I think my turkey is thawing faster than I planned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hello. ok I'm getting a little nervous. I was told that if I buy a frozen turkey on Friday morning and keep it in the refrigerator, by the time Thursday came along I'd be golden as it should be all defrosted. So on Friday I bought a 20lb ButterBall Turkey.

I didn't think about how many times my refrigerator gets opened by myself, my husband and my kids. I just noticed that it seems pretty close to be thawed out. I haven't really checked prior to today.

Am I going to be ok with this turkey? If it's completely thawed out in the refrigerator this early?

Please advise.

I'm betting that it is still pretty frozen inside. "fresh" turkeys at the grocery stores have about a 14 day shelf life, since this turkey was likely frozen the same day that it was killed, I see nothing wrong with it hanging around in the fridge for a few days.

Just make sure that you keep it in a pan to catch the juices and keep it on the bottom of the fridge so that there is no chance of it dripping on any other food.

I think my turkey is thawing faster then I planned

Agree with Bakechef. Your turkey will be fine. Don't forget to take out the giblets before you cook it! (Check the neck cavity too.)

Last edited:
No worries. First of all, it's still frozen in the middle. Even if it isn't, it'll be fine. I bought a fresh turkey on Friday and it has a use by date of the day after Thanksgiving.

Thanks. I guess my concern is having such a big thawed out or close to thawed out turkey this early sitting there until Thursday. I usually cook meats that are in the refrigerator within 5 days typically.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Whew I got enough to do to get ready, no need to be worrying. : )

I hope you have the turkey in a pan to catch any juices that may want to escape the packaging. Things that are being thawed in the refrigerator only ever leak when they are sitting directly on the shelf.

I do this every year. Did I start thawing the turkey too soon or not soon enough? This year I'm leaning toward too soon. I'll take a breath and relax. 15 pounder started to defrost on last Thursday. It will go in the brine on Wednesday. It will be fine...it will be fine....=o)

I've got fresh turkeys on ice. After brining tomorrow, they will stay for 48 hours on ice.

I always mean to start thawing on Saturday but usually forget and bring it out Sunday. This year I bought it on Saturday and popped it in the mini fridge to start thawing. Even if it is a little frozen still, the brine will finish the job in short order.

Back
Top Bottom