"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Has anyone started cooking yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Anytime we get invited to Thanksgiving somewhere else, I cook the whole shebang a day or two later, it wouldn't be thanksgiving to me without leftovers! That and when we would go to his mother's, she'd cook the turkey too early and too long completely unseasoned served cold, most of the veg was canned as was the gravy. Once Rob had a real thanksgiving with some effort put into it, that wouldn't do.

Another fan of cooking leftovers myself. As much as I love my cousin, she and her DH's relatives cannot cook. They're also all vegetarian/gluten-free/paleo/whatever the food fad du jour is. We're lucky to get turkey. They have the most gorgeous kitchen with all the professional equipment that they have no clue how to use.

I bring the dressing, made from real bread. Gluten-free be hanged. I'm also debating whether to bring cranberry sauce and gravy. We have to travel 3 hours, everyone else lives nearby.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
So far I I've made jellied cranberry sauce, cherry vanilla ice cream, oyster shooters and 2 pan's of cranberry,sausage,apple & mushroom stuffing and just pulled creme brulee out of the oven.

You made oyster shooters in advance? With raw oysters?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You made oyster shooters in advance? With raw oysters?
Yes, I freeze them and take them out the night before I eat them.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Every year my mom makes almost our entire Thanksgiving dinner. This year I really want to help her out by making a few dishes on my own (without getting in her way). Does anyone have any easy and tasty recipes or tricks?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
Head Chef

I could be in the minority, but I've learned that it's perfectly find to make a lot of things a day or two before. I'm trying to take it easy, but it's still going to be a lot of work. My mother is in charge of pies and my Mother in Law is making a big popular greenbean/ground burger side dish. I will be doing the Turkey, 2 different kinds of stuffings, rolls, mashed, butternut squash, cranberry sauce and gravy. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Spike got me the apples I need for the pie. Bless his heart. I already told my daughter that I wouldn't be able to do one this year. So it will be a surprise for her and her husband. He is the pie freak in the family. I am still going to make the pumpkin cheesecake with the gingersnap crust also. I might have a very, small (and I do mean small) sliver of the apple pie. I do not like cheesecake. I know, call me un-American. "Oh try just a bite of this one. It is so different." Nope, didn't like that one either. I can't tell you how many times I have spit out a bite of cheesecake.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #27
Cook

Not yet, BUT I haven't gone to the store to buy my foil pans for tranporting. I think I will start tomorrow night, but honestly it all has to do with the weather and how my back & neck are holding up. As long as my 3 items are done by Wednesday I am golden.

I do have to say that GOING to someone's for dinner is a lot easier than making it al yourself!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have 40 hours of work (the real job) to put in before Thursday. Then back to work on Friday. Going to be a rush job on T-Day dinner this year.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have 40 hours of work (the real job) to put in before Thursday. Then back to work on Friday. Going to be a rush job on T-Day dinner this year.
Make a Honey-do list or maybe an Ogre-do list, then sit back relax and bite your tongue!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Make a Honey-do list or maybe an Ogre-do list, then sit back relax and bite your tongue!
I don't know which is the bigger fairy tale...an Ogre-Do list or me relaxing and biting my tongue

Tags
cook, cooking, gravy, turkey