I have to run a program with teen girls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchboxlovessailing

Assistant Cook
I work at a summer camp in upstate NY as the cook. :chef: This summer, we have a two week program for girls 6-8th grade. The description is as follows:"Martha Stewart watch out! The next generation of culinary divas are on their way. From candy and cakes to down home cooking, you'll do it all. Visit the local culinary institute and help prepare a dinner of your choice for the camp. You'll be saying, "Bon Appetite'"

The girls will not be allowed to use the stove or oven, etc. They do have a food preparation area and there will be ten of them.

The question is:Any ideas? Please?

Constance said:
I have a question...how are they going to cook without a stove?
All of the actual baking, etc. is gonna have to be done by me or their counselors for insurance reasons(we can't have 10 12-14 year old girls running around my kitchen!)

Are you serious - you can't use the stove or oven for anything they cook?

I teach a cooking class for some of the young girls at church - ages 8 thru 18+, let's say. I can give you recipes for some of the stuff we've made together that they really enjoyed. One of the things they liked best was sharing what they made with others.

Can you give us some more details on your upcoming adventure? :)

Good question Constance.
I'm guessing that they'll cut, mix and prepare everything and then an instructor will do the cooking part??

Let us know and we'll give you lots of ideas.

Ok...

I'll do the cooking/baking. I don't really have much experience as a teacher, although I've been in the industry 10 years. They can cut and mix and whatever else, but how am I supposed to amuse ten 12-14 year old girls for 2 WEEKS!!!

Lunchboxlovessailing said:
I'll do the cooking/baking. I don't really have much experience as a teacher, although I've been in the industry 10 years. They can cut and mix and whatever else, but how am I supposed to amuse ten 12-14 year old girls for 2 WEEKS!!!

Invite over ten 12-14 year old boys!:LOL: :ROFLMAO: - My daughter would be first in line! Sounds like a fun class!

Girls that age are perfectly capable of using a stove with a little supervision. It's certainly no more dangerous than handing them a knife.

Why don't you have them plan menus for certain occasions using foods they enjoy? For instance: slumber party, pizza party, picnic, dinner for mom & dad, etc.
A slumber party, for instance, would call for snacks, drinks, and breakfast the next morning. They could plan the menu, establish a budget, and go shopping for the ingredients. One day would be spent doing the prep work, then they could actually have the party and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Don't forget what it was like to be that age, and have a good time with the girls!

Last edited:
THe girls can make salads... chicken or taco. You could have the chicken and meat cooked so they can do the rest. Presentation too. It really limits things when they cannot use the stove; however, think of all the casseroles they can assemble .

Lunchboxlovessailing said:
I work at a summer camp in upstate NY as the cook. :chef: This summer, we have a two week program for girls 6-8th grade. The description is as follows:"Martha Stewart watch out! The next generation of culinary divas are on their way. From candy and cakes to down home cooking, you'll do it all. Visit the local culinary institute and help prepare a dinner of your choice for the camp. You'll be saying, "Bon Appetite'"

The girls will not be allowed to use the stove or oven, etc. They do have a food preparation area and there will be ten of them.

The question is:Any ideas? Please?

Lunchbox, the nature of the question is not clear to me.

Question: Do you have a selected variety of foods on hand for preparing a dinner of choice for each participant for the camp? Do you know what each participant's dinner of choice will be?

Are you asking for recipes or what to do with the girls for the duration?

If it is a culinary institute, I would give cooking lessons & plan ahead on what & how you will teach -- what cooking utensils are needed, recipes etc.

In about, the eighth grade, in home economics, we worked in teams of four, followed a recipe for muffins, pasta, etc. & each group had their own oven/stove.

At the end of the term, we all worked together for the final in preparing a full menu, based on the dishes we learned during the semester.

If insurance is a concern, I probably might think about kids using knives as well.

Sounds like a great endeavor, but need more specific info.

Last edited:
Will they have microwave access?

I took a class when I was ten and we used the microwave for lots...

We had access to one stove/oven, but we'd each make brownie mix or cookie batter in small groups and then put it on the cookie trays and the teacher would put them in the oven for however long it was.

We also sometimes would work on assembly and easy things. I have a Sara Lee commercial in my head now.

Working with assembly and plating would be good too. I've always liked the visual part, and things tend to collapse on me.

Someone suggested the themed days, and that sounds like it would be a fun thing.

Back
Top Bottom