"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Everymom

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving

Wishing all my Canadian friends a wonderful weekend. What is everyone making?

I'm making:

Turkey (of course)
Stuffing (no giblets, just bread, onions, and herbs)
Roasted potatoes, carrots and onions from the garden
Mashed potatoes (for my niece who LOVES them)
Green beans or yellow beans (steamed)
Broccoli Wild Rice Casserole (a staple!)
Pumpkin pie (MIL bringing...ICK!)
Some other dessert

Any suggestions?

I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing too.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

This is a great fall-ish cheesecake and would be a nice change for those who don't like pumpkin (who would that be in your family?!? ). It needs some time to set up in the fridge (overnight), so you'll need to start it before Sunday. I think some apples or pears sauteed in butter and cinnamon-sugar would be a nice garnish.

Toffee Crunch Caramel Cheesecake

Gingersnap crust
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 cups ground gingersnap cookies (about 7 1/4 ounces)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar

Cheesecake
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Caramel topping (if you don't have time to make this, caramel ice cream topping might work)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup heavy whipping cream

4 1.4-ounce English toffee candy bars (such as Heath or Skor), chopped

For gingersnap crust:
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray bottom of 9-inch springform pan with 2 1/2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. Stir ground cookies, butter, and sugar in medium bowl until moist clumps form. Press cookie mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Wrap outside of pan with 3 layers of heavy-duty foil. Bake crust until firm and beginning to darken, about 14 minutes. Cool crust. Maintain oven temperature.

For cheesecake:
Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Beat in butter, then eggs, 1 at a time, until just blended. Beat in vanilla. Pour batter over crust in pan. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake cake uncovered until filling is puffed around edges and moves slightly in center when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove pan from water; remove foil. Place hot cheesecake uncovered in refrigerator overnight.

For caramel topping:
Stir sugar, water, and lemon juice in large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil without stirring until mixture turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush, about 9 minutes. Add cream (mixture will bubble). Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Chill until thickened but still pourable, about 15 minutes.

Spoon caramel over top of cake just to edges (do not allow caramel to drip down sides). Garnish top edges with chopped English toffee. Chill at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.

Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake; release pan sides.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Happy Thanksgiving Alix! I wish it was Thanksgiving here, I can hardly wait!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Happy Thanksgiving, Alix. Hope you and all the Canadian members here have a wonderful holiday.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Happppppy Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful day with family, friends and food~!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

And I always thought a Canadian thanksgiving would be a roasted goose with a side of wild rice and foraged nuts and berries - or a Moose and wild onion stew!

Happy Thanksgiving, Alix!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Cool

I have made goose and Its fantastic but having said that its a lot of work as well. I Like a nice duck for Thanksgiving and christmas but I cant talk any of my family into it this year maybe next year. I might get a small duck and roast it and if they want some fine if not I can eat all the left overs. I Have Moose and Deer as well at thanksgiving and other times but I don't like cooking Moose and I don't like the Taste of Deer. So you are not likely to find either of these items on my table. There are a lot of good things I can make for this holiday but first i Have to talk my family into trying them. LOL I got spoiled my friends used to love most of these things and some would even bring them with them My dad was a chef and my mom learned to try something before she said she would not eat it. So that was easy I moved back to Toronto and live with my Cousin. MY Mom died 1 1/2 years ago so I have to educate my family on the joys of good food.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Barbara
Old 10-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Everymom

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. PA, that cheesecake sounds YUMMY! I will have to see if I can assemble all the ingredients and find the time to prep that for Sunday. If not Sunday, then maybe for coffee on Monday...mmmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
And I always thought a Canadian thanksgiving would be a roasted goose with a side of wild rice and foraged nuts and berries - or a Moose and wild onion stew!

Happy Thanksgiving, Alix!
Smart arse. Thats our usual Sunday dinner around here Michael!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Everymom

www.albertaturkey.com

Just a link for anyone wanting some Thanksgiving tips.