"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

Since wife and I are childless by choice and have no nearby family, our
Thanksgiving tradition is generally a small semi-traditional meal.

Christmas, however, is a Chinese buffet! LOL

So no hair pulling relative slapping planning for me! :) (ark ark humor)

Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Yummy! Let's get those pumpkin recipes going Claire.

I'm doing a pre-Thanksgiving meal for my family the weekend before since we'll be out of town visiting in-laws. In-laws usually do all the Salvadorian cooking and we just get to enjoy.

This year I'm deep frying my turkey, making a homemade cornbread dressing with nuts and dried fruits and lots of harvest veggies and of course our favorite buttermilk custard pies and pumpkin pies and breads.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
Master Chef

Grilling, we are childless-by-choice as well, but never have an empty table for holidays. I do the traditional Thanksgiving that Mom did, and we invite any strays who happen to be around. We have an extended "family" here, which includes widows, gay couples, and empty nesters. When I lived near my family, I was very frustrated in that Christmas dinner had to be exactly the same as Thanksgiving dinner, and included a lot of foods I don't like (and trust me, there is little I do not like in the way of food) ... that is to say candied sweet potatoes (I don't guess I'll ever understand why you need to put sugar and marshmallows on already-sweet potatoes)(makes my cavities hurt just to think about it). Now I simply tell people what I am making and let them fill in the gaps. I make a turkey with a sage bread dressing. I make a cucumber and shrimp salad. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Then I let everyone else fill in. I do put someone in charge of pies, and have vanilla ice cream on hand.

I'm still not sure what I'll make for the tree-trimming party. Normally I do either Cincinatti or New Mexico Green Chili, but one year I made pea soup. Something hearty like that. Then everyone brings a dish to share. I tend to fall down in the sweets department, so when people aske what to bring, I ask for things like Christmas cookies and other sweets.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I make a cucumber and shrimp salad.
Hi, Claire. I'd love to have your recipe for cucumber and shrimp salad TIA.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
POTICA!!!!!!!!!!! My mother made this all the time - two loaves every time! She never left me a recipe and it took me years of asking around to find one because it certainly isn't spelled the way it is pronounced and I had never seen the written word. Not until I started using a computer and doing an in depth search did I find it - and every single person that knew about it lived in the state I grew up in.

Holidays - mmmmm.......I know I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner.........there's a Christmas party the first Saturday in December.........that is all that is officially planned. We used to have a Christmas party every year until I realized it was waaaaaaaaay more fun to go to them than have them ........cheaper too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

For financial reasons our traditions (one old and one just a few years old) may have to be put on hold, but here is what we normally do.

When I said one tradition is old, we have only been married 4 1/2 years, but the Thanksgiving meal is the same I have had since I was a little girl. I asked James if there was anything he wanted to add to it, to bring in his family's traditions, but evidently their traditions were similar so he didn't add to it. Even though it is just the two of us I cook the full Thanksgiving meal: Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes baked with a little butter and brown sugar, (sometimes) baby peas, jellied cranberry sauce, cranberry salad, Waldorf salad, fruit salad, yeast rolls, black and green olives, and pumpkin pie (sometimes another type of pie in addition to pumpkin). If we know someone who does not have plans, of course we would invite them to eat with us, but so far everyone has had their own plans.

Growing up we had Thanksgiving at our house and another turkey dinner at my aunt's and uncle's for Christmas. As I said, it is just the two of us (my side of the family is in California and James's side is in Iowa). The first Christmas after we were married (2003) I didn't feel well and was not in the mood to cook. It was evening by the time I felt well, and we were both hungry (we had nibbled but had not had a meal). We decided to get in the car and drive until we found a good place to eat. Of course everything in our tiny town was closed, so we headed to Charlotte. A lot is closed there on Christmas too, but we ended up at TGIFriday's. We decided to make a brand new Christmas tradition, so our Christmas tradition is to drive until we find "the" place. Next time we will probably drive toward Myrtle Beach, since there will probably be more places open on Christmas.

Barbara
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
POTICA!!!!!!!!!!! My mother made this all the time - two loaves every time! She never left me a recipe and it took me years of asking around to find one because it certainly isn't spelled the way it is pronounced and I had never seen the written word. Not until I started using a computer and doing an in depth search did I find it - and every single person that knew about it lived in the state I grew up in.
Oh, elf! Ain't potica sooooo delicious? It's been made in my family for more generations than I can count and I've posted it here on DC. I can't wait to make it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know Katie!!!!!!!!!! I remember that filling so well!!!!!!!!! I remember sitting at the table just staring at it until she would cut it - that sweet, nutty filling - YUM! I've got your recipe neatly filed away!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Master Chef

We'll be visiting the Outer Banks of NC this year for thanksgiving so don't know where or what we'll be eating. Not all of the family can make the trip so we'll have a family meal at my sister's on Sunday after. That will be traditional turkey, stuffing, sweet potates, greenbean casserole, pies, cheese ball. Then it is my turn to host Christmas this year. That is also traditional but it is our family tradition not society's! We have home made pizza! I'll be making the dough and the sauce from scratch using Mom's recipe and then adding toppings as per family choice to make at least 4 jelly roll pan sized pizzas. The beauty is they can be made ahead of time and then on christmas day just pop them in the oven. Of course the rest of the family all brings their cookies, candies, donuts and holiday snacks. They sit out on the table and we nibble all day! Very laid back. No one is in the kitchen all day cooking and cleaning. Great easy get together food!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Before James and I were married I spent a couple Thanksgivings with a good friend of mine, and her husband and grown sons. She is Italian. Neither she or her husband liked turkey and they always had rigatoni and meatballs for Thanksgiving. She said her sons used to beg the neighbors for leftover turkey the day after Thanksgiving!

Barbara