"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ancient.one View Post
I like brimming my Turkey 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar add your spices and herbs but do not use garlic i tried it the whole smelled like a dead skunk. But in a pot of boiling water let cool until cold. Get a clean bucket you need one that food cane in put Turkey in bucket pour fixture over Turkey cover Turkey put plate over Turkey put brick on plate to hold Turkey down leave in bucket for 24 hrs wash Turkey off it you do not you will end up with a salty Turkey here is a recipe: Or you can use this one

Best Turkey Ever!! (Brined)
Ingredients

Best Turkey Ever!! Brined) Recipe - Food.com - 142563

The correct salt/water ratio for a brine is 1 cup KOSHER salt to one gallon of water. Since table salt is finer grained you will have a lot more salt in your brine than you need. Plus 24 hours is a very long time to brine a 15 pound turkey.

Additionally, most recipes call for half as much sugar as salt.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The correct salt/water ratio for a brine is 1 cup KOSHER salt to one gallon of water. Since table salt is finer grained you will have a lot more salt in your brine than you need. Plus 24 hours is a very long time to brine a 15 pound turkey.

Additionally, most recipes call for half as much sugar as salt.
No 1/2 cup Salt 1 cup Sugar

Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Season the bird with salt and pepper, stuff with a peeled onion and cover with streaky bacon. Roast in some water with a small amount of lemon juice. Delicious!

http://www.cookbookinteractive.co.uk/
Carlos75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

When brimming any kind of meat you always use KOSHER salt do not use table salt it is to fine
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Using a new method this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
This year I bought the turkey deep fryer. Will see what happens. Usually I simply put it in the oven and periodically based with turkey or chicken soup.
This year I bought a masterbuilt turkey deep fryer and plan to try it. Usually I rub with olive oil use seasalt and ground pepper and use the safeway 2 hour turkey method. It always turns out brown and juicy inside.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ancient.one View Post
When brimming any kind of meat you always use KOSHER salt do not use table salt it is to fine
Your recipe specifide table salt, now you say kosher, so which is it? That recipe also calls for way too much brown sugar, IMO.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Your recipe specifide table salt, now you say kosher, so which is it? That recipe also calls for way too much brown sugar, IMO.
I heard of a different idea to try for Thanksgiving this year. Take a completely thawed turkey, season it & put it in a bed of fresh vegetables in a pan covered tightly with foil. Put in a pre-heated 500 degree oven for 1 hour, after the hour, turn the oven off & DO NOT open the oven for 4 hours. It looked good, tastey & moist. Maybe I will try it this way this year. Has anyone else ever heard of this method ?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have heard of it, but I can't imagine having my oven tied up for 5 hours on TD.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
Executive Chef

One side of me is the "TV dinner" advocate side. Wash it off, preheat your dinner, rack it, stick a remote reading thermometer in its breast, take it out when it's done.

Total labor: washing it. Cleaning the pan when it's done.

Benefit: a whole bunch of turkey for dinner tonight and a zillion other uses including turkey crepes and turkey enchiladas.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have heard of it, but I can't imagine having my oven tied up for 5 hours on TD.
Good point.

Tags
turkey