"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

Holiday Food Gifts

Does anyone here have any clever ideas for holiday food gifts? Recipes or packaging ideas would be great. I need something nice but not too expensive for neighbors and friends. Last year, I gave Ghiradelli Cocoa and half-pints of Peppermint Schnapps.
The only thing I have planned so far are 8x8 pans of microwave fudge. I found some disposable aluminum pans with a holiday design and see-through plastic lids. Any ideas for something(s) to compliment that?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I made a whole bunch of things you could invididually wrap and then box for people.
I made Truffles, Peanut Butter Balls, and Macaroons. Check out my baking thread for recipes if you want them.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Everymom

Constance, I put the dry ingredients for brownies in a nice jar and put a ribbon on it with the instructions on a card. I usually title it "Emergency Chocolate rations" or something like that. Don't know if thats a help to you or not.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

What about a nice candy dish for them to serve it from? I'm sure you can find candy dishes for a price comparable to the schnapps, yes?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Vera, great idea! Maybe a small decorative spreader to cut the fudge with?

Some years I give homemade irish cream, some years candy, like peanut butter bon bons. This year will be peanut brittle or turtles.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I googled 'Mix in a Jar' and got pages of sites. Here are the 1st 2 that came up.

gifts in a jar recipes | mixes in a jar recipes | jar gifts

christmas recipes in a jar, mix in a jar recipes | printable gift tags and recipe cards - this one has gift tags to print out.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Sous Chef

a bottle of homemade Kahlua would be nice -

* Exported from MasterCook *
KAHLUA

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup Instant Yuban coffee (I've also used Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso with great results)
3 cups Vodka
1/2 Vanilla bean -- split lengthwise

In a large sauce pan, stir together the sugars and the water; bring to a boil & boil for 5 min.

Take off stove & stir in the instant coffee.

While the sugar mixture is boiling, pour the vodka in a large container & add the split vanilla bean.

Pour sugar mixture into the vodka & quickly cover with lid. Try to wait at least one week.

Yield:
"5 cups"

NOTES : Kahlua is best made a couple of weeks ahead of time -- but, people have been known to cool it off with ice cubes!!

and if the gift receiver has a sense of humor, you might add this drink idea for the Kahlua -

Smith & Wesson
Serving Size : 1

1/2 ounce Kahlúa
1/2 ounce Vodka
Cola
Cream

In a cocktail glass combine kahlua and vodka and serve. Top off with cola and cream.

NOTES : Best kind of glass for this drink: Cocktail.

-------

This was published in the Baltimore paper a couple years ago and it's wonderful!!

Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf

3 1/3 cups flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. each: cinnamon -- nutmeg
4 eggs -- lightly beaten
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate -- melted
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar -- sifted
4 Tbsps. cold water -- (4 to 6)
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate -- melted
2 tsps. hot water -- (2 to 4)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and water in a medium bowl. Stir into the flour mixture; mix just until blended. Fold in the nuts.

2. Transfer 2 cups of the batter to a small bowl, stir in the melted chocolate. Spoon half of the remaining plain batter into the two greased and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; spoon half the chocolate batter over the top of each pan. Spoon remaining plain batter evenly over the chocolate batter in each pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.

3. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and cold water in a small bowl until the right drizzling consistency. Transfer half of the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in chocolate and enough of the hot water to make the right consistency for drizzling. Drizzle white and chocolate glazes in a zigzag pattern on each loaf.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Master Chef

Thank you! You all are full of good ideas!

Actually, my husband has been talking about making some Kahlua lately. I'm going to show him your recipe, cjs...It's basically the same, but he doesn't use the good coffee, and uses bottled Vanilla instead of the bean.

We won't be giving booze to everyone, though. I like the idea of the candy dish, Vera. I'm also going to check out those jarred mixes. And Gobo, your peanut butter balls sound great!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

I made lots of cookies and then went to Costco and bought some cute tins to put them in.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Here's what I have ready so far:

3 baskets each with a bag of French Market Soup mix (an assortment of about 12 different dried beans and barley), a loaf of batter bread. Each bag of soup is wrapped in a new dishtowel that has a wooden spoon tied into the bow. The recipes will be tied with a ribbon and included.

1 bag with a bag of homemade hot chocolate mix, a Christmas mug and an assortment of homemade chocolate-covered spoons (some just chocolate, some with crushed peppermint sprinkled on and some with multi-colored cookie sprinkles on). Recipes included.

This morning I made about 6 dozen doggie biscuits (with a bone-shaped cutter). The doggie biscuits will go to one of our sons who has two dogs and to a friend who has a dog.

I just finished making about a pound of noodles, which will go to the friend with the dog. I haven't decided on what other things I'll put in his basket.

I'll bake a couple loaves of plain loaf bread and some English muffins to go with the baguettes I made this afternoon. Buck's mother has asked for an assortment of breads for Christmas, so she'll get some of each.

I still have my postmaster and two more friends to make goodies for, but I still have about a week because they're just down the street. The things I've already made either have to be shipped or delivered this week.