Help with cookout ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
We are having a cookout in the pasture on Saturday for about 50 people. We are doing hot dogs and hamburgers and several people are bringing sides to go with everything. I'm afraid I'm going to forget something since I'm already torn between preparing for Thanksgiving and this cookout. We leave on Monday going to the farm, but I want the cookout to be as good as possible. If anyone has any ideas on something I may forget, please post. We are decorating with haybales and lanterns and will have a bonfire if the weather is cool enough. I would feel better if the two events weren't so close to each other, but I can't help that.

Hi licia. I'm guessing you're looking for dishes, rather than a checklist?

Here's a favorite - Check out the Brat Hot Tub:

http://www.johnsonville.com/siteconf.nsf/Lkp/index-l0-home.html

What side dishes are people bringing? First things that come to mind:

Brats
ribs
wings
Potato salad
macaroni salad
Big green salads
Cole Slaw
Carrot Raisin Salad (think I posted a recipe in the sald section)
Dips (Guacamole, etc.) and chips
Watermelon is good for a crowd (I have a cool appy, if you like)
Pineapple
Fruit salad - I like Ambrosia
Corn on the cob
baked beans
Dessert - Big bowls of trifle
Beverages - Sangria/beer/soda
Ice Cream (and pound cake)
Sauerkraut. buns. ketchup. mustard, relish

Here are some ideas for cooking for a crowd:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/crowd/crowd.html

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/cookcrowd/index-5a.html

I'll look thru my recipes and see what looks intereting.:)

Last edited:
They are bringing salads, desserts, veggies, etc. I only furnish the place, the cooking set up, tables, coffee and accompaniments. I suppose I was too stressed over Thanksgiving to have these so close, but the date was settled months ago before the pressure took over and before I knew we would be having 25 or more at the farm. It is more than I like to undertake preparing for two events so close. We leave Monday going to the farm and I have to take most of the stuff with me for Thanksgiving. I suppose I'm afraid I will forget something important for both occasions. I'm taking the advice from another thread on packing and doing that as I go. I may faint when it is all over. Lately I seem to go from one mini-crisis to another.

:)I always like to have fruit and veggie trays.
Lots of different breads and dips.

I also like to set up a lower table
where the kids can help themselves and
Mom and dad don't have to jump up every
few minutes to get something else for them.:)

Not to worry, licia. Sounds like you have everything under control - and folks are bringing dishes. I would enjoy the sunny weather, relax, pack light - you can always pick up last-minute items when you arrive...and pack some cute outfits and shorts...are we lucky to be in a great climate or what. Make a list what you might need - i.e. paper plates/cups, charcoal, plastic utensils - just the basics. Everyone will have fun at a barbeque - it doesn't have to be fussy. Turn on the music, have a few libations ...Most of all have fun, relax and enjoy your day. :)

Back
Top Bottom