Help me I need ideas for my family Xmas meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcduff1979

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

This year I am cooking for 18 people, I'm doing roast pork, roast beef, roast gammon and a roast turkey crown.

I have no problems cooking these...

however this year I have more kids here than just my 2 who will eat anything, so my question is does anyone have any ideas to brighten up the veg side of the dinner which I know need a bit of help this year.

I want to do carrots, sweet potato, roast potatoes, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, sweetcorn.

the only recipe I have under control is the red cabbage recipe so that's sorted.

regards

tom

Seems like far too many things to keep track of to me. I've had holiday dinners for as many as 16 people. My philosophy is to try to keep things simple. One or possibly two meats at most. A couple of sides.

I also usually enlist people to help. Have a few people bring sides, someone else bring dessert, etc. Why do all the work yourself?

Well kids are as picky as their parents let them be. Brussels sprouts, most kids like roasted Brussels sprout with bacon. Carrots you can just slice them in coins and cook and toss in butter or oven roast them. Baked cauliflower is lovely, there is many ways of doing that. Roastie, what kids doesnt like roasties? I cut cut the potatoes in fours or eights and get them smaller , this way more roasted crust and easier for small kids to eat.

No chipolatas or yorkies?

I thought pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings went without saying, of course there on the menu.

I have a family of picky eaters hence the multiple roasts, some eat some I eat the rest :pig:

I know you have a long extensive menu planned. But What kid doesn't like mac and cheese? You can add peas and corn to it. It is an easy way to get some veggie into them. And if you are planning stuffing for that turkey, don't forget to add finely diced onions and celery. Not only for flavor, but a way of getting two more veggies into the kids.

BTW, make sure you provide kids with smaller plates than the adults. Folks tend to want to fill a holiday plate to the edges. Way too much food for any child. They can always come back for seconds. And do remind the adults, the mac and cheese is for the kiddies only. So there should be mac and cheese, stuffing and some kind of meat on their plate. More than enough food for any small child. They have protein, starch and nutritional veggies on their plate.

But pigs in blankets isnt that sausages wrapped in dough , while chipolatas in sausage wrapped in bacon?

I know you have a long extensive menu planned. But What kid doesn't like mac and cheese? You can add peas and corn to it. It is an easy way to get some veggie into them. And if you are planning stuffing for that turkey, don't forget to add finely diced onions and celery. Not only for flavor, but a way of getting two more veggies into the kids.

BTW, make sure you provide kids with smaller plates than the adults. Folks tend to want to fill a holiday plate to the edges. Way too much food for any child. They can always come back for seconds. And do remind the adults, the mac and cheese is for the kiddies only. So there should be mac and cheese, stuffing and some kind of meat on their plate. More than enough food for any small child. They have protein, starch and nutritional veggies on their plate.

unfortunately, mac and cheese is completely against my regime of over eating on xmas day, and I don't consider it a xmas meal, even for the kids

mcduff1979: Well by my Scottish part of the family pigs in blanket i with dough and chipolatas bacon. Can it get more confusing?

I agree with you that mac& cheese isnt a christmas dish at all. What about some form of gratin?

Last edited:
sausage roll is sausage in pastry and pigs in blankets was sausages in bacon, even asked the wife she says same, and rang my mum to check also... very confusing.

not 100% sure what a gratin is

Mcduff1979: I have learn to just roll with it. I nod and smile and just eat. Sausage rolls dont look like pigs either. I actually do great sausage rolls.

Anyway Classic potato gratin, it potato bake, but here in Sweden we make them with other veggies, like turnip, broccoli, carrots.

Mcduff1979: I have learn to just roll with it. I nod and smile and just eat. Sausage rolls dont look like pigs either. I actually do great sausage rolls.

you have perked my interest when you said home made sausage rolls, have a recipe handy?

sausage roll is sausage in pastry and pigs in blankets was sausages in bacon, even asked the wife she says same, and rang my mum to check also... very confusing.

not 100% sure what a gratin is

Think scalloped potatoes. If you make homemade sausage rolls, you have to start with homemade sausage.;):yum:

No for sausage rolls, you dont need sausage, just a good flavourful mince. Since I have Dutch friends I make them both flaky crust ( puff pastry) and soft fluffy bread dough, because then people cant whine.

I go and find the recipe and post later.

This vegetable recipe has been a staple on my Thanksgiving table for many years now. I ripped it off from Sara Moulton and modified it to fit my family's tastes.

Sufferin’ Succotash​

Ingredients:

• ¼ lb sliced bacon
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 16oz package frozen corn, thawed
  • 10oz package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
  • 1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until it is really crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels, leaving the fat in the skillet.
Add the onion to the skillet and sauté it over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it is softened. Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté the mixture 1 minute more. Stir in the corn, lima beans, jalapeno, and tomatoes and sauté them until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the vinegar and basil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the succotash to a serving bowl and crumble the bacon over the top.

And if you are planning stuffing for that turkey, don't forget to add finely diced onions and celery. Not only for flavor, but a way of getting two more veggies into the kids.

Celery has no nutritional value and I will tell you the same thing I keep telling Panda Express: Onions are a condiment, not a vegetable!

But pigs in blankets isnt that sausages wrapped in dough , while chipolatas in sausage wrapped in bacon?

In my neighborhood, pigs in a blanket was ground beef, rice and sauce wrapped up in a cabbage leaf.

2992bd05d8eb14d9_golumpki.jpg

...I want to do carrots, sweet potato, roast potatoes, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, sweetcorn...
Welcome, tom! I have a stand-by Brussels sprouts recipe that never fails. Plus, it tastes even better the day after it's made, so you could do this one or two days before the dinner.

Clean and slice mushrooms. Set aside. Cut sprouts in half, then boil/steam until they just barely start becoming tender; drain. While they're cooking, fry up bacon pieces to render the grease, then remove cooked bacon pieces from the pan and set aside for later. Saute the mushrooms in the bacon grease. When nicely golden-brown, add the semi-cooked Brussels sprouts and sear to get a bit of browning on the cut side. Add in crumpled dried tarragon and garlic powder. When sprouts are almost done, toss in the reserved bacon and stir. If you're making ahead, remove from stove and pour into casserole dish.

IF there is any left, it makes a wonderful breakfast the next day. :whistling:

Good luck with your Christmas dinner!

unfortunately, mac and cheese is completely against my regime of over eating on xmas day, and I don't consider it a xmas meal, even for the kids

With the amount of food you already have planned overeating seems like an inevitability.

Mac and cheese. Seemed like an excellent solution to your dilemma.

Back
Top Bottom