I need some advice for a cooking contest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnlm

Assistant Cook
A few friends of mine have decided to take part in a cooking contest sort of like Iron Chef, there'll be a secret ingredient and limited cooking apparel. Below is a list of the ingredients we do know, its vegetarian.

Dairy: yogurt, parmesan cheese, butter, cream, soy milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese

Fresh herbs: chives, parsley, oregano, dill, basil, cilantro

Dry store: olive/canola/sesame oil, balsamic/white vinegar, soy sauce, dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, granola, dried fruit, flour, baking powder/soda, white/brown sugar

Veg & fruit: red peppers, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, carrots, hot house tomatoes, lemons, romaine/iceberg lettuce, spinach, oranges, potatoes

Misc: maple syrup, eggs, veggie back bacon, ketchup

Maybe some sauce ideas would be nice or some tasty, presentable dishes. Anyhow, thanks in advance.

PS: There won't be any ovens either. Mods and members: Is there anyway to edit my posts? None of these functions seem to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
think soup using unusual but not incompatable combinations
an aspic for cold oops no gelatine
timbales work well with a number of different ingredients using eggs and cheese
julienned salads
if the Secret Ingredient is meat then you might consider making a light stuffing
or perhaps a rulade (?) using the cheese, herbs and mushrooms with minced bacon
Without the secret ingredient it is hard to put something together
Good Luck

dnlm said:
Hmm, ingredient list seems to be condensed. I can't seem to edit it so I'll repost it spaced out.

Dairy: yogurt, parmesan cheese, butter, cream, soy milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese

Fresh herbs: chives, parsley, oregano, dill, basil, cilantro

Dry store: olive/canola/sesame oil, balsamic/white vinegar, soy sauce, dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, granola, dried fruit, flour, baking powder/soda, white/brown sugar

Veg & fruit: red peppers, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, carrots, hot house tomatoes, lemons, romaine/iceberg lettuce, spinach, oranges, potatoes

Misc: maple syrup, eggs, veggie back bacon, ketchup

How many dishes do you have to prepare? Here are some sauce ideas anyway:

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Coulis - roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt; puree all

Tomato-Herb Vinaigrette - olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, diced tomato, minced dill, basil, chives, and parsley; salt and pepper; emulsify vinaigrette, fold in tomatoes and herbs

Salsa Verde - olive oil, green onion, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper; puree all

Tsaziki Style Sauce - yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, dill, chives, salt; puree all

Lemon-Herb Aioli - egg yolk, canola oil, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, chives, parsley; emulsify mayonnaise, fold in other ingredients

Parmesan Cream Sauce - cream, parmesan, butter, salt; reduce cream by half, melt cheese, finish with butter

Romesco Sauce - see my recipe under "Sauce" forum

Iron cheffing

Check out my website http://cookingdownunder.com/articles/2006/221.htm for a recipe for mushroom varieties.

Think balsamic reduction (boiling down the balsamic to concentrate the flavours) which is pretty trendy these days (eg caramelised figs with balsamic reduction).

I am not vegetarian but I have a search engine on my site which might be helpful for individual ingredients as I often do non-meat dishes.

We do some inventive fusion food in these parts.

Pat
Melbourne, Australia

Seems to me if you're going to enter a cooking contest, the ideas should be YOUR ideas - just a thought!:)

Many folks here have worked to develop their own recipes to enter in contests or cook-offs. If I might suggest, why don't you come up some ideas, then post your own ideas, and let the peeps here make suggestions? :chef:

The contest is over!

We ended up making an eggs benedict with herb-stuffed mushrooms with a cheese crust. For our endeavours we were awarded cookbooks. Thanks so much for all of the great members on this forum that contributed to our success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom