"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Ho-Ho-Ho Christmas plans

Not Christmas, but post-Christmas. We are hosting an open-house smorgasbord. To do this right, we have to go around the table 5 times...

The first round is the strong fish table (herring, smoked fish). So I have that covered. The next round is lobster/shrimp, gravlax, potato-beet-herring salad, cucumber salad, tomato aspic, etc., the third round is cold cuts, cheese, etc. The fourth round is the hot table. My friend who is a vegetarian is bringing vegetarian meatballs, we will have Janssen's Temptation, vegetarian cabbage rolls, and all the other fixings. The final round around the table is the dessert table with the 7 cookies.

Beverages are when people arrive they will get a cup of glogg. I'm doing the food--people have to bring their own beverages if they want something besides tea or coffee. I can't afford to feed people and provide booze. What are you doing for Christmas?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
Master Chef

Nothing that ambitious, CW! Sounds like a wonderful time, but just reading about it (and knowing how much work you'll be putting into it) tuckered me out.

Weather permitting, we'll be back home in OH to spend the holidays with our kids. Our daughter knows we'll show up sometime around the 20th or so. We'll probably reprise Christmas Eve Mass at the area cathedral. We all enjoyed that last year, including seeing "Santa" at the service!

On Christmas Day, IF Loverly's friend's sister is hosting a family dinner, we'll be invited. If not, I'll be cooking dinner for at least the four of us, stragglers welcomed to join. I'll make what I used to make at home: eye of round roast, sauteed mushrooms with bread crumbs and lemon (tastes better than it sounds), two or three veggies, and mashed potatoes with copious amounts of gravy. Have to have potatoes and gravy per our daughter. We'll comply, since we're staying there.

The celebrating will continue on to their birthday on the 29th. Last year we went to a nice sushi place that is run by a friend of our son. New Year's is undecided, but sometime after that we'll be headed back to MA.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We'll be going to my best friend's house in SC where my mom is staying. They are planning a prime rib dinner. I'll be making a couple of coconut cream pies (a must have for that family) and some assorted cookies. Looking forward to it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Wine Guy

We don't celebrate Christmas per se, but we will be having a family gathering at our house. So far, I know the main course will be a standing Rib Roast, but that's about all I know at this time.

Oh, and there will be lots of wine. I'm bottling 22 gallons of Pinot Noir tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Cupcake

Family, friends, and sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Family, friends, and sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.
I know what you mean. One year I told my sister I was going to my daughter's house. And I told my daughter I was going to my sister's house. And I had a nice peaceful day. Tried it again the next year and almost got away with it again. Except my sister called my daughter. The jig was up.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Mr. K~Couple and I will be spending our time quietly at home this year for a change.
No traveling, no big parties, simple is the key word here.
We'll have some Honey Baked Ham, potatoes of some
sort or another and a veg.
NO, I said NOOOO Seven Fishes this year, thank goodness!
His family insists upon making this and we are both allergic
to most of what they make, but that doesn't matter
in a house full of Italians
(there's 25 of us now and that doesn't include my relatives), HA!
My SIL would usually make a pizza for the two of us,
Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

This is the first year since 2002 that we're hosting, but not on Christmas. That will just be a quiet evening. We might make a turkey, or not. I might pull the crown lamb roast out of the freezer...or not. I would prefer to spend Christmas at the farm, but that depends on weather. I don't want to get snowed in there and if we have beastly cold weather, I don't trust that the heater for the girls' water will actually keep the water from freezing.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
....and if we have beastly cold weather, I don't trust that the heater for the girls' water will actually keep the water from freezing.
It won't freeze if you put a little brandy in it. Might as well let the girls have a little fun in the coop.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

Steve...!

I posted on another thread about Christmas dinner, but will post here too because they seem to be intermingling. I have a small family here, and some need to attend other in-law family gatherings during the day. I usually roast a ham the day before and set that out along with some buffet goodies late Christmas morning. Whatever family members want to come by at whatever time, works well for us. Often it's kind of a revolving door throughout the day.

Tags
christmas