"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
I need a good dinner idea that can feed about 30 people

i am looking for a dinner idea that can feed a little more than 30 teenagers and a few adults. something thats a little sophistocated yet something everyone will eat. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know

bplax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Master Chef
How about humburgers, or lasagna, would they eat soup? How about mashed potato and baked chicken?

Give us a little bit more info, time of the day, where you are doing this, what's the ocasion, how old are teenagers,etc.?

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Head Chef
How about a Mexican Type Menu:

Enchilada Casserole - You can make it with beef or chicken. It can be layered for ease of making. One large tray would feed 30 teens. You can layer tortillas with spicy tomato type sauce, ground beef, sprinkle of green onions, cheddar cheese and then repeat layers finishing with cheese, green onions and finishing with black olives (if teens would like it).

You can also make a sophisticated version of this with cooked shredded chicken and a green verde type sauce (rather than the traditional red enchilada sauce).

You can make a side of refried beans and cheese or a layered salad - with beans, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and chips to go with it.

Another side would be some spanish rice seasoned with cumin, red chili powder, corrainder and mixed with diced tomatoes, corn, red and green bell pepper.

A nice big tray of corn bread would round off the meal.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Head Chef
May not be sophisticated but it has an international flair.

Thinking about British bangers and mash. Bangers are British sausages, but in lieu of them, can use almost any sausage you choose.

Mashed is just mashed taters, but often see chips (French fries) substituted for it. And in the old days they would be served with a healthy dose of beans on the side (of the Heinz canned variety, but any such beans including Campbells, B & M, would work just fine. Generally the beans were of the sorta mushy Heinz variety, but heck, who is going to care if you use something else? Even a bean salad would work, but don't mention you heard it here).

Now if you use mash, the dish is often served with onion gravy. It is just a basic gravy, could always Google, or could take canned/jarred gravy, maybe add some sliced onions that are caramelized. Or any gravy you want.

I hate to bring up the idea (my British and Celtic genes are rebelling at the mere mention of this), but even a tomato/spaghetti sauce would work. I know it 'haint never been seen in a proper British pub, but the way pub grup is changing you never know. And it would definitely work. In which case I might leave out the beans and add a bit of pasta salad. Call it Luigi's banger and mash.

Yeah, and make some deep fried, battered, Mars bars, that, I believe, originated in Scotland. The kids will love them. It would be a bit of a chore but I am sure it would go over big. And the Italian tie in? I believe they were first made at Pasquali's fish and chips shop in Edinburgh.

All of this can easily be prepared ahead and warmed before the event. OK, maybe not the Mars bars. (Or maybe so, have never tried one. Always promise ourselves when we are in Edinburgh will eat one, and they are readily available, but never have.)

Putting together enough for 30 teens should not pose too much of a problem. And the fixin's are relatively inexpensive, and most can be bought in bulk.

Just an idea. It doesn't have to be truly authentic at all, just call it that. And if you want to toss in a salad on the side, or something else, that would be fine.

Hope you enjoy it. Sounds like it could be fun.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bplax44
i am looking for a dinner idea that can feed a little more than 30 teenagers and a few adults. something thats a little sophistocated yet something everyone will eat. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know
Where do you live? You didn't bother to put that in your profile. What may be "sophisticated" or "unique" or "exotic" in one region may not be in another ...

How much time do you have (to cook) and how much money to spend? What kind of meal are you looking for?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I would prepare something like chicken spaghetti, or manicotti, a huge salad, lots of garlic bread. Dessert- brownies with ice cream or cookies. I say this because I have prepared both meals for about 20-30 people. Feeds many and easy to prepare.
GROCERY LIST: What you spend half an hour writing, then forget to take with you to the store.
JCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Master Chef
I'm thinking of the teens I know, and what they like to eat. Most of them like Mexican food, pizza, spaghetti and related dishes, burgers and hot dogs. The girls are a lot pickier than the boys, but I haven't seen one who wouldn't eat macaroni and cheese.
You can do some pretty sophisticated things with pizza. You could do a pizza buffet, add a pasta dish or two, breadsticks, salad fixings and a couple desserts. (I'd suggest brownies for one of them.)

Here are 503 ways to do pizza:

Food Network Search
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
ok, well i got a while to prepare. this is for the summer, and we are going to the beach in florida. these teenagers are around 16 to 18. i want to be able to feed a lot, but i dont wont to use premade things, like sauces. now i am from pittsburgh and im 18. i love to cook and i feel that i know what im doing so i want something that will challenge me, and also that will be different from everyday food
bplax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I'd go with lasagna. Simply because you can make these ahead of time. You can put different trays of them together and stick them in the fridge. Then, when it's time, just pull them out and throw them in the oven. Whip up a good salad while they lasgna is baking.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #10
Executive Chef
You can go Greek and whip up Pastitsio, Macaroni Pie. It is fairly easy to prepare, quite substantial and easy to handle. For side dishes, you can prepare croquettes, dips like hummus, and salads.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote