Hubby's B-day!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lillyanne

Assistant Cook
Good day all,
Very nervouse today,it's hubby's birthday sunday but i'm planning a special outing for 8 people including a 3course outdoor meal.:wacko:

Starting off tommorow afternoon with a game drive and sundowners on the hill with a few off all the land and the surrounding area.
Back home for small snacks will a big fire burns it way out. followed by steak and a chicken kebab,greek salad,potato salad,home made breads and condements,dessert is a boozy pepperment crisp tart. (real guy braai)

Hopping to get a few pics on this time.
***Any ideas for light snacks?*** :huh:

happy birthday to your hubby, lil.

could you explain game drive, sundowners, and a few off the hill?

your menu sounds great, and you've got things covered. you could add loaded nachos, shrimp cocktail, or chips and salsa, or maybe a spinach and artichoke dip.

Hubby B-day

Thanks that help's alot!

Okay let me explain it his way:
8people get on an open scruffy old landrover then you load the cold beer and wine,you drive into the bush and look at diffrent kinds off wild life.For example on our farm we have Springbuck,Kudu,warthog,Gemsbuck,our catle,Duikers,alot of diffrent kinds of brid life,Blessbuck ect.

You drive all the way up a hill (we call it the koppie) and at the top we stop everyone gets off the vechile and from there you can see all our land and the areas surrounding us with the sunsetting in the back ground.
It is one off the most bueatifull things to see.
Sundowners is the drinks that we'll be having while enjoy all these wonderfull things.
(Bonus it's all Free)

that sounds spectacular!

i can see all of my land from my back window. and way too much of my neighbor's laundry set out to dry, and their garbage cans full of spent liquor bottles.

they're sort of like animals, so it's a little of the same thing. :huh:

lol, maybe not.

Sheeeesh,that does not sound nice.
guess i'm spould,our closest neighbour is about 10-12km away,i have to drive to borrow a cup of sugar!
But we like it that way.
I just hope that everything goes according to plan for his birthday!!!

(I'll put some pics on of the area around my house right now)

i'd love to see it. get me out of this dreary neighborhood.

you know, since you're doing a sort of greek/mediterranean menu, you could sub pita wedges for the chips to go with the spinach and artichoke dip, and maybe add dolmades, and olives, and maybe some greek style cheeses.

good luck with your dinner.

Def going to try some of those.
Put the pics on,have a look.

What to do with these frozen crab stick things???

Good day all,
Very nervouse today,it's hubby's birthday sunday but i'm planning a special outing for 8 people including a 3course outdoor meal.:wacko:

Starting off tommorow afternoon with a game drive and sundowners on the hill with a few off all the land and the surrounding area.
Back home for small snacks will a big fire burns it way out. followed by steak and a chicken kebab,greek salad,potato salad,home made breads and condements,dessert is a boozy pepperment crisp tart. (real guy braai)

Hopping to get a few pics on this time.
***Any ideas for light snacks?*** :huh:

Sounds very South African!

I'm from SA and these go down well with the guys when we braai, watch rugby, go camping etc.

Mini fatcakes (vetkoek) with curried beef mince, chicken mayo, ham and cheese etc.

Bacon and cherry or pineapple bites. Wrap either chunks of pineapple or glazed cherries in strips of streaky bacon. Brush with spare rib marinade and grill. I use toothpicks for bite size or skewers to make sosaties.

Cocktail smoked pork sausages with mustard dip.

Mini quiches with biltong.

Nachos are always good! Like Bucky said.

Watermelon skewers with cubed feta and calamata olives.

Buffalo wings.

Mini samoosas.

Sausage rolls with dip.

Veggie sticks with hummus.

I could go on, tell me if you want more ideas :)

Last edited:
I just noticed you said you have Kudu on your farm. My hubby's favourite is Kudu fillet stuffed with garlic, mushrooms and mozzarella, brushed with a marinade of...

W/sauce
Chutney
Lemon juice
Mustard
Tomato Ketchup
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper and
Aromat.

I wish we could go on a game drive again soon, sold my 4x4 so we haven't gone hunting or bundu bashing in a while :(

Thank you for all the reply's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes kudus are amazing,here they are known as the ghosts of the bushveld.
i'm very glad to hear from a fellow sa

Thank you for all the reply's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes kudus are amazing,here they are known as the ghosts of the bushveld.
i'm very glad to hear from a fellow sa

Hi :)
Didn't even notice you're South African till now :LOL: Finally someone that will understand my SA lingo on DC. I see you live in Douglas? Where is that?

Last edited:
very nice pics in your album, lil. i was expecting david attenborough to narrate on the scenic ones. :)

Douglas is in the Northen Cape about 60km from Kimberley.
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics,more to come hopefully,very busy day!
It all kicks off at 3

Douglas is in the Northen Cape about 60km from Kimberley.
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics,more to come hopefully,very busy day!
It all kicks off at 3

Stupid me, I totally forgot there is a place called Douglas in CT. I was there about 3 and half years ago with my kids. We went all over Cape Town, just got in the car and visited all sorts of hidden gems. Made no reservations at all! We went to Kimberley, Paternoster, Blouberg Strand, Hermanis, Kommetjie, Strand, Muizenberg, Stellenbosch, Grabouw, Worcester, Somerset Wes etc etc.

Sommer orals!

I've got a few of my pics on my DC profile. It was the best holiday ever :)

Have a lovely day with your hubby on his b-day! Hope it all works out perfectly :)

Morning After?!?!?!?

Well,i'm very happy to say that all went great this weekend for hubby's b-day.He loved every moment of it.

Feeling totaly exhausted,but baby girl has different ideas for the day and the big cleanup is still looming in the shadows:(.
Hubby's off to work,the animals kalf included and baby has been fed now they want to play.
Mommy how ever has different plans.

:w00t2:So here's to a great weekend and the rest of the week.!!!!
Pic's comming soon.

Back
Top Bottom