Green-colored food - St. Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For proteins, here are a couple of ideas:
1. Dolmas filled with lamb and cucumber
2. Cabbage rolls filled with meatloaf mixture with tomatilla sauce
3. Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
4. Stir-fried chicken with water chestnuts, celery, bok choy, and snow peas, and broccoli, all in a light chicken veloute.

If you want a green vegie tray, include things like stuffed celey with a Green Goddess dressing, green olives (good ones), Green bell pepper slices, green onion, Leafy-green lettuce leaves, etc.

If serving cooked veggies, steam them from fresh to preserve the intense, natural green color.

My Mother's Sea Breeze salad (this stuff is really good, without a son's biased opinion, I've never met anyone who didn't love this stuff.)
Ingredients:
2 boxes lime Jello
1.5 cups hot water
1 cup evaporated milk
3 oz pkg. cream cheese
4 ice cubes
2 tsp lemon juice
1 can crushed pineapple
½ cup walnut pieces
1/8 tsp. salt

Make the jello. Pour it into a blender before it sets. Add the evaporated milk, cream cheese, ice cubes, lemon juice, pineapple, walnut pieces, and salt, all in your blender, or food processor. Make it all smooth. Pour into a pretty jello mold and refrigerate until set. Serve cold.

Hope something here is useful, or inspires you to make something.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Green Tea Ice Cream.
Cream of broccoli puree mixed with whipped potatoes.
Lettuce wraps.
Lime jello mixed into tapioca pudding.

Let the meat age at room temperature long enough, and it will eventually meet the "green" criteria. :LOL:

400_F_26881742_LWWgkQEXVu4pyinaCO7D1tfgHAtKIDIU.jpg

Wow Steve... that's too funny!

Green chili stew, Thai green curry or jungle curry or collard rolls stuffed with jambalaya or dirty rice, in a green tomato sauce. Take some flour tortillas, dip them in a green sauce, then bake them at around 200F to seal the sauce on. It should work without crisping the tortillas, more or less drying the sauce on. I'd saute Mexican fresh chorizo, then put teaspoons of the chorizo on a baking sheet with a silpat, cover each mound with a 1/4 slice of meunster and bake until the cheese melts. Serve right away, letting the guests use torn pieces of "green" tortilla to pick up each individual mound. Great appetizer.

Last edited:
The Luck of the Irish has abandoned me. I've been asked to plan the food for a large gathering with an everything green theme. Green food, green drinks, etc and no food coloring. I have some prep help but there will be about 60 attending and this will be a buffet style service. They will be expecting something special - not your average cabbage rolls and green jello meal.

I dug out a barley risotto recipe that has been nice in the past and a fennel salad but I need so much more and the meat dishes have me totally stumped.

Any ideas?
In the deli the other day there was what looked like some sort of custard-based tart with a think layer of finely chopped pistachio nuts on top. That was green. I'd suggest you buy your pastry cases.

Spinach is often used in sweet dishes.
http://veggiedesserts.co.uk/tag/spinach/

Last edited:
We are doing the traditional corned beef and cabbage. I look forward to March for that reason. I'm not Irish (half Welsh), but I love making up a pot of Corned Beef and Cabbage with onions, carrots and red potatoes. Both my wife and I love it, and her father comes to dinner on Sundays after church, so we are doing our holiday meal today.

I'm also baking Italian ciabatta bread to go with the meal, just for diversity (I'm not Italian either). :chef:

Back
Top Bottom