Hi, need menu help and ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I am planning this event, branch after wedding, but it will be late in the day ;) . The bride to be requested to make it dairy.

She wants penne a la vodka, that’s fine,
I’m thinking onion soup
and maybe lasagna,

but what else. I am open for suggestions and revision of what I already have, except the bridal request. I am talking about 50-60 people :ohmy:.

Dairy or vegetarian dishes only, please. :chef:

Well... gotta have lots of garlic bread to go with all the above mentioned foods

Spinach salad... I'm a huge fan of the one Jkath posted on here. It has a wonderful orange dressing.

Oh, yeah, salad, I do not like vegies, and never think about that, that's bad. But spinach salad with some cheese and nice dressing might be a good idea.

What else? Keep it coming.

what about a platter of either roasted veggies or grilled veggies?

The root veggies which are some what in season now roast very well.

maybe some spinach ricotta cakes

I make a Mushroom Bolognese sauce that would be a good base for lasagna, maybe with layers of Parmesan or Ricotta, sauce and bechamel. I use soy milk and tofu (instead of ricotta), but you wouldn't have those restrictions. Cabbage would be a good cooked vegetable. It can simmer in a pot forever--and be kept warm until needed. Cold rice salad could me made ahead too.

Sounds fun, good luck =)

Make cream of onion soup, spanakopita is always a favorite. Eggplant parmigiana, Braised leeks, tomato and feta cheese salad with black olives with a greek olive oil dressing.

Here is the salad I was talking about Charlie

p

Make Dressing first, as it needs to chill:
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1 c. granulated sugar
Microwave 2+ minutes on high till boiling
Stir, and add:
1/2 c. oil
Juice of 1 large navel orange
Store in bottle; You'll need to give the bottle a good shake right before serving.

In large bowl, mix:

1 prepackaged baby spinach
1 can (drained) mandarin oranges
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Add:
1 packaged (I used Louis Rich) honey roasted chicken (not slices!), cut up
Stir genty

Put into glass bowl (really looks pretty), and top with:
1 package fresh raspberries
prepackaged candied pecans (just enough to look right)

Just before serving, drizzle with orange dressing

What about a vegetarian version of Italian Wedding Soup instead of the onion?

hM, iTALIAN WEDDING SOUP, THAT MIGHT BE INTEESTING, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THE GROOM DUDE SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN iTALY FOR WORK.

Oops, sorry about the caps.

Some other ideas....fresh fruit salad, curried couscous, waldorf salad, tabouli, mousaka, cheese & mushroom tortellini caesar salad, quiche, assortment of breads (pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, banana) with flavored butters, lentil salad.

Persian Spinach

8 ounces cream Cheese room temperature
1 10 ounce pkg of frozen Spinach rung dry
1/2stick of Butter
1/2 Tbl of Fenugreek seed ground
1/4 tsp of red Chili flakes
1/2 Tbl Turmeric
1 tsp Cumin seed
2 Tbl of Parmesan cheese

Melt butter add spices saute for 3-5 minutes till you can smell the spices. Add Spinach and cook till hot through add Cream cheese and stir till well-blended salt and Pepper to taste and put in a casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. butter or non stick spray { Pam } casserole dish
Bake @ 350* for thirty minutes or until heated serves 2- as Dinner or 6 as 1st course I made this for some vegetarians and it was a winner Just last week it can be doubeled tripled till you get what servings you need

Anni, Do you have a vegetarian recipe for the soup?

No, I don't. What I was thinking was that you could use vegetable stock instead of the chicken/meat stock and vegetarian meatballs (I've seen them frozen) for the meatballs.

I've never tried store bought 'meat'balls, but I would be concerned that they may fall apart. Binding is often a problem with fake meat products. So, if you buy them, I would definitely do a test batch, especially for a wedding. Another option would be to use Italian 'Sausage.' If you can get Field Roast in your area (probably a specialty store), they make a very good Italian Sausage. I think Tofurkey is OK at best.

If you felt adventurous, and wanted to make your own, I think both of these would hold up well in soup (a little less sure about the meatballs)

Tempeh Meatballs
Seitan Italian Sausage

I've never tried store bought 'meat'balls, but I would be concerned that they may fall apart. Binding is often a problem with fake meat products. So, if you buy them, I would definitely do a test batch, especially for a wedding. Another option would be to use Italian 'Sausage.' If you can get Field Roast in your area (probably a specialty store), they make a very good Italian Sausage. I think Tofurkey is OK at best.

If you felt adventurous, and wanted to make your own, I think both of these would hold up well in soup (a little less sure about the meatballs)

Tempeh Meatballs
Seitan Italian Sausage

Good ideas. I'm not a vegetarian so the only "veggie" meat I've tasted are Boca Burgers. LOL!

Would a firm tofu cubed up work?

I am far from vegetarian, and I doubt i would as much as touch one of those fake things. I actually have read some recipes for that soup on line and it really looks like meat balls really is a main ingridient. So I think it's out of the question. so I'm back to onin soup or maybe minestrone.

Back
Top Bottom