Has anyone started cooking yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've already made the turkey stock and the turkey neck which will be my meat.

Today I'm making green bean casserole to sit in the fridge overnight, and a big batch of brown rice to freeze, except for what I plan on eating tomorrow.

Cheesecake, and both apple pies are all done and waiting to be eaten. And this is my last year making anything for any holiday. I told the kids I am done. And my daughter and the two boys agree. They see how it take out of me. :angel:

Last edited:
We're bringing eggplant parmesan. My wife started frying the eggplant up 2 weeks ago. We're feeding a lot of people, so thats a lot of eggplant that needed to be fried up. She did it in 4 batches on 4 different days, freezing them. Today, she will assemble the whole thing when she gets up and cook it here. we're going to my brothers , and Im sure the oven will be occupied with the turkey, so we have to cook it last minute here, so it is still warm by the time we get there, and maybe throw it in lats minute to melt the cheese on top.

Began our cooking yesterday but that's only because we're going to Glenn's daughter's home and bringing cornbread dressing and pumpkin cheesecake.

Made the cornbread for the dressing yesterday and assembled the dressing in the crock-pot. It's delicious and easy to bring to someone's home, especially if their oven is already doing overtime. Did the cheesecake, too, and it's chilled nicely in the refrigerator.

The only things I made for our holiday meal were some potato rolls and a batch of stock using turkey necks. Also dried a loaf of bread in the dehydrator for stuffing.

Glenn and I won't have our "big" meal until Sunday so there's no pressure to get a lot done. All that is really left to do is brine, stuff and roast the turkey. Everything else either is taken care of, will take care of itself or we won't miss it.

The bird is in the oven, Brussels sprouts on the stalk.

img_1399975_0_5aaf64f801b30cfb0ab8b9b074d93519.jpg

Last edited:
My wife put the Salvadoran turkey into the oven a few minutes ago. I'm putting my American turkey into the smoker in about an hour. The American bird is spatchcocked so it'll cook faster.

lol, roadfix - we ate three hours ago and are on our way home with plenty of leftovers! Don'tcha love this big ol' country of ours?! Enjoy! :)

I didn't start anything until 9:00 am this morning. First up, baked 2 big yams, (I'm the only one that eats them). They were semi mashed with butter, a small amount of brown sugar and some brandy and popped in the oven after the bird came out. When I have a big group the yams get the star treatment with a BR. Sugar pecan, butter crumble around the edges of the dish. ;). Made a pumpkin pie after that and prepped my dressing, also started a batch of dinner roll dough in the bread machine(short cut). ;). DH decided we only needed a turkey breast, but I like dark meat, and more fond for the gravy,so I augmented the 6lb breast with a wing and a thigh. Got that into the oven about noon (stuffed as best I could, kind of hard to do with just the breast) :). Prepped my potatoes, I decided not to peel the yellow potatoes which worked out fine. Cleaned and sliced the Brussels sprouts, and got them into the skillet with melted butter. Made a green salad, which in the end we would not eat. ;)
We have some Canadian friends who were on their way to Seattle to fly out to Florida tomorrow for a cruise, so we talked them into stopping to eat with us. I wasn't sure what Brussels sprouts camp they were in so I opened a can of corn and heated that. Cooked the taters and mashed them, sautéd the sprouts, baked the buns/rolls and made the gravy. That was dinner along with the requisite pickles, olives and DH's homemade cranberry sauce. YUM! This post may be a little disjointed (like our turkey) as I started it while we were waiting for the turkey to finish cooking around 3 PM PST at that point in time we thought our company had decided to go straight to Seattle, but they phoned in the middle of this post and said they were at the border, so I left the post unfinished and went into high gear getting all the sides cooking, the table set and the gravy made. We managed to eat by about 4:00pm. Everything was delicious. Hope all of you who were celebrating had a lovely meal. ;)

Hey I just realized I am rivaling the Chief for long wind here! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Nope!

I finally broke down and bought a frozen turkey, I just can't resist the deals once the turkey wars start!

I will take it out of the freezer tomorrow morning so it can thaw slowly in the refrigerator. The cooking/prep work will start on Wednesday, with cranberry sauce, a batch of mayonnaise and a couple of other small jobs.

I bought a can of Fosters beer, I want to see if I can roast my turkey on a beer can this year. I'm not sure if my little turkey will be too tall for my oven. If it is I can always go to plan B, sometimes it seems like my whole life has been plan Bea! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The oven roasted beer can turkey worked great!

The turkey got a nice all over tan. It was sort of scary taking it out of the oven because the Foster's "oil can" has a narrow base that made the whole thing a little unstable. Now I have three beer cans stashed in the cupboard for various sized birds, people will think I have a drinking problem! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The oven roasted beer can turkey worked great!

The turkey got a nice all over tan. It was sort of scary taking it out of the oven because the Foster's "oil can" has a narrow base that made the whole thing a little unstable. Now I have three beer cans stashed in the cupboard for various sized birds, people will think I have a drinking problem! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Don't them them it's for your chickens or they will KNOW you have a drinking problem.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom