How often do you entertain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do you entertain?

• monthly

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • weekly

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • a couple times a year

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • never

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Claire

Master Chef
I tell people that I invite someone to dinner at least once a month because it makes me clean my house. Then twice a year I throw a "big" party (about 40 people). How often do you have people over for a meal (outside of your own immediate family)? What kind of things do you do? Eat, drink, talk, play games, listen to music, dance? When holidays come up, do you (a) just have your immediate family (b) have extended family traditions, or (c) round up anyone and feed them.

During the winter we rarely entertain, but once the warm weather comes it seems we do it at least every other weekend, if not more. We have a great backyard with a pool and deck and a big tree that gives the perfect amount of shade. I have outdoor speakers so there is always music going. During the summer we spend most of our time out there.

We have one big party every three years or so...

We'll go months with out having anyone over and then it seems like we'll have people here every weekend for a month. It all just depends.

I entertain when it's my turn for Christmas or Thanksgiving. That's it. We used to on Labor day and a few other times, but, that changed 2 years ago. I won't go into that, I'll just say, alcohol poisoning!!

Not as much as I would like to.

I love having fun people over to eat, drink, hang out, listen to music, and just generally b.s. about the state of the world.

It's better when we all don't agree on everything.

Feeding the people you like/love in your own house - what's not to like 'bout that?

I try to get some close friends together at least once every couple of months - it's also a chance for our children to hve some fun. Very imformal - just good food and good company, a chance to relax and catch up with one another.

Then usually, i'll throw a big party for my daughter's birthday, Xmas and Chinese New Year.

I've also started a new family tradition - holding a easter egg hunt for my daughter and her young friends. So i put together a nice egg hunt around the house followed by a nice afternoon tea for the kids. As for the parents / adults - we retire indoor and chill out wif a nice english afternoon tea but with cool ice tea - Singapore is too hot to relax wif hot tea :eek:)

Mudbug, I agree that an evening or afternoon of visiting is best if we don't agree! Freindly arguments are the best, it gets those little gray cells working. I have freinds who are just right of Atilla the Hun, and freinds who are left of Jane Fonda. We have a lot of fun discussing the issues over good food and booze. There are never any hard feelings, and the differences in politics and religion make for interesting discussions. Mostly, though, we talk about food and travel!!

During the summer we have people over 4 or 5 times. We listen to music cookout, play card/board games, go swimming, sit around bonfires etc...
During the cooler weather (usually Halloween, New Year's Eve)
we invite people over and we go down in the basement to shoot pool or darts.

I'm really not sure why, but since I moved here, our social life has taken off. We always did entertain on at least a monthly basis, but here in Galena, everyone does, or there is some kind of community affair. Freinds from Virginia decided to move here after a couple of visits because we are such an active community (not to mention downright beautiful). My younger friends (20s and 30s) consider me sort of a doyenne of entertaining. My older freinds (70s and 80s) depend on me to entertain on their behalf. It is all great fun. I never, ever do it all myself. Rarely do my freinds do it by themselves. If we don't do it potluck, we at least show up with a bottle of something or a bouquet of flowers.

In the summer we often just yell over the fence and have cookouts together. If we see someone walking down the street, we'll invite them to them to join us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom