"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

I think my turkey is thawing faster than I planned

Hello. ok I'm getting a little nervous. I was told that if I buy a frozen turkey on Friday morning and keep it in the refrigerator, by the time Thursday came along I'd be golden as it should be all defrosted. So on Friday I bought a 20lb ButterBall Turkey.

I didn't think about how many times my refrigerator gets opened by myself, my husband and my kids. I just noticed that it seems pretty close to be thawed out. I haven't really checked prior to today.

Am I going to be ok with this turkey? If it's completely thawed out in the refrigerator this early?

Please advise.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm betting that it is still pretty frozen inside. "fresh" turkeys at the grocery stores have about a 14 day shelf life, since this turkey was likely frozen the same day that it was killed, I see nothing wrong with it hanging around in the fridge for a few days.

Just make sure that you keep it in a pan to catch the juices and keep it on the bottom of the fridge so that there is no chance of it dripping on any other food.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think my turkey is thawing faster then I planned

Agree with Bakechef. Your turkey will be fine. Don't forget to take out the giblets before you cook it! (Check the neck cavity too.)
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

No worries. First of all, it's still frozen in the middle. Even if it isn't, it'll be fine. I bought a fresh turkey on Friday and it has a use by date of the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks. I guess my concern is having such a big thawed out or close to thawed out turkey this early sitting there until Thursday. I usually cook meats that are in the refrigerator within 5 days typically.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Whew I got enough to do to get ready, no need to be worrying. : )
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I hope you have the turkey in a pan to catch any juices that may want to escape the packaging. Things that are being thawed in the refrigerator only ever leak when they are sitting directly on the shelf.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I do this every year. Did I start thawing the turkey too soon or not soon enough? This year I'm leaning toward too soon. I'll take a breath and relax. 15 pounder started to defrost on last Thursday. It will go in the brine on Wednesday. It will be fine...it will be fine....=o)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I've got fresh turkeys on ice. After brining tomorrow, they will stay for 48 hours on ice.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I always mean to start thawing on Saturday but usually forget and bring it out Sunday. This year I bought it on Saturday and popped it in the mini fridge to start thawing. Even if it is a little frozen still, the brine will finish the job in short order.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast, turkey