"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My dressing recipe is in my Mom's head and I absorbed it in a symbiotic relationship...

Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I use a covered roasting pan and loosely stuff the turkey with herbs, S & P, a little celery and onion and a chopped up apple. Usually I also stuff the neck cavity with herb/bread stuffing and tack it closed. The rest of the stuffing gets cooked in a casserole dish or more commonly a couple of loaf pans (makes slicing for sandwiches a snap)

I truss the turkey and then add some white wine to the pan (about 1/2 Cup) The turkey bakes with the cover on at about 325 until it's about 3/4 cooked and then I take the lid off, brush the top with butter and let it brown.

This has proved to be fairly easy to do and results in a moist and pretty decent looking turkey.

I'm totally with you on presentation. I know it's easier to cut the bird in the kitchen and serve a platter of slices and parts but bringing a beautiful bird to the table on a gorgeous plate is worth the carving nightmare at the table.

Some thoughts about roasting pans.... if you don't have one you should consider getting one off ebay or at the local thrift store. These old 3 piece roasters are awesome and pretty cheap. They have a built in cradle to help lift the bird and were made by a number of companies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roaster 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	16231  
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Cupcake

Nice eBay find! I have a roaster that seems to be exactly the wrong size. It's too big for chicken......too small for turkey....odd, really.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook

i bake it unstuffed at 475 with a brown paper bag over the top
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

There are a number of threads related to this. I'm surprised the links haven't been posted.

I roast turkey about once a month between the months of October and April. I have been toying with the idea of marinating next month's turkey in buttermilk like I do with chicken every now and again--have a roaster oven that I could set low enough to emulate the temp of a crockpot...has anyone tried that or, I could roast in the oven--hmmm--thoughts? (Marinate in 2-3 qt buttermilk for 24-48 hours in a LARGE ziplock, flipping it 1x per day--with chicken, the chicken stays very moist and the gravy is excellent.)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I will be making my brined and lightly smoked beer can turkey.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I like brimming my Turkey 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar add your spices and herbs but do not use garlic i tried it the whole smelled like a dead skunk. But in a pot of boiling water let cool until cold. Get a clean bucket you need one that food cane in put Turkey in bucket pour fixture over Turkey cover Turkey put plate over Turkey put brick on plate to hold Turkey down leave in bucket for 24 hrs wash Turkey off it you do not you will end up with a salty Turkey here is a recipe: Or you can use this one

Best Turkey Ever!! (Brined)
Ingredients

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-turk...-brined-142563
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

It depends on what mood we're in. If it goes in the oven, we make a compound herb butter that goes under the skin. Fresh herbs in the cavity. It starts out breast side down and later flipped. Basted throughout the cooking process.

If we decide on a smoked bird, it will get brined first. Low and slow @ 225 in the pit or on the egg. I'll make up a basting mop and at the end a honey/herb glaze. Always a beautiful mahogany color, very moist and tasty.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Master Chef

In the oven, or over divided banks of charcoal on the Webber, with a drip pan underneath, brush with butter, add herbal compound butter under the skin, place in a 425 degree oven or place on the Webber, cook for 12 mintues per pound, then start checking the meat thermometer (that stays in the bird while it's cooking). Remove when thermometer reads 165' F. No basting, no fussing with it once its roasting.

Let rest for 20 minutes. Carve by removing whole breasts, legs, wings, and carving the meat off of the back. Slice breasts against the grain so everyone gets skin, and beautiful slices.

This technique gives me outstanding results with crispy skin, great color, succulent and tender, rediculously juicy, great flavor. Downside, get asked to make this for, friends, pot-lucks, and a couple weddings.

With the Webber Kettle, I also place a combination of apple, birch, and maple on the charcoal, both to protect the bird from direct radiant heat, and to create wonderful smoke.

Sometimes, I put the carved bird into the roasting pan, and pour that juices from the drip pan over the meat. Let it sit in the fridge overnight, and heat to 145' F. before the meal. It cause that smokey flavor from the juices in the drip pan to permeate all of the meat. The meat is also saturated with the juices, making it so that flavor explodes in your mouth with every bit. People rave about that.

The carcass is always made into turkey soup.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

After using several methods over the years, I have settled on using my rotisserie on the barbeque. I brush the bird with olive oil periodically and only use the infra red back burner. I position a pan under the bird to catch drippings. I use no flavorings or enhancements. I have had more positive comments with this method than all the other methods combined. Make sure you have a heavy enough spit rod and motor to handle the job. Enjoy!!

Tags
turkey