How do you prep for Turkey Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
What are some of the things you do in preparation for the big day?

I've already got roasted pumpkin soup in the freezer, along with some ch.chip cookie dough, and Cheddar Pennies dough.

Made turkey stock with some turkey wings and veggies; roasted them, then added chicken stock, water, bay leaf, thyme, sage and peppercorns to the stock, and let it simmer about 3 hours. Wonderful rich stock! Made almost 2 gallons; 1 gallon frozen for gravy (we liiiiike gravy!), and then made some turkey and rice soup with the rest, for those who don't like the pumpkin soup.

I'll do most of the shopping this weekend, and then start prepping on Monday. Make the cranberry sauce, and chop veg for stuffing, then on Tuesday will do pumpkin cake and make dips for aps. Wednesday will make stuffing, prep sweet potatoes and other veg, make a pear-almond tart and coffee cake for week-end company.

Mostly what I've done so far is collect the supplies I'll need. Since we are going away and take the food, many of the utensils, etc with us, it will be easier to prepare it after we arrive. Consider our trip almost like a camping trip as to the preparation. I think we are now having 29 people. I bought a 20 lb turkey today and my sister is bringing a large ham. I will have a day or so before anyone else arrives to gather my wits.

I usually try to prepare as much as I can a few days before up until Thanksgiving day. Unfortunatly, dh doesn't get paid until the day before Thanksgiving, so I will be doing all my shopping that day. What a nightmare! I'll do as much as I can before the big day arrives, but it will be tough without many groceries...

:( my dh will be out of town all week and only return about noon on T day and I'm most upset about this! While I generally love my alone time I hate that he won't be around for the T day prep! Besides he's extremely grouchy when he has to fly. Grrrrrrrrr.

Ok enough whining!

I always buy necks and backs and wings ahead so I can make the stock for the dressing a day or so ahead. That really helps!

Mashed potatoes is an absolute must and there is no way to put hot mashed potatoes on the table just after they're beaten so I make them pretty early in the day and keep them in the warming drawer.

I make mince-meat bites a day or so ahead and this year, since he won't be here, I won't have to make them twice. Also the pies are done at least the day before.

Gonna order the turkey tomorrow and try not to whine anymore!

I make pies and the ice cream a day or two ahead.

The day before, I make the brine, the roasted butternut squash, the stock from turkey and chicken parts, and prep any veggies I can (pearl onions in cream sauce). I put the turkey into the brine late that night and prepare the bread for the stuffing.

Thursday, I do everything else up to and including eating 'til I can't move and falling asleep.

Oh my Marmalady! You go all out the whole week. I usually prep one day ahead by cooking the pumpkin to make my pies and bake the cornbread for the dressing so I can leave the oven free for the BIG BIRD. I usually do all the fixings on the stove top for the cornbread dressing (which I've been elected to make each year) and Mom and my sister bring the rest of the side dishes. This year, my sister will be roasting the turkey at Mom's so it will be an easier Thanksgiving day for me. Although, I love to go all out and make extras like candied sweet potatoes for my Daddy and other desserts for the kids.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Remember 1620 and many blessings to all of you and your families.

Dina

Andy M. said:
The day before, I make the brine, the roasted butternut squash, the stock from turkey and chicken parts, and prep any veggies I can (pearl onions in cream sauce). I put the turkey into the brine late that night and prepare the bread for the stuffing.

I, too, brine the bird a day before. It makes for such juicy results! I'll probably make the crans, turkey stock and broc rice casserole a day ahead also. For something new this year, I'll be trying my hand at dinner rolls and will do that recipe over three days. I love thanksgiving, it just can't come soon enough for me.:pig:

i make sure my wife's pregnancy sweatpants are packed and ready to go, and i don't eat a thing after the monday morning before...

OK, y'all are going to think this is strange but I cook my turkey the day before, carve it & put it in one of those large foil pans tightly cobered in foil in the fridge. On T-day, I pull it out & slide it in the oven covered just to warm it up. My family prefers to have it already carved & ready to eat. Tomorrow I plan on making my biscuits & cornbread for the dressing, I'll freeze that until next Wednseday morning & that afternoon I'll make the dressing. As far as the other sides go, I'll make all those, with the exception of the pineapple cass., Wednesday & all I really have left to do for T-day is make the gravy, pineapple cass., frost the pumpkin crunch cake, & slide everything else in the oven. I'll go this weekend to get eveything that I need.

thank you licia. :)

regular pants just get too tight for me after the first few hours at the feeding trough...

Prepping for Turkey day is easy!

Go out Wednesday night (or have people over all night - it is the biggest party night of the year...), then regain conciousness on Thursday in time for the kickoff o the Lions game. Give up on the Lions, eat, then watch the Cowboy game while snacking on all the leftovers and deserts...

John

Back
Top Bottom