HELP!!! Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schae248

Assistant Cook
I'm in a panic, I have a group dinner to cook in three days. I was originally expecting 5-8 people, which I can handle easily. However, now I am expecting 15-20. I originally had all day to prepare for a menu consisting of easy to eat but filling foods, but now I have no idea what to put on the menu, as I am constrained in a few areas.

First is time. I work in the afternoon, leaving me the morning and a couple hours prior to the party to get everything ready.

Second, I am in college, which leaves me on a tighter budget, and without fancier appliances such as a food processor. Pots, pans, crock-pots, and casserole dishes are items I do have.

Third is the need for both vegetarian and meat dishes. I and a few friends are veg, while everyone else is non-veg.

I am a beginner-intermediate skill-wise, and am adept at substitutions. I really appreciate peoples' help and any suggestions.

you could do a crock pot pulled pork as far as a meat dish goes. a 6 or 7 lb. boston butt will feed 10 people, easily. maybe more.

season the meat the night before, pop in the crock pot before you leave for work and it'll be ready in 4 hours on high, or 7 hours on low.

We recently went to a pool party that was simple but very good and very filling. The main feature was a baked potato bar, with sour cream, butter, and all the fixings. There was also a large bowl of salad surrounded by dressings and a variety of salad toppings. The only meat (other than some bacon bits and chopped up deli meats for the salads) was chicken tenders. I was so full I didn't even really look at the desserts, but there were brownies, fresh fruit, and ice cream. There were about 40 of us there, and it went very smoothly. Fifteen to 20 should be a cinch!

Otherwise you could make chili, spaghetti, lasagna, or something else that could be done in slow cookers or casseroles. Or deli sandwiches. You could just put the breads, meats, cheeses, and condiments out and everyone could make their own. Maybe have a pot of soup to go along with them, some fruit, salad, etc.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom