Help with strata!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debimangi

Assistant Cook
I need to make several b'fast strata's. You know the kind. where you have old bread & you layer it with milk, eggs, cheese, sausage. It sits overnight & then you bake it the next day.
Well, my questions is: can I make these about 5 days ahead of time & then freeze them before cooking them. Let them thaw out & then bake them the day I would be serving them? would this somehow separate the eggs, or somehow make the strat not taste so well or have a funny consistency.
I would SO appreciate an answer as i have this coming up this week for a b'fast after a wedding & i'm feeling a bit desperate!

help me out:LOL:

It doesn't sound like it would be a good idea to freeze that sort of thing. Maybe if you at least have the cheese and sausage prepped 5 days ahead of time so you can just throw it together a day or two before the bake day.

Or, why not freeze a mini one now, thaw it, then bake it and see what happens. I hope it works out.

thanks calya... my 2nd option was to get all the ingredients prepped so that I could 'throw' it together the day of. but i hadn't thot of making a small one ahead of time. i could try that one today. thanks

you can put them together the night before, they work better if they soak awhile....
but I dunno about 5 days!!

I wager you could cut and freeze the bread cubes beforehand, and cooked sausage as well. Besides grating cheese, those are probably the most time consuming parts. ANd the cheese you could probably grate/cube/w/e a few days ahead of time, as well as chopping onion or the like if that's going in. Other than that, what, mix milk and eggs and pour it over?

Back
Top Bottom