Gravy for 40-50?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A third of a cup converts to just over 3 oz. 2 quarts = 64 oz which is 1/2 gal or 16 cups. (These are liquid conversions).

A third of a cup = 2 2/3 ounces or 5 1/3 tablespoons. While 64 ounces is a half gallon it's equal to only 8 cups.

A third of a cup = 2 2/3 ounces or 5 1/3 tablespoons. While 64 ounces is a half gallon it's equal to only 8 cups.
You're right--been living in the metric world too long...2 c in a pint, 2 pints (4 c) in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon (16 c) so yes, that would make 8 c in 2 qt. Could we all use the same units of measure someday:LOL:. However, I disagree re: 1/3 of a cup: .3333333 ounce.

Online Conversion - Cooking Conversions

A friend of mine has this really cool measuring cup that has liquid measures on one side, dry measures on another, and cups on the other., metric on the other side. I so want one of those measuring cups! I think she bought it in Poland...

A friend of mine has this really cool measuring cup that has liquid measures on one side, dry measures on another, and cups on the other., metric on the other side. I so want one of those measuring cups! I think she bought it in Poland...

I'm not sure what the differences are here. A cup is a cup. Please explain.

I'm not sure what the differences are here. A cup is a cup. Please explain.
That is what I always thought as well. I guess it is a measuring cup that is designed to use instead of weighing ingredients. I'll have to email her and ask her why it has different markings for liquid and dry.

That is what I always thought as well. I guess it is a measuring cup that is designed to use instead of weighing ingredients. I'll have to email her and ask her why it has different markings for liquid and dry.

I'm interested in her answer. Please let me now.

I'm interested in her answer. Please let me now.
I am too. I hadn't thought of her measuring cup for years. But, she would always bring it when we made perogies--insisted on using it because flour and sour cream (the "liquid" ingredient) in the dough didn't measure the same. It is her b'day this week--so she may be on her way to Europe for her annual visit. I've never seen another measuring cup like it.

I too, would make extra gravy. There are some that like lots of gravy and then others want nothing. Better too much than not enough. I should add that there are 7 regulars in our bunch that are 6'4" and above.

If you are serving potatoes and chicken, folks will put gravy on both. And how are you serving the gravy? In a gravy boat or a pitcher. For a gravy boat you will spend the whole time filling them over and over. Serving it in a pitcher, less running back to fill them constantly. But folks will pour more gravy from a pitcher. So you definitely need to make extra. :yum:

A friend who was a caterer told me to always calculate 1.5 and to go with the upward number of guests to accommodate those who take more and the last minute add-ons re: guests. If you were serving beluga caviar that could be a bit expensive, but gravy isn't terribly expensive and it does freeze well. Addie's right--people will but it on both--the chicken and the potatoes. So maybe 2.5 servings is a better gauge.

The gravy though was really tasty end up being a huge fiasco. I forgot to set it on the stove to keep it warm, so by the time dinner came it was cold. We did put a little bit, very little, directly on the hot chicken, but it not the same. Oh well, will use it this week. It just too bad it was not used when I wamted to use it.:(

Back
Top Bottom