Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Who's coming to dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to my brother's place last night and they are gracious hosts, very kind, generous and fun. I feel kind of guilty saying this but dinner was awful. She goes totally overboard and the plate has way too much going on. Pistachio crusts, raisins in gluten free pumpernickel stuffing with cranberries, raisins, not sure what else. Wine in the gravy, mashed potatos baked with pumpkin seeds and other crunchy things. Lamb with olives and some other crunchy type topping. Enough herbs to choke a horse, squash in some sticky syrup....nothing left to breath or have merit on its own. Collectively, the plate was way over....uhmmm.....overkill.....too many contrasting flavors. It was, and usually is, weird....I admire her zeal, but, just give me some mashed, or turkey gravy that tastes like tradition. Something to hold on to. It was all over the place....

Tomorrow, I am going to do my own for the kids. Plane, like my mother used to make it. Nice, well browned gravy with a bit of savory only. Just butter and cream in the fluffy mashed potatoes, crispy bits of skin on the turkey slices. Steamed green beans and mashed turnip. I guess I am a traditional kind of guy.

Last edited:
I hear ya, Rock. DH's brother and his now ex did the same thing, yuppie frou-frou. Yuck. We couldn't wait to get home and cook some real stuff.

Why mess with perfection? A roast turkey is darned near nirvana IMO. Mmmmmm. Enjoy dinner #2 Rock.

And did I mention some home made, jellied cranberries that were served in a bowl with this useless little ladle that didn't work and almost everybody dropped some on the table cloth before it made it to the plate? lol:huh::huh:

God luv 'er....:angel:

Happy Thanksgiving in the great frozen north!

Enjoy your second dinner, Rock. We went to Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house with an exchange student once. She had roasted the turkey on Tuesday because it was easier to slice cold, the mash, stuffing and gravy were from boxes and packets, and there was no pumpkin pie. My cousin brought pecan pies from the grocery store. My contribution was broccoli and cauliflower in homemade cheese sauce.

I too made a second dinner that weekend. And even though there's often just the two of us, I make a minimum 12-pound turkey. We love leftovers.

The turkey is stuffed and roasting, the pumpkin caramel tart and the chocolate ganache tart are chilling in the fridge. The green bean casserole is prepped and ready to hit the oven, the potatoes are still to be peeled and baked, and the asparagus, peppers and onions will be the last thing to happen. Oh and there is a mimosa salad or a spinach salad to go with. We haven't decided which one to do yet.

Happy turkey day Canada! Remember to wear elastic waistband pants!

Sounds good, Alix! Happy Thanksgiving!:)

Went to my brother's place last night and they are gracious hosts, very kind, generous and fun. I feel kind of guilty saying this but dinner was awful.....
Sorry to hear the food was nowhere near as pleasant at the company. Since I am a believer in keeping holidays pretty traditional, I'll try only one new dish any particular year. If the dish is favorably received I'll make it again, frequently enough over the years that it becomes part of the regular rotation. Rotation because if I fixed EVERY dish we like at EVERY holiday we wouldn't be allowed any additional calories the rest of the year. :ohmy:

Sorry to hear the food was nowhere near as pleasant at the company. Since I am a believer in keeping holidays pretty traditional, I'll try only one new dish any particular year. If the dish is favorably received I'll make it again, frequently enough over the years that it becomes part of the regular rotation. Rotation because if I fixed EVERY dish we like at EVERY holiday we wouldn't be allowed any additional calories the rest of the year. :ohmy:
That sounds like the way to do it.

One year I helped my M-I-L make the turkey. I let it cook on one side, then the other, and finally on its back. My B-I-L complained. The breast wasn't dry enough. :ermm::wacko:

Everyone else liked that the bird was moister than usual.

That is a great idea taxy! As I was reading your post to Himself he started to nod his head in agreement as soon as I said "...cooked on one side...". Even HE knows it would be better that way! :LOL:

Did you all save room for Pie?

Attachments

• pumpkin-pie.jpg
    pumpkin-pie.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 236
Happy Thanksgiving in the great frozen north!

Enjoy your second dinner, Rock. We went to Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house with an exchange student once. She had roasted the turkey on Tuesday because it was easier to slice cold, the mash, stuffing and gravy were from boxes and packets, and there was no pumpkin pie. My cousin brought pecan pies from the grocery store. My contribution was broccoli and cauliflower in homemade cheese sauce.

I too made a second dinner that weekend. And even though there's often just the two of us, I make a minimum 12-pound turkey. We love leftovers.

Sounds like thanksgiving at MIL's house. She roasts the turkey in the morning so that it's stone cold when we got there. All of the vegetables are either out of a can, or stuffing out of a box (even though her son is sensitive to MSG), the gravy out of a jar (again MSG). She didn't season anything or use salt.

After that first year, I would make a full Thanksgiving dinner the weekend after. We have Thanksgiving here now, I do all of the cooking. She hasn't even come in the last few years, which doesn't really bother us anyway!

Great pie!

I think that would be a great project to do with little kids!

A pie with a rafter of various sized turkeys! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Word of the day, RAFTER = A group of domesticated turkeys.

Is that a group of graduating kindergarteners?

Roast turkey, mashed rutabaga-carrot-potatoes, French green beans, beets, Swedish cucumber salad, cranberry salsa, gravy, pumpkin pie, and elderberry-wild grape wine. I'm stuffed (and really glad the dishwasher is doing most of the clean up). Got the carcass roasting in the oven for stock. Made veggie stock while the turkey was roasting, so I'm all "stocked up" for soups.

Roast turkey, mashed rutabaga-carrot-potatoes, French green beans, beets, Swedish cucumber salad, cranberry salsa, gravy, pumpkin pie, and elderberry-wild grape wine. I'm stuffed (and really glad the dishwasher is doing most of the clean up). Got the carcass roasting in the oven for stock. Made veggie stock while the turkey was roasting, so I'm all "stocked up" for soups.

Sounds great CW! I got *burp* full just reading it.

Your cat must trust you.

The back of the chicken stuck to the foil, so those are actually pieces, arranged to look like the whole chicken. :rolleyes:

Ahh, that would account for the white parts.
I thought it was some Danish method you used that gave it a different open kind of look. Now it makes sense!

Back
Top Bottom