"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

more salads guys

Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have 40 hours of work (the real job) to put in before Thursday. Then back to work on Friday. Going to be a rush job on T-Day dinner this year.
I actually have Thursday and Friday off this year, I can't remember the last time that happened. It sure will be nice after cooking all day Thursday, to have a day to rest. Usually this week starts off with 50 or so pumpkin breads on Sunday, followed by baking every evening after work for other people and cooking right through thursday. I'm taking it easy this year and the only cooking is for us!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Yes, I freeze them and take them out the night before I eat them.
Oh, good - scared me for a minute! ☺
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLookinCookin View Post
Every year my mom makes almost our entire Thanksgiving dinner. This year I really want to help her out by making a few dishes on my own (without getting in her way). Does anyone have any easy and tasty recipes or tricks?
Hi. I'm sure we could come up with quite a few ideas, but it would help if you could narrow it down. What specific types of dishes are you interested in making? Gravy? Rolls? A vegetable? Dessert?

It might be a good idea to start a new thread with this question, so the answers don't get buried here.

Also, have you talked to your mom about this? It would be helpful to coordinate with her what each of you will make. That way, you won't have duplicate items.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLookinCookin View Post
Every year my mom makes almost our entire Thanksgiving dinner. This year I really want to help her out by making a few dishes on my own (without getting in her way). Does anyone have any easy and tasty recipes or tricks?

Ask your mom what you can make to help her out.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I don't know which is the bigger fairy tale...an Ogre-Do list or me relaxing and biting my tongue
You do have a sense of humor.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
RB, if you have fresh thyme, that would be good in the stock, too. Also, you can just use the parsley stems in the stock and save the leaves for another dish. Learned that in culinary school
Thanks for that advice. I always use the stems and a few leaves.
Yes, I have thyme. But its dried.

Is my idea regarding roasting everything first important enough to add that step?
Roasting everything before making the stock.
If it only going to make it marginally better, I will skip the roasting and just brown the meat in the pot before adding the water.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

See for yourself. All that brown stuff = great flavor. It makes a *huge* difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416846958408.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	22265   Click image for larger version

Name:	1416846980993.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22266  

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #39
Head Chef

I am happy to report that, after many years of providing a solid array of meats for upwards of twenty people who come to our house, this year, there are only two coming, and I'm not going to hit a lick until Wednesday afternoon.

We will be having blue cheese lamb burgers on homemade buns. The lettuce will be arugula from the garden. I will keep queso on standby in bags in the sous vide setup and provide chips, salsa and guacamole. Desert will be an easy chiffon pie made with some cranberry/hot pepper sauce I picked up. And if they don't like it, they are more than welcome to lump it.

Next year, it'll probably be back to the grind of figuring out how to top all previous years and host enough people to start a new political party, so I'm going to enjoy this one.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #40
Master Chef

This morning I made my cranberry sauce.

I was not going to bother with them because of the sugar, then a couple of weeks ago I spied a 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries for 99 cents so I bought them and tossed them into the freezer. The idea of the sugar still bothered me so I bought a bag of Splenda with fiber for $5.00, bye-bye bargain!

Skinny cranberries!

1 12 ounce bag of frozen cranberries, washed and picked over.
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of Splenda with fiber.
1/8 t of baking soda
A dash of salt.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes, chill overnight in the refrigerator.

I'm curious to see if the cranberries will jell the way they do when you make them using sugar. The baking soda was added to reduce the need for additional sweetener. The regular recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar or the equivalent amount of artificial sweetener. By adding the baking soda and cutting the sweetener in half I ended up with a nice sweet/tart mixture.

Tags
cook, cooking, gravy, turkey