Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Who's coming to dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Thanksgiving, Crazy Canuks!

Doing it twice this weekend. Saturday with the siblings and my mother. Traditional turkey and the fixin's. Then Monday, my kids are coming over and we are going to do up a leg of lamb, as we will have had our fill of foul by then...

Just think, if we hadn't been rather preoccupied at the same time with the activities of that nasty little Frenchman and not able to give you our full attention you might be part of the British Empire now. You wouldn't have such nice teeth but your spelling might be better :-D :-D
(runs away to hide before the "special relationship" goes completely down the drain!)

:LOL::ROFLMAO:My nice teeth are in a glass:LOL::ROFLMAO: As for the spelling "uuuuuuuuuuuu" I give them to you so you don't run out. (I think that spanner I wanted is in the boot of the car)

Happy Thanksgiving, Crazy Canuks!

Doing it twice this weekend. Saturday with the siblings and my mother. Traditional turkey and the fixin's. Then Monday, my kids are coming over and we are going to do up a leg of lamb, as we will have had our fill of foul by then...
The fowl at your mum's place is foul?

Runs and hides.

MadCook, why is taxlady sailing too close to the wind? I don't get it either.

Happy Thanksgiving Rock, sounds like you are not going to want to see turkey for a while after this weekend!

MadCook, why is taxlady sailing too close to the wind? I don't get it either.

Happy Thanksgiving Rock, sounds like you are not going to want to see turkey for a while after this weekend!
I don't get that--I roast 8-10 turkeys / year (some with stuffing and all the fixings, other times I just roast the turkey as if it were a chicken). What is it about turkey that makes it an "only on holidays" menu item?

I roast turkey often too. Its not just a holiday meal here. I meant that after having two in a weekend he's going to be a bit sick of it.

Turkey is associated with Thanksgiving because supposedly that's what the pilgrims ate with the locals.
And Thanksgiving being a holiday, I think that that is why a lot of people serve it on holidays or for special occasions.
Plus it's not exactly a throw together meal. Otherwise in the dinner thread you'd be reading about Costco's rotisserie turkey :LOL:

Turkey is associated with Thanksgiving because supposedly that's what the pilgrims ate with the locals.
And Thanksgiving being a holiday, I think that that is why a lot of people serve it on holidays or for special occasions.
Plus it's not exactly a throw together meal. Otherwise in the dinner thread you'd be reading about Costco's rotisserie turkey :LOL:
Ooh, rotisserie turkey. I'd try that.

I don't do a full turkey dinner during the year. I have turkey as a protein a few times but that's it.

To me, Thanksgiving dinner is a big deal. I love preparing it. Having that meal on other occasions during the year would lessen the special status.

....Otherwise in the dinner thread you'd be reading about Costco's rotisserie turkey :LOL:
Ooh, rotisserie turkey. I'd try that.
(At least) Two of the grocery stores by us sell rotisserie turkey breasts. :yum: And those are just the two I frequent. No idea if the other half-dozen or so other chains within a 25-mile radius offer them...and not going to check it out for you either. :-p

I don't do a full turkey dinner during the year. I have turkey as a protein a few times but that's it.

To me, Thanksgiving dinner is a big deal. I love preparing it. Having that meal on other occasions during the year would lessen the special status.
Since I don't have family nearby, holidays are just another day.

A ten to fifteen pound bird is rather large for a family, you wait to cook the whole bird when others are coming to help you with some of it. Even our family of 6 had lots of leftovers.

I may buy a turkey breast around Thanksgiving for the freezer, but I'm with you, The full turkey dinner is a big deal, and something special that I look forward to, making it throughout the year would lessen that for me.

I can totally see why someone would cook turkeys all year, they are delicious and cheap to put in your freezer when bought around thanksgiving.

The fowl at your mum's place is foul?

Runs and hides.
Hee Hee. Actually, it is at my brother's place in Ottawa. I am picking up my mother on the way through. We don't like to all land in on her much anymore. She has a hard time and doesn't know when to stop.
Side note: I would rather eat my mom's turkey than my sister in laws. Good thing GF is the DD. I can help wash it down with copious amounts of bevvies.

Hee Hee. Actually, it is at my brother's place in Ottawa. I am picking up my mother on the way through. We don't like to all land in on her much anymore. She has a hard time and doesn't know when to stop.
Side note: I would rather eat my mom's turkey than my sister in laws. Good thing GF is the DD. I can help wash it down with copious amounts of bevvies.
What is "DD"? D'oh! It's designated driver.

Unfortunately Stirling doesn't know how to drive, so I am always the DD.

The full turkey dinner is a big deal, and something special that I look forward to, making it throughout the year would lessen that for me.

I can totally see why someone would cook turkeys all year, they are delicious and cheap to put in your freezer when bought around thanksgiving.
I don't make all the trimmings when I roast turkey unless it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter. The DH eats an enormous amount (despite his slim build), so there usually isn't that much left--one drumstick, 1/2 of the breast, 1 thigh, and maybe a wing. I use the carcass to make stock and fresh the stock. The leftover meat ends up in sandwiches (1 day) and the rest ends up in a turkey hotdish (casserole to those not in MN) or white chili. It doesn't take long for us to eat a 10-12 lb turkey.

Since I don't have family nearby, holidays are just another day.

Same here. All of our relatives are in Europe with the exception of my younger brother out on Vancouver Island. We're going to have braised short ribs with a red wine sauce and cream cheese mashed potatoes.

It seems like everyone wants that Norman Rockwell turkey. The bigger, the better. That leaves all those 8-10 pound ones behind for my daughter. She has always bought a turkey smaller than needed. No leftovers to bother with and try to find room for in the fridge. Since the family only likes dark meat, it saves the white for sandwiches later that night. But we both make tons of dressing. With cranberry sauce and the white meat, makes for moist and tasty sandwiches. Also those smaller turkeys fit into my freezer better. She never has enough room in hers. :angel:

The turkey is stuffed and roasting, the pumpkin caramel tart and the chocolate ganache tart are chilling in the fridge. The green bean casserole is prepped and ready to hit the oven, the potatoes are still to be peeled and baked, and the asparagus, peppers and onions will be the last thing to happen. Oh and there is a mimosa salad or a spinach salad to go with. We haven't decided which one to do yet.

Happy turkey day Canada! Remember to wear elastic waistband pants!

Back
Top Bottom