Ham with Whiskey Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
This is getting kind of embarrassing. A friend asked me to contribute my famous ham with whiskey sauce for an upcoming brunch. I swear, I have never made such a thing, and she insists I did. Hubby and I are puzzling, but hubby and friend both said, "well, you can do it Claire".

I'm thinking I'll order a spiral cut ham, then take whiskey, sugar, honey, or marmalade, a little clove.

Anyone have any ideas on a whiskey sauce to go with ham? I don't want it TOO sweet. It is one thing to be known and loved for the great food you make, but quite another to be known and l loved for something you've never made. I think this is funny. And she will get a ham with whiskey sauce. Which I'm sure won't be as good as the last time I made it (hahahaha!)

Claire, just Googled and there are a ton of recipes on the web. The base is whiskey, sugar, and butter and many add other ingredients.

I am not a fan of booze in food, nothing against alcohol, just don't like the taste in food.

Will cook with wine, and make a mushroom dish with Scotch whisky and cream sherry that I love, but in general pour the hard stuff down the gullet and not into the pan.

Good luck, I'm sure you will make a great sauce.

The ham you can't really practice on since it's such a big piece of meat, but I would definitely practice making the whiskey sauce at least a few times. After all your good name depends on it now. I don't really use whiskey a lot but Jack Daniels is one of the more popular choices that I always see in recipes and on menus so maybe that would be a good choice to start with.

We have a friend visiting who loves Jim Beam, so that is likely to be the whiskey. I'm a big believer in using what I have, so maybe orange marmalade as the sugar. I'm just cracked up because I'm supposedly great at making this and have never made it before!!! I'll call my local grocer and order a spiral-cut-ham if I can.

Thought I'd let you know that the ham turned out perfect. "Just like last time." We've tried to convince her it wasn't me who made it last time!!! I cheated ... the ham came with a glaze mix, and I just added a pinch more clove, zested an orange, and used Jim Beam instead of water. It was a big hit. She still insists I made it a few years ago. If it wasn't for hubby backing me up, I'd wonder if too much of the Jim Beam was in me and I can't remember correctly! If I were to do it again from scratch, I'd consider using Southern Comfort.

Back
Top Bottom