Heading off camping/canoeing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I'm heading a few hundred miles to meet with some friends for a few days camping and canoeing. I plan to eat well, but to not cook a lot while there.
I have decided to pre-cook and freeze stuff.

Breakfasts--Sausage gravy and biscuits. I make GREAT sausage gravy. I am taking enough to share with my campsite mates. I should have enough for all 4 days.

Lunches--on the water, Uncrustables from Smuckers. Great pre-made and SEALED peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... Just grab them and go.

Dinners
Home made steak chili(making it and freezing it)
Flatiron Steak for one night with baked potato.
Pork loin with vegetables in red pepper sauce.(excellent foil meal, I am doing 9lbs of meat! so I will share).
Left over chili/pork or if needed something from a can.

I am also taking some angel food cake, condensed milk and coconut to cook over the fire..... Toasted coconut cake.... yummy..

Everything can be cooked/reheated with a minimum of fuss which is good since we will be coming in off the water every day.

Sounds like a great time and some great food. How are you keeping all the meat cold?

Sounds like a great time and some great food. How are you keeping all the meat cold?
I pre-freeze and use a 5 day cooler. I will actually have to put the pork loin near the top of the cooler for it to thaw in time to cook.

Jeff, you have a great idea for camping in freezing as much as possible. Then the first item thawed is what you eat that day. My camping days are over, I think (I try to never say never or always), but have done it quite a bit in my life. I like to double-sealed-baggie the frozen meals (even if you're making a foil package, put it in a sealed baggie). That way nothing gets water-logged as they thaw. Then I put stew-type meals at the bottom of the cooler, plain meats above that, then regular cold items in and around.

When I was a kid, Mom took the cheapest pots and pans that she hated on camping trips. I still believe one of the best camping meals is breakfast, and I am NOT a breakfast person. But somehow bacon or sausage cooked over the flame, then eggs scrambled in the drippings just means camping to me.

With the weather we are having - camping here would not need frozen meat - it probably wouldn't defrost.

I hope it is warmer for you Jeff.

Mmmm! i just love the smell and taste of bacon and eggs cooked over an open camp fire. Have a safe trip and a good time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom