"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by bplax44
i am looking for a dinner idea that can feed a little more than 30 teenagers and a few adults. something thats a little sophistocated yet something everyone will eat. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know
Not sophisticated but REALLY really good, and totally enjoyed by all--and CHEAP. And it is easily completely ready before the event so you can enjoy yourself too.
Carolina Pulled pork, buns, served with slaw, southern pole beans, baked beans, or even a big layered salad ,and banana pudding or brownies or lemon bars.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Summer....Florida....on the beach. I'm thinking you would all enjoy a summer menu much more than comfort/winter type foods. Here's a couple of ideas for you - everything can be made the day before serving.

1 16 oz. package cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen
4 ounces Salami -- chopped, ~1 cup
4 ounces provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" strips
1 11 oz. can whole kernel corn
1 9 oz. package frozen spinach -- thawed, squeezed to drain
1 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke heart -- drained, chopped
1 6 oz. can ripe olives -- pitted, drained, sliced (~1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated
2 oz. jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse w/cold water.

In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon & 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Top w/remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos and other garnishes.

"3 quarts"
Serving Ideas : This is a wonderful buffet dish.

16 ozs salad macaroni -- cooked
1/2 cup red onion -- minced, red or white
8 ozs marinara sauce
1 1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1 cup sweet pickle relish
4 ozs black olives -- chopped or sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
salt and pepper

Drain, rinse the macaroni and mix together with the onion, marinara sauce, celery, relish, olives & chili powder.
Add the mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, salt and pepper and mix together
Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

And you could fix either grilled chicken or oven-baked chicken and have it cold the next day.

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or till Chicken reaches 160°.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!

An added treat - mince 3-4 cloves garlic, put in saucepan with cube of butter and melt; let sit a while. Then slather that mixture on Sourdough bread loaf that has been halved lengthwise and heat in oven. Oh boy!

some ideas to think about.

an old cook, still learning new tricks!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Are you going to have access to a grill? Salad and skewered kabobs. You can do something like jerked chicken. Of course pork tenderloin, beef and shrimp are great on kabobs as well. I have tons of grill recipes if you want more ideas.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
Master Chef
hm, teenagers, florida, beach, hm. i'd say guacomole, chips, beer, that should do it.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
Head Chef
I have never tried this but saw it on a cooking show. It looked neat. BBQ meat (pulled pork, flank steaks, brisket) served in a sliced down the middle baked potato (eaten like a sandwich) Also use soft tortilla wraps and lots of neat toppings. Pot of beans, simple salad (tomatoes, cukes, fennel and evoo)
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Executive Chef
All can be cooked ahead of time:

Sausage & Peppers on a roll; Mac & Cheese (you could add stuff to make it more sophisticated); any pastas; kabobs; salads
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
Sous Chef
What about a Low Country Boil ?
shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausage, onions...
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I too was thinking low country boil as I was reading the posts!!!!

Serve that with some grilled Italian or French bread and a nice big salad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Food 4 teens

I only prepared a party 4 my 13 yr old last year, we had about 15 of his mates, (all boys-big appitites), I have also done a party for my older son when he was 15, so we had 14-17 year olds here, about 20 of them, all boys again. For both parties I did almost the same, a few changes along the way.
But first you have to check on what the kids like and eat, and if they have any medical reason for not being able to eat certain foods,you dont want any problems along the way and you also need to accomadate for everyone.
Ok,now that that is out of the way, here is my suggestions:
A good old BBQ with all kinds of meat,a variety of everything that can be BBQ'd, A big pot of Spagg Bol, Shephards /Cottage pie, Spaggheti with Chicken and different sauses,Meatballs with a variety of sauses, Pizza, Garlic Bread or other breads, A Tossed Salad, Potato Bake, Coleslaw,Potato Salad,
Pork spare Ribs, Fried Rice, any sort of finger food, Chicken drumsticks, Chicken wings/wingettes roasted in an oven ( honey soy and garlic chilli ) is a great taste, cheerios ( I think you may call them weenies over there ), they are small finger sized sausages,cocktail sausages I think, with your choice of sauce, crackers and dip, If you can, a couple of different Roast meats ( pork,lamb,beef ) all good and easily sliced, corn on the cob, and 4 dessert, a freshly made fruit salad,cheese and fruit platters with crackers,
or maybe a couple of different cheese cakes, my favourite would be pavlova,but you may not like that, Im not sure. There are heaps of ideas out here, maybe ask your friends as well, what do they like to eat and any suggestions from them, try to have a variety of foods to suit and please everyone. I hope it all goes well 4 you, please let us all know how it went.
Cheers, Spiritwolf.
SpiritWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bplax44
ok, well i got a while to prepare. this is for the summer, and we are going to the beach in florida. these teenagers are around 16 to 18. i want to be able to feed a lot, but i dont wont to use premade things, like sauces. now i am from pittsburgh and im 18. i love to cook and i feel that i know what im doing so i want something that will challenge me, and also that will be different from everyday food
Let me see if I have this straight in my head ... you're from PA and going to FL and want to make a feast on the beach down there?

First obvious question is - do you know where you will be staying? If so - contact them and see if they can help you out by loaning you some equipment ... big boiling pots, grill grates, etc... and what the current laws are on the type of fire you can build on the beach.

Second - will you have a food prep area ... does your room come with a kitchenette with cutting board and knives? Any pots and pans??

Obviously you're not going to haul food down from PA to FL. What you can do when you get to FL will depend on your resources. If you have access to a couple of big pots - the "Low Country" boil sounds great. If not - and you can build a fire-pit on the beach ... then maybe a fish steamed in leaves - stuffed with citrus fruit and herbs?

There are other options ... jerk chicken, beef, pork, goat ... with a nice mango and papaya chutney for example.

What you can do will depend more on what you have the resources to do than your ability to execute the dish with all the resources you need. It sounds like you're talking about a cookout on the beach ... in an alien environment with minimal cooking gear .... think along those lines.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote