that if this graduation party is anything like my sons', then you want to do everything you can to discourage sticky spicy-sauce covered fingers.

…only need Relastin until I learn Photoshop
michen_122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
There will be bowls of chips. I forgot to mention that before.

Do you think I should have a "hot" vegetable? I wasn't planning on it since I have the veggie trays but now I'm wondering if I should have one......

sherin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Oh nip that idea in the bud!! You are perfectly fine with the veggie tray. People are coming and going and nibbling on the way. Your menu is great - don't need to add a thing. Enjoy!!!

PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote