"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have just sat down for the first time since 5:30 this morning. I made 4 loaves of Italian bread and put the old fashioned ham in the electric roaster, then I cooked 1-1/2# of old fashioned bacon coated with pepper and flour, made a batch of pancake batter and got the latkes ready for our brunch with the kids. Eldest daughter got engaged this morning (her fiance asked me for her hand last night...ain't that too cute?) so she's beaming today as is DW. He's 40 and she's 29, but he still felt the need to ask for my blessing, then we ate our brunch and left no prisoners on the table, only dirty dishes. Cleaned up that mess then we opened our presents and it was back to the kitchen. Cut and bagged all 4 loaves of bread, and cut up the 18# ham and got it in the oven on low to stay warm. We have about an hour until the rest of the family gets here for the next phase of the food fest and wrapping paper, so I need to get a shower and shave so I look presentable for the family pictures.

I hope everyone else is having a joyous and peaceful day.

Joe

Old 12-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Master Chef

Turkey is in the oven, sweet potatoes boiling up. Time to start getting the rest of the stuff going.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

We're taking it easy today. I made two 8x8 pans of lasagna for DH's birthday in November and froze one, so we're having that with salad and garlic bread for dinner tonight.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

I got up at 5:30 today to finish getting my Christmas dinner ready. We had spiral sliced ham (I made an orange marmalade glaze for it), macaroni and cheese, potato salad, homemade parkerhouse rolls, green beans, veggies and dip and summer sausages and cheese/crackers. On top of that I made oreo truffles, peppermint truffles, oatmeal carmelitas, fudge and sugar cookies yesterday. Lunch was at 1:00 pm and the guests left at 5:00 pm.

I am BEAT. Going to fix myself an adult beverage and relax.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

DONE DONE DONE!! LOL all done and eating now. Turkey with Cajun rub and Cranberry sauce with lemon zest and a hint of rum as a 'sauce on the side'; creamed corn with oysters casserole; sweet potato casserole; green beans sauted with cranberries, almonds, garlic, and butter; collared greens with garlic, lemon zest, and a hint of smoke flavoring; corn bread made with creamed corn.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

Mav, that sounds good!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks! It was a big hit here, even the kids were impressed and I got a big ol kiss (or two or three) from the wife! Now I can just sit back and pig out and enjoy it all!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I've been cooking for the last week because of the holidays. Today I've just bought some ready to eat fresh salad. As a part of my new year resolution I'll try to follow a very strict diet. :-)